THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Will an intake void warranty?

07-21-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
M2lci_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Will an intake void warranty?

I'm looking into getting an intake for my m240i. Will it void the warranty in any way and does it give a CEL?

P.S. Any intake recommendations/what do you guys use?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 06:41 AM   #2
Ugly Kar
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 to C43 Cab to G42

I think it's very rare any car manufacturer voids a warranty. What they do is deny paying a warranty claim. Any aftermarket part can cause BMW to deny a warranty claim if they deem the part caused the malfunction, which is probably what they will do if you have a blown engine or major engine damage.

So you are stuck regardless. Of course you can try to sue BMW to get them to pay for it, but you have to prove the part didn't cause the damage in court and get a judge or jury to rule in your favor. Then, after you've spent $50k on legal fees you have about a 2% chance of winning against BMW's lawyers. Of course, people will bring up Magnusson-Moss, but have no clue what it actually means.

Although, I admit I don't know the law if Canada, but in the US the rule has always been you have to pay to play. If I put on aftermarket parts and had an issue, I would just consider it a free gift if BMW paid for anything.
Appreciate 1
M2lci_20.50
      07-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Simple answer: no (per the explanation above) and no. Better solution: get a K&N or AFE drop-in filter for your stock airbox - it will give you the most bang for your buck, although it will not change the sound. There may also be a charcoal filter element in the top part of the airbox which you can remove to further remove restriction.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
M2lci_20.50
      07-22-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

No, you shouldn't get a CEL unless you broke the sensor during install.

If you blown your engine while running an intake, then change it back to stock intake before taking it to dealership. Doubt they will know the intake was ever changed.

MST intake!
Appreciate 1
M2lci_20.50
      07-22-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
M2lci_
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Kar View Post
I think it's very rare any car manufacturer voids a warranty. What they do is deny paying a warranty claim. Any aftermarket part can cause BMW to deny a warranty claim if they deem the part caused the malfunction, which is probably what they will do if you have a blown engine or major engine damage.

So you are stuck regardless. Of course you can try to sue BMW to get them to pay for it, but you have to prove the part didn't cause the damage in court and get a judge or jury to rule in your favor. Then, after you've spent $50k on legal fees you have about a 2% chance of winning against BMW's lawyers. Of course, people will bring up Magnusson-Moss, but have no clue what it actually means.

Although, I admit I don't know the law if Canada, but in the US the rule has always been you have to pay to play. If I put on aftermarket parts and had an issue, I would just consider it a free gift if BMW paid for anything.
I think I'm going to gamble on b58's (so far) solid reliability. But some great insight in your answer, much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2021, 08:54 PM   #6
M2lci_
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post
No, you shouldn't get a CEL unless you broke the sensor during install.

If you blown your engine while running an intake, then change it back to stock intake before taking it to dealership. Doubt they will know the intake was ever changed.

MST intake!
I was thinking the same thing. If the worst case scenario happens, I could always swap in the oem part before taking the car in.

Heard some videos of the MST and it sounds great. I was initially looking into the ones from Agency Power and CTS. Do you know how they would stack up against each other or is it just sound preference with minor power differences?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 08:00 AM   #7
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayaan_f22 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. If the worst case scenario happens, I could always swap in the oem part before taking the car in.

Heard some videos of the MST and it sounds great. I was initially looking into the ones from Agency Power and CTS. Do you know how they would stack up against each other or is it just sound preference with minor power differences?
Honestly I don't and would like to find out myself. My guess would be the difference would be negligible. Things to note would be, as you go into exhaust mode and/or downpipe. The intake sound will be a lil less noticeable.

Agency power no longer sell intake for our car I think. I ended up choosing the MST as it have an additional cover at the top which give it half close look design if I think about it now, its probably more for looks. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either and with time, any advantage one has over the others will probably be forgotten.
Appreciate 1
M2lci_20.50