THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Help with squeaking in vert

10-16-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
Propeller
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

Help with squeaking in vert

Hi,
New to the forum. Took possession of a MG 235i (AT) vert in May. I've just crossed 2,500 km. I was driving with the top up and windows closed recently (I believe it was the first time since I took possession - I always drive with the top down), and was getting this very annoying squeaking noise from the roof/side window, right beside my head. This occurs when driving over anything but smooth pavement. My son noticed the same squeaking from the passenger side roof/side window area. When I open the window a crack, no squeaking. Close the window - squeaking. It is driving me crazy.
Has anyone experience same?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Yep, I've taken mine in twice for the same reason, although just for the drivers window. It's going back in again and this time they are going to look at the alignment of the windows and seal.

Drives ya crazy!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #3
Propeller
Canada
Rep

Update...

I stopped by the dealer, spoke with my sales person and he went and got one of the technicians to come for a drive. Before we went for the drive the tech took one look at the weather-stripping and immediately went back in to the shop and got a bottle of BMW weather-strip lubricant. He applied it to all the weather-strip on both doors and roof. We went for the drive, and not a squeak! At least it is fixed for the time being.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2015, 05:44 PM   #4
YoungTurk
Private
Rep
Drives:

GummiPfledge. BMW verts have needed this applied to the rubber window seals since at least 1994.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propeller View Post
Update...

I stopped by the dealer, spoke with my sales person and he went and got one of the technicians to come for a drive. Before we went for the drive the tech took one look at the weather-stripping and immediately went back in to the shop and got a bottle of BMW weather-strip lubricant. He applied it to all the weather-strip on both doors and roof. We went for the drive, and not a squeak! At least it is fixed for the time being.
They treated/cleaned mine the first time, and it was good for about a week. The second time they did the same thing and said if it came back they would check the window alignment...

I'll mention this to them
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 12:50 PM   #6
Propeller
Canada
Rep

Update #2
Well the squeaking is back. The weather strip lube is only temporary.

OpenAir, any new info with regards to your dealer visit to check the window alignment?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 01:14 PM   #7
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Step #1: Go to dealership

Step #2: Buy coupe

Step #3: No squeeking!

All joking aside, hope it gets resolved for you! I have heard this from a few members
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
Vector Pilot
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 28i

I have leased three Z4's one soft top and two hard tops, and all experienced the same problem, window did not close completely resulting with an annoying squeak. The remedy, for all three, re-adjust or more accurately reprogram the mechanism that powers the window. Perhaps that's the source of your problem.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #9
BPC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

I have always considered the occasional squeaks part of the price of a convertible. Opening/closing the window is a temporary fix. Sometimes the passage of time fixes it. And there is always a louder radio.

That said, I will be monitoring this thread for what look like several good suggestions
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #10
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Propeller View Post
Update #2
Well the squeaking is back. The weather strip lube is only temporary.

OpenAir, any new info with regards to your dealer visit to check the window alignment?
It is actually at the dealership right now having all the windows re-aligned.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:24 PM   #11
minestro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

My 228i does the same thing. I thought it was normal since it is a convertible. My previous 2009 Z4 did the same thing. It is annoying but I guess you get used to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by minestro View Post
My 228i does the same thing. I thought it was normal since it is a convertible. My previous 2009 Z4 did the same thing. It is annoying but I guess you get used to it.
No!!!
Don't get used to it. Get it fixed.

For the 6+ years I had my 128i cabrio and the 6+ months I had my 2015 228i cabrio I never had any squeeking or creaking of any of my windows.
For the 1st week of ownership of my new M235xi cabrio there was no noise, but then last week, when my wife and I came back to the parking lot from our lunch at a local restaurant, I noticed both the front passenger and drivers window had dropped about 1/2". I assumed that either I had accidentally hit the window buttons when I got out of the car (unlikely) or there was some software glitch in the window controller or elsewhere which activated the window while we were at lunch.
Almost immediately I got squeaking and creaking coming from the top of the drivers window where the window is up against the rubber molding.
The squeaking and creaking takes place over the most minor road imperfections - so it is almost constant.
It's no biggee, but why put up with a minor annoyance when you know it can be fixed.
So my 235 is going in on Thursday for a fix-it.
Will provide update after fix takes place.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

We are experiencing the same with our brand new 235xi cabrio too.

