THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Anyone Else Hate the Coolant Expansion Tank?

06-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #1
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Anyone Else Hate the Coolant Expansion Tank?

This is driving me crazy. I've been trying to clean up the engine bay just a bit and the one thing I can't seem to get around is the tank. Im very used to clean engine bays as I typically love creating show cars with empty engine bays and I understand the functionality of having a translucent coolant expansion tank, but to be honest, it throws the whole look of the bay off. Anyone have any idea as to an aftermarket solution or replacement to reduce its unappealing look? What do y'all think, does the look of this bother anyone else? Image attached:
Attached Images

06-04-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

It doesn't bother me at all. Most expansion tanks are of a white, semi-translucent plastic.

Good luck with creating a minimalist engine bay in a late model car, especially a German one

Take it out, clean it, scuff it, spray a few coats of Bulldog adhesion promotor, and paint it with a paint that can tolerate around 250 degrees. Done.
      06-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
mikeysosa
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

Garage List
1995 Mazda Miata  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It doesn't bother me at all. Most expansion tanks are of a white, semi-translucent plastic.

Good luck with creating a minimalist engine bay in a late model car, especially a German one

Take it out, clean it, scuff it, spray a few coats of Bulldog adhesion promotor, and paint it with a paint that can tolerate around 250 degrees. Done.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, although I really was hoping there was some sort of replacement, similar to how the E92 has an all aluminum Mishimoto coolant expansion tank on the market. I may just have to fabricate something like that myself for the look I'm going for
      06-30-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
Erok77
Registered
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i

Rit dye in really hot water. Can find videos of this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+plastic+parts

Last edited by Erok77; 06-30-2021 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0