THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Technology Upgrade Notification

05-07-2021, 07:17 AM   #1
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Technology Upgrade Notification

We received the following email from BMWUSA yesterday. Anyone know exactly what the upgrade involves? Any chance the upgrade will give us the ability to add Apple Car Play?

There are important ConnectedDrive service changes affecting your 2016 2 Series, Vehicle Identification Number ending in XXXX.

As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022 your vehicle will no longer be able to receive some or all ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services, such as BMW Assist eCall, Advanced Real‑Time Traffic Information, Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.

The decision to phase out 3G network technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.

Based on your vehicle model, you are eligible for a technology upgrade to maintain functionality of BMW ConnectedDrive services.

For more details, please refer to the 3G Cellular Technology Discontinuation Frequently Asked Questions or contact BMW Customer Relations at 800‑831‑1117.

BMW ConnectedDrive
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #2
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
I would assume it's just to give you a new 4g modem, I doubt they would add carplay as that depends on the head unit and the modem is in the trunk under the floor cover so that could just be installed in place there
Appreciate 1
shark715166.00
      05-08-2021, 06:50 PM   #3
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Lucky you. I've got a 2014, and the email I got basically said sorry, nothing for you. It will just stop working.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:26 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
Lucky you. I've got a 2014, and the email I got basically said sorry, nothing for you. It will just stop working.
I have a '15 and have had no communication from them?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:51 AM   #5
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I have a '15 and have had no communication from them?
I have yet to see anything on 15 F23, but they may have just changed it when it was serviced in March
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [9.00]
I have a '17 M240i, not sure what modem is in the thing, but zero communication. I did notice the real-time traffic data shows as unavailable for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I found the part of the BMW website for my VIN for these services. The below apparently will continue on my 2015 until 2024, which makes ten years exactly from the date of delivery. Any "Connected Service" or "Real Time Traffic" services are shown as unavailable. Not at all clear why some services will continue, but not others.
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #8
shark715
Captain
Rep

In bold below is more info from the Connected Drive website.

So I called the dealer last week to schedule an appointment for the free technology upgrade, and they had no idea what I was referring to.

While we were on the phone they looked up the records of my car by VIN number, and they did see a note referring to the technology upgrade, but again were not familiar with it.

I was told they would research the issue with BMW, and they told me they would call back to schedule the upgrade, or the Service Department Assistant Manager would call me back if there were any questions. Thus far I've heard nothing.

Over the weekend I did notice Real Time Traffic Info (RITI) was no longer working. Apparently I never noticed the RITI subscription had expired as the car has not seen much use over the past year due to the pandemic. But despite the language below the BMW Connected website allowed me to pay the $50 fee and buy a new one year RITI subscription, and RITI is working again:

