THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Classifieds Members Classifieds Exterior Parts all LED taillight bulbs

07-01-2021, 11:32 PM   #1
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

all LED taillight bulbs

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
I went and upgraded every single bulb (even the reverse fog/aka secondary brake) in my preLCI taillights. Love em, but now a year later I put in 2020 M2 Euro LCI tails. Even the reverse bulbs are different in those, so now these are all for sale.

All as a package, for ALL your tail bulbs:
SIX 1156 red (brake-3 per side)
TWO 1156 amber (turn-1 per side)
TWO 1156 white (reverse-1 per side)
TWO H21W red (fog/secondary brake-1 per side)

All the 1156 bulbs are the top shit you can get from Amazon: SiriusLED and Oxilam. The H21W's are IJMTOY.

$60 shipped UPS

If you need preLCI tails or dont want to take yours apart to install all these bulbs, I can sell you my preLCI tails with these all already installed. Then its just 2 bolts and a wire unplug to install. PM me.

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

pics
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #3
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Put oem bulbs back in, put tails on ebay. Selling LEDs in separate listing. If anyone interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144119783681

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144119794263
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 05:43 AM   #4
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
Put oem bulbs back in, put tails on ebay. Selling LEDs in separate listing. If anyone interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144119783681

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144119794263
Hello.What year 2series did you run these on? Plug and play? Any coding involved or dash lights triggered when used?
Do you happen to have before and after install pics of the tail lights for comparison?
Thanks for info!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 01:15 PM   #5
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

2017 M240

They plug into the stock bulb location.

I coded all tail bulbs to "LED" when I installed, so never had a CE light had them flash. I know at least some of the bulbs are canbus (no CE light) but LEDs will flash without coding, so you'd need to code to install these.

Here is my video comparing the LED bulbs in the 2017 tailight (right) with 2020 M2 euro tailights (left)

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=111
Appreciate 1
Resoelg224.50
      07-22-2021, 06:42 AM   #6
Resoelg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 ZV-Blue

Garage List
24 G87  [10.00]
Quote:
2017 M240

They plug into the stock bulb location.

I coded all tail bulbs to "LED" when I installed, so never had a CE light had them flash. I know at least some of the bulbs are canbus (no CE light) but LEDs will flash without coding, so you'd need to code to install these.

Here is my video comparing the LED bulbs in the 2017 tailight (right) with 2020 M2 euro tailights (left)

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...;postcount=111
Thanks for the info my man.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Jayhiggins14: when I replied to your PM it says "Jayhiggins14 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed"

So I'll paste it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhiggins14
Hi, I'm interested in your lights. I have a 2017 m240 so it should work for me correct? Also how involved is the install process?
Taking the taillight out is a breeze. Only two bolts hold it in, you just need a long deep socket (I think it was 10mm). Once those are out, the only trick is to pull just the right way for it to pop out (after the two bolts are out there are two pressure tabs still holding it in). Then the taillight is in your hand, there is one multi wire plug that goes from the car to the taillight. Unplug and now the taillight is free from the car.

Now the not fun part. All the bulbs are in a sealed waterproof area with the electronics. The taillight is basically two plastic shells held together with 8 to 10 pop tabs. Once these pop tabs have been opened, they are a lot easier to pop again in the future. If they have never been opened since your car was new (you never had a bulb changed on that side), they're a real whore to get open. Years of not moving and dirt buildup makes them not want to release if they've been undisturbed a long time.

The issue is each corner of the "shell" needs 2 or 3 pop tabs off simultaneously before the whole corner comes loose. Open one pop tab, and it will pop back in when you go to the next one. I use 4 tiny screwdrivers, one to push the tab in, a second one to pull the tab away while the first holds it open. Then the third and fourth go on either side of the tab on the shell to hold it open a few mm so the tab doesnt snap closed again when you move on to the next one.

Once all the tabs are not clicked shut, the shell comes off and all the bulbs are exposed and easy to swap.

This probably all makes no sense, the first time you do it you will be cursing, then come back and read this again and it will all make sense. Once you've done it once, the tabs are now loose from their years of dirt and not moving and you know what you'd doing and its easy.

I first tried selling the taillights I have with the LED bulbs already installed figuring someone would want to avoid all that, but nobody took me up on it. If you're mechanically inclined and have patience its easy, just a pain the first time. I figured someone not mechanically inclined would buy everything already installed to avoid the hassle. I moved on to euro amber 2020 M2 blackline taillights.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #8
Jayhiggins14
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw m240i xdrive

Quote:
Jayhiggins14: when I replied to your PM it says "Jayhiggins14 has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed"

So I'll paste it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhiggins14
Hi, I'm interested in your lights. I have a 2017 m240 so it should work for me correct? Also how involved is the install process?
Taking the taillight out is a breeze. Only two bolts hold it in, you just need a long deep socket (I think it was 10mm). Once those are out, the only trick is to pull just the right way for it to pop out (after the two bolts are out there are two pressure tabs still holding it in). Then the taillight is in your hand, there is one multi wire plug that goes from the car to the taillight. Unplug and now the taillight is free from the car.

Now the not fun part. All the bulbs are in a sealed waterproof area with the electronics. The taillight is basically two plastic shells held together with 8 to 10 pop tabs. Once these pop tabs have been opened, they are a lot easier to pop again in the future. If they have never been opened since your car was new (you never had a bulb changed on that side), they're a real whore to get open. Years of not moving and dirt buildup makes them not want to release if they've been undisturbed a long time.

The issue is each corner of the "shell" needs 2 or 3 pop tabs off simultaneously before the whole corner comes loose. Open one pop tab, and it will pop back in when you go to the next one. I use 4 tiny screwdrivers, one to push the tab in, a second one to pull the tab away while the first holds it open. Then the third and fourth go on either side of the tab on the shell to hold it open a few mm so the tab doesnt snap closed again when you move on to the next one.

Once all the tabs are not clicked shut, the shell comes off and all the bulbs are exposed and easy to swap.

This probably all makes no sense, the first time you do it you will be cursing, then come back and read this again and it will all make sense. Once you've done it once, the tabs are now loose from their years of dirt and not moving and you know what you'd doing and its easy.

I first tried selling the taillights I have with the LED bulbs already installed figuring someone would want to avoid all that, but nobody took me up on it. If you're mechanically inclined and have patience its easy, just a pain the first time. I figured someone not mechanically inclined would buy everything already installed to avoid the hassle. I moved on to euro amber 2020 M2 blackline taillights.
Thank you for the VERY detailed response haha. I'm very interested, I was wondering why nobody was responding to my messages…. Let me look into fixing that
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #9
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nope, your PMs are still not working. Same error.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 01:20 PM   #10
Jayhiggins14
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 bmw m240i xdrive

Quote:
Nope, your PMs are still not working. Same error.
No clue why that's happening, is it sold??
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #11
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah I put the link to them on ebay, after a week they sold.

I'd ask a moderator whats up with your PMs. I think there was a rule you cant PM before a certain number of posts and your profile says you have 3, thats probably it.
Appreciate 1