THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Popped out of 1st gear

05-31-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

Popped out of 1st gear

So my car 228 M Sport, popped out of first gear under normal load leaving a light today. It happened pretty much immediately. It's only done this this one time...are there any clues to look for to tell if there is an issue, or if I just didn't fully engage first? Never had it happen to me. So it caught me by surprise.

There was a slight clunk, and then neutral. Not sure if the shifter popped into neutral because I immediately moved it into neutral, then back into first and all was well...so I'm not sure if I think I moved it into neutral or it was already there.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
3PedalMINI
Saving The Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual 18 M3

Garage List
Probably didnt have it engaged all the way...This happens somewhat frequently in my Wrangler...(i know, apples to rocks) Of course its basically a truck transmission but still..When I was learning stick on my 06 mini this happened a few times too...I wouldnt worry to much.

M235i 5/1/2015 ED July 8th @ 4:40pm with PCD Delivery September 9th Gone July 2nd 2018
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 09:28 AM   #3
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep

I figured I should only worry if it happens multiple times. I've been driving stick about 5 years, and this is the first time I've done it.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 10:25 AM   #4
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post
I figured I should only worry if it happens multiple times. I've been driving stick about 5 years, and this is the first time I've done it.
I recall a couple of other forum members here having the same complaint a few months ago. I don't recall what the resolution was, but perhaps if you can find their posts you can trade notes with them.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #5
jb606
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 430i xDrive

As long as its a one time thing I wouldn't be too worried. You probably didn't have it in gear the whole way. If it starts to happen on a regular basis you'll want to get in touch with the dealer asap.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 03:48 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

If it happens immediately after you select first and release clutch that may be your a tad premature on letting off the clutch or of inserting the lever into the slot
It it pops out of gear after you've selected first and the car had actually travelled a distance with proper gear engagement then it's probably syncromesh or external alignment of the selector linkage.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep

Likely just the gear not fully selected...I've just never done it before and was caught off guard. The car maybe moved 3in before the clunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #8
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Stay very aware of this and keep a watch. It is very rare but my dealer has had 2 manual transmissions that were defective and had a bent gear fork which needed a full gearbox replacement.

I highly highly doubt that's what you have but just keep on the lookout
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #9
TheBumble
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

My 997TT used to pop out of 2nd when I was slowing down (feet off gas and clutch pedals). It took a beating; especially from miss shifts at high RPMS. let's just say it needed a new transmission.

If it happens a few times then I might get concerned. Hard to replicate though. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

A friendly warning: In my experience 2nd gear synchros in those cars can't take even a single moderately hard shift, you need to pause for at least half-a-second between 1st and 2nd.

I was pausing after my 1st gearbox replacement until a fateful day when I didn't pause which immediately destroyed the replacement gearbox (yes, one shift is all it took). Now it grinds and vibrates every time at any moderately swift 2nd gear engagement.

Currently I am in the process of fighting with BMW tooth and nail to replace the replaced gearbox. I am a nervous wreck at this point and regret ever buying M235i. The warning signs were there: cutting corners on grab-handles, spring-less wheel caps, even a cupholder design was made unadjustable compared to 1series to pinch a few pennies. If BMW skimps so much on stuff you see it doesn't bode well for stuff you don't see like gearbox internals.

That being said I think you will be okay if it just popped out of 1st gear: I downshift into 1st gear fairly aggressively in my M235i and never had a problem so the synchro should be durable enough. Just make sure you don't pop out of gear too often, you need to push the lever all the way every time.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
nike001
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post
A friendly warning: In my experience 2nd gear synchros in those cars can't take even a single moderately hard shift, you need to pause for at least half-a-second between 1st and 2nd.
I slam 2nd gear with some decent force every now and then and I've never had any issue.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The 2-series is an entry level car for the U.S. and for most other countries in the world, so it'll have those little 'corner's you say you think are cut (I notice no cut corners).

I guess a BMW wasn't the best choice for you. I always say a true BMW guy won't care how the interior 'feels', they'll enjoy the BMW for what it originally is: a BMW - not just a badge. It's the ultimate driving machine, not the ultimate luxury machine
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #12
Cope
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M, 17' LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelwright View Post

I was pausing after my 1st gearbox replacement until a fateful day when I didn't pause which immediately destroyed the replacement gearbox (yes, one shift is all it took). Now it grinds and vibrates every time at any moderately swift 2nd gear engagement.
Now that's what I would call foreshadowing... I've been considering getting the extended warranty after trouble with the 2nd gear synchro and would hate to pay for it only for them to not warranty their replacement. So far the replacement unit has been fine. I think I'll shell out whatever the cost is to get the transmission fluid changed early. Where the hell is some wood for me to knock on.

They definitely refuse to admit they use some weak ass manual transmissions.