Last Updated: April 22, 2021
The upcoming discontinuation of 3G cellular technology will impact our BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist
services offering.
Customers with active BMW Connected/BMW Assist contracts that are affected will be notified via email or
First-Class Mail.
1. Why is it no longer possible to renew ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services for my vehicle?
Due to a phasing out of the 3G network by cellular carriers, ConnectedDrive services can no longer be
supported starting February 2022 for select vehicles. The decision to phase out 3G network technology
was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and lies beyond the control of BMW.
BMW is in the process of assessing options to ensure that BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist renewals
are only sold within the timeframe that services can be supported. Currently, service renewals are not
possible, as they are sold for one-year terms. For customers who had one or more ConnectedDrive
services expiring between February 2021 – February 2022, a complimentary Connected Package
Professional or BMW Assist Safety Plan subscription was automatically activated for their BMW vehicle
until February 1, 2022. Such a vehicle will receive all services within the Connected Package
Professional or BMW Assist Safety Plan that it is technically capable of receiving. Please note that not
all services may be available due to optional equipment required (e.g., Navigation is required for
Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information).
To ensure customers receive the complimentary services, they will need to “Update Services” via
iDrive. Depending on the vehicle, this is done by selecting “Apps” > “All Apps” > Press “Options” button
> “Update apps and services”, or ConnectedDrive > Press “Options” button > “Update BMW Assist.” If
after performing this update services are unavailable , please contact BMW Assist Customer Care at 1-
888-333-6118 or customercare@bmwassist.com.
2. What services are affected?
As a result of the sunset of 3G service by wireless carrier partners, by February 2022, vehicles factoryequipped with 3G telematics devices or retrofitted 2G vehicles will no longer be able to receive any
ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
3G CELLULAR TECHNOLOGY
DISCONTINUATION.
The Ultimate Driving Machine®
Some vehicles factory-equipped with 4G telematics devices will no longer have access to services that
require a voice connection, such as BMW Assist eCall and Concierge Services, but will continue to
receive certain ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services such as Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information,
Remote Services and BMW Online, depending on your BMW model.
3. My original contract for ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services expires after February 1, 2022.
How will this change affect me?
You will receive additional information from BMW. Some vehicles may be eligible for a technology
upgrade to maintain functionality.
4. My contract for ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist services is active but expires before February 1,
2022. Will I be able to use my services until then?
If you currently have an active ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist contract that expires in or after
February 2022, your services will continue to work until February 2022.
For customers who had one or more ConnectedDrive services expiring between February 2021 –
February 2022, a complimentary Connected Package Professional or BMW Assist Safety Plan
subscription was automatically activated for their BMW vehicle until February 1, 2022. Such a
vehicle will receive all services within the Connected Package Professional or BMW Assist Safety
Plan that it is technically capable of receiving. Please note that not all services may be available
due to optional equipment required (e.g., Navigation is required for Advanced Real-Time Traffic
Information).
To ensure customers receive the complimentary services, they will need to “Update Services” via
iDrive. Depending on the vehicle, this is done by selecting “Apps” > “All Apps” > Press “Options”
button > “Update apps and services”, or ConnectedDrive > Press “Options” button > “Update
BMW Assist.” If after performing this update services are unavailable, please contact BMW Assist
Customer Care at 1-888-333-6118 or customercare@bmwassist.com.
Customers affected by this 3G cellular technology discontinuation are unable to purchase or renew
services. To ensure that BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist renewals are only sold within the
timeframe that services can be supported, BMW has stopped selling one-year service renewals as
of February 1, 2021. This was done proactively so that renewal service contracts would not extend
beyond February 2022.
5. Can a customer upgrade their vehicle to newer technology that would support
ConnectedDrive/BMW Assist?
Not all BMW vehicles will be eligible for a technology upgrade. Customers will be notified via email
or First-Class Mail about whether their vehicles are eligible for an upgrade or not.
6. I received a notice that my vehicle is eligible for a technology upgrade. What are my next
steps?
If you received an email or postal mailing stating that your vehicle is eligible for a technology
upgrade, please schedule an appointment with your local BMW Center to receive the upgrade,
which will be free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:14 AM   #9
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggggbmw View Post
Is this a recipe for a class action suit?

IIRC correctly when we bought ours we paid significantly for the Technology Package and I don't recall any disclaimer before we bought the car warning us BMW might cancel the service in the future.

I assume you did the same?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 11:32 AM   #10
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Is this a recipe for a class action suit?

IIRC correctly when we bought ours we paid significantly for the Technology Package and I don't recall any disclaimer before we bought the car warning us BMW might cancel the service in the future.

I assume you did the same?
Good point; however, the fine print, within the contract, has an escape clause such as a unilateral right to change service. Unfortunately, we neither read the fine print or ignore it; thereby accepting it when we purchase the vehicle.

OEMs are rigid in not accepting changes to their standard Terms & Conditions. If they were not, then the price of a car would be astronomical.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:16 PM   #11
shark715
Captain
Rep

My apologies. RITI is actually RTTI
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 12:45 PM   #12
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ007 View Post
Good point; however, the fine print, within the contract, has an escape clause such as a unilateral right to change service. Unfortunately, we neither read the fine print or ignore it; thereby accepting it when we purchase the vehicle.

OEMs are rigid in not accepting changes to their standard Terms & Conditions. If they were not, then the price of a car would be astronomical.
I'm no attorney, but a crafty attorney might suggest us buyers were not shown the fine print (as you said, no doubt there's a disclaimer or disclaimers somewhere in the paperwork) until after we were locked into buying the car (in our case we did European Delivery and IIRC were not shown the Connected Drive paperwork until the we had owned the car for a couple of months and we took final delivery at the dealer here in U.S), therefore the terms were forced upon us, and that provision of the contract is unenforceable + it's inherently unfair to have a paid significant $ for something the other party can unilaterally stop providing at any time.