BTW, this type of issue is not unique to BMW. Our Mercedes SLK (retractable hardtop) has made similar noises for years, and the colder the weather the worse it is. Mercedes makes a similar product for the roof seals, and they need to be treated pretty much every year to stop the noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 04:29 AM   #14
shark715
Captain
Rep

Bimmerfile, did you get yours repaired yesterday? Ours has quickly become worse...like you mentioned, almost constantly making noise now.

Open air, did the window alignment solve the problem on yours?

I wonder if opening and closing the top might cause things to somehow better fit and stop the noise. I may try that this weekend. So far as we know our top has not been open in nearly two months. We were in Austria after taking European Delivery on the car, and one day it was warm enough for some topless driving.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #15
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark715 View Post
Bimmerfile, did you get yours repaired yesterday? Ours has quickly become worse...like you mentioned, almost constantly making noise now.

Open air, did the window alignment solve the problem on yours?

I wonder if opening and closing the top might cause things to somehow better fit and stop the noise. I may try that this weekend. So far as we know our top has not been open in nearly two months. We were in Austria after taking European Delivery on the car, and one day it was warm enough for some topless driving.
Well, my visit to the dealership was a real disappointment.
One of the mechanics took it for a test drive and heard what he thought was ticking coming from the top of the drivers window, but indicated that it wasn't unusual for ragtops and to try fixing it would require removing panels yada-yada and that could make it worse.
The creaking seems to be worse when driving rather slowly at city speeds over minor paved road imperfections. To me, it sounds like the top of the drivers window rubbing on weather stripping.
Prior to the M235xi, I had my 1er cabrio for over 6 years and the 228i cabrio for about 7 months and never had any such issues. Both were rock-solid.
Maybe the stiffer suspension on the M235i vis-a-vis the 128i cabrio and 228i cabrio is the cause of the problem. Dunno, but it is a bit of an irritant.
Looks like I will have to live with it.
Kinda miss the 228i.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 12:07 PM   #16
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Well, my visit to the dealership was a real disappointment.
One of the mechanics took it for a test drive and heard what he thought was ticking coming from the top of the drivers window, but indicated that it wasn't unusual for ragtops and to try fixing it would require removing panels yada-yada and that could make it worse..
Actually a big part of me agrees with what the mechanic is saying. No doubt at the dealer level they don't have the tools and experience to make it all fit correctly the way they do at the factory. I would prefer to not have them have to touch it. But it's getting worse, and it's really irritating as the sound is coming from right next to my ear. And it's loud enough that my GF says she can clearly hear it from the passenger seat.

I have an 11-year-old Porsche Carrera Cabrio that does not make any noises like this, and never has.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Actually a big part of me agrees with what the mechanic is saying. No doubt at the dealer level they don't have the tools and experience to make it all fit correctly the way they do at the factory. I would prefer to not have them have to touch it. But it's getting worse, and it's really irritating as the sound is coming from right next to my ear. And it's loud enough that my GF says she can clearly hear it from the passenger seat.

I have an 11-year-old Porsche Carrera Cabrio that does not make any noises like this, and never has.
Update:
Problem may be solved.
Mine was getting worse as well. I remembered I still had some Gummi Pflege I had used on the weather stripping and seals on my 128i ragtop several year ago. I applied it several hours ago on the rubber seal above the drivers window (keeping the window down while the Gummi Pfledge dried) - and when we took the M235i out for lunch a while ago - not a peep.
Don't know how long it will last 'til I start hearing anything (if ever), but if I do, I'll just re-apply another coating of Gummi Pfledge.
So my thinking that the noise is created by the top of the window rubbing against the weather stripping is probably correct and the Gummi Pfledge dries to a very smooth slippery but dry finish which prevents or reduces glass on rubber creaking noises.
So I'm optimistic that this will be the long term solution.

You can get Gummi Pfledge on Amazon.ca (for Canucks) or Amazon.com (for Yanks)..
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
shark715
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
Update:
Problem may be solved.
Mine was getting worse as well. I remembered I still had some Gummi Pflege I had used on the weather stripping and seals on my 128i ragtop several year ago. I applied it several hours ago on the rubber seal above the drivers window (keeping the window down while the Gummi Pfledge dried) - and when we took the M235i out for lunch a while ago - not a peep.
Don't know how long it will last 'til I start hearing anything (if ever), but if I do, I'll just re-apply another coating of Gummi Pfledge.
So my thinking that