THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Redlined after ~10 min of driving

07-24-2021, 02:58 AM   #1
wantam235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Redlined after ~10 min of driving

Feel like an idiot...

Just got my m235i last week and have had a lot of fun driving it.

On the way home, I floored the car in M1 mode (hung on redline first gear for 0.5 sec as I didn't know I had to manually shift it). I thought it was related to sport+ mode so I did it again and stuck on redline first gear again for another 0.5 seconds.

My question is would the 10 min of driving (at approx 50 mph) be enough to warm the engine and not have caused any damage? I drove the same 10 min route 7 hours before, with weather temperatures dropping 82f to 59f.

I know I sound ridiculous asking this but have I caused any permanent damage and will it effect hp/torque numbers?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantam235i View Post
Feel like an idiot...

Just got my m235i last week and have had a lot of fun driving it.

On the way home, I floored the car in M1 mode (hung on redline first gear for 0.5 sec as I didn't know I had to manually shift it). I thought it was related to sport+ mode so I did it again and stuck on redline first gear again for another 0.5 seconds.

My question is would the 10 min of driving (at approx 50 mph) be enough to warm the engine and not have caused any damage? I drove the same 10 min route 7 hours before, with weather temperatures dropping 82f to 59f.

I know I sound ridiculous asking this but have I caused any permanent damage and will it effect hp/torque numbers?

Thanks
Should be fine, your 12km or so of driving at moderate speeds should have the oil up to full operating temperature.
Appreciate 1