I suspect my attorney friends might say the situation has "settlement value" after reviewing all the details :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 01:21 PM   #13
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
I'm no attorney, but a crafty attorney might suggest us buyers were not shown the fine print (as you said, no doubt there's a disclaimer or disclaimers somewhere in the paperwork) until after we were locked into buying the car (in our case we did European Delivery and IIRC were not shown the Connected Drive paperwork until the we had owned the car for a couple of months and we took final delivery at the dealer here in U.S), therefore the terms were forced upon us, and that provision of the contract is unenforceable + it's inherently unfair to have a paid significant $ for something the other party can unilaterally stop providing at any time.

I suspect my attorney friends might say the situation has "settlement value" after reviewing all the details :-)
While I concur your case is different and would allow for a "settlement value", fair and contract law do not necessarily go hand in hand. Based on my experience managing contracts, I've always applied the following phrase before engaging legal for arbitration:

"What would a reasonably, prudent person think/do?"

The Arbiter or Judge would be asking THAT question.

Good luck.
Appreciate 2
shark715166.00
Mogki34.00
      05-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #14
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

shark715 Thanks for posting the bold text of the info from the connected drive site. That is essentially the same information I got in the email. Except, no mention of a technology upgrade.

After spelunking some threads in the 3 series forum, and some postings on a similar thread I had started in the 'Navigation, iDrive,...' section (https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1819108), it looks like 2014 and early 2015 with the NBT (non Evo) head unit are out of luck. There is no modem upgrade for these. The modem and head unit use a completely different technology than the Evo modem. 3G only, and no alternative hardware to upgrade to.

Some 2015's with NBT Evo head units may have a hardware upgrade available to them. I suspect that the early modems on the Evo head units aren't fully 4G. But, since the modem interface is the same as later Evo, hardware upgrade is possible. Poochie has a lot of good comments in the above thread.

In theory, I still have a 10 year subscription to all the telematics. But my car just won't be able to reach them anymore. And yes, I got a years worth of free ConnectedDrive. But that still doesn't make me happy that a nice feature on this car will no longer work.
Appreciate 3
      05-18-2021, 09:20 AM   #15
Tfmala
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW m235

Just recently purchased a used 2016 m235. Also just recently got the email advising of end of service for 3g. I was advised by email that my car was eligible for a technology upgrade and to contact the dealer. In the FAQ section it stated it was free. I printed that out and would recommend since not all dealers may be up to speed on it. I set up an appointment this past Saturday. The advisor initially indicated that he thought it was just a software upgrade, howeve, the tech came back and indicated that the trunk module needed to be upgraded (there are two, one in the engine compartment and the second in the trunk). Unfortunately, the part was on back order(from Germany) and they have ordered it and will contact me when it’s in. Confirmed it is a warranty issue at no cost to me. Hope this helps everyone who has gotten the email.

My car does show 4g. The email indicated that the SOS and Customer Care contact would be shut off if I didn’t have the upgrade. Everything else (Such as it is) would still work.
Appreciate 1
shark715166.00
      05-18-2021, 10:05 AM   #16
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So I called the dealer last week to schedule an appointment for the free technology upgrade, and they had no idea what I was referring to.

While we were on the phone they looked up the records of my car by VIN number, and they did see a note referring to the technology upgrade, but again were not familiar with it.

I was told they would research the issue with BMW, and they told me they would call back to schedule the upgrade, or the Service Department Assistant Manager would call me back if there were any questions. Thus far I've heard nothing.
10 days passed and I never heard anything back from the dealer, Springfield (New Jersey) BMW. Nice people, but this is not the first time I've experienced lousy follow through in their Service Department. And I made the mistake of not making a note of the name of the person I spoke to.

So I called again, and this time I spoke to Jasmine Congery, who was a lot more interested in helping me. She asked me to forward the email from BMWUSA, and she had answers for me within an hour. What Tfmala said about the dealers not being up to speed on this seems to be spot on.

Jasmine said they need to look at the car to determine if it's a software upgrade or a hardware upgrade that's needed. I'm surprised they can't determine this based on the VIN, but at least we now have an appointment for next week for them to look at it.

Suspect my visit is going to get the same result as Tfmala as ours is also a '16 (build date August 2015) and it sounds like I received the exact same email stating our car is eligible for the upgrade. Too bad they can't just order the parts now and have us bring the car in just once, but at least Springfield BMW usually has decent loaner cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #17
MLJR235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235I

2015 M235I here with "Production Date: 2015-04-14"

*I have received email from BMW NA stating the car is upgrade compatible
* Checked modem unit in the trunk and it indeed states 4G on it

Have scheduled service appt with dealer and will provide update.
      05-21-2021, 03:39 PM   #18
Tfmala
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW m235

Rec’d call from the dealer. The part is in. I set up the appt for next Saturday. He was surprised at how quick the part came in. Stated that if it’s back ordered from Germany it usually takes awhile. I don’t suspect I’ll see a major difference once the part is installed but I’ll keep everyone updated once it’s installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 04:56 PM   #19
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Curious as to the cost. I have no nav on my 2, but we do have it on our 2016 X3, built in September 2015, for which we got the notice of doom.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 07:11 PM   #20
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphomeman View Post
Curious as to the cost. I have no nav on my 2, but we do have it on our 2016 X3, built in September 2015, for which we got the notice of doom.
Here, I'm still rolling with a $250 Garmin aftermarket NAV unit with lifetime updates. It's got minor issues, but updates and general usability aren't among them.

For me, being able to place the unit just out of my general line-of-sight next to the driver's-side A-pillar is a huge plus over taking my eyes off the road to look down and off to the side at a conventional NAV display. I suspect, but don't really know, that being untethered to BMW's update routine is a bonus, too.

I learned many decades ago to plan out my trips ahead of time so as to avoid inconvenient surprises. At the time, that was just common sense and what we all did, and using that facility continues to be worth the trouble for me. And yes, my Garmin will tell me where the nearest pizza shop is no matter where I am, but that's not what I use it for.

Generally, I use the Garmin to tell me how much longer it's going to take me to reach my destination. That is, by far, its greatest utility to me.

Having seen how impressively all-encompassing these devices (and similar online services) can be, I still would never think of using them to tell me how to get to a destination.

I remember people driving onto our rural property in Northern New England thinking they could get somewhere and being flummoxed by the fact that the road they were following took them onto a forest track that they were then forced to accept was taking them nowhere they wanted to go.

Those folks would come to the door and ask "Where are we?". We always tried to help them to take roads that would allow them to reach their desired destinations.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 08:05 PM   #21
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Here, I'm still rolling with a $250 Garmin aftermarket NAV unit with lifetime updates. It's got minor issues, but updates and general usability aren't among them.

For me, being able to place the unit just out of my general line-of-sight next to the driver's-side A-pillar is a huge plus over taking my eyes off the road to look down and off to the side at a conventional NAV display. I suspect, but don't really know, that being untethered to BMW's update routine is a bonus, too.

I learned many decades ago to plan out my trips ahead of time so as to avoid inconvenient surprises. At the time, that was just common sense and what we all did, and using that facility continues to be worth the trouble for me. And yes, my Garmin will tell me where the nearest pizza shop is no matter where I am, but that's not what I use it for.

Generally, I use the Garmin to tell me how much longer it's going to take me to reach my destination. That is, by far, its greatest utility to me.

Having seen how impressively all-encompassing these devices (and similar online services) can be, I still would never think of using them to tell me how to get to a destination.

I remember people driving onto our rural property in Northern New England thinking they could get somewhere and being flummoxed by the fact that the road they were following took them onto a forest track that they were then forced to accept was taking them nowhere they wanted to go.

Those folks would come to the door and ask "Where are we?". We always tried to help them to take roads that would allow them to reach their desired destinations.
Excellent points. I too have a Garmin with the lifetime updates, because new car dealers wanted alot of money for what a $250 Garmin would do. Plus, putting the Garmin where you want is nice too.

Now that we live in the future, it seems Navigation is being thrown in. My new G29 is coming with a HUD and it will show the nav, but is it really a leap forward or a distraction in your immediate field of view.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4392.50
      05-22-2021, 07:30 AM   #22
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
The advantage of built-in navigation is that it is integrated into the car. I must confess that I do like the little arrow that sits in front of the driver and tells me when and where to turn. Also, you don't have another doo-hickey sticking out of the dash or wherever, with a power cord attached to it.
What annoys me most about the current issue is that folks paid a large premium for this system, only to have the manufacturer abandon them on account of technology upgrades.
Appreciate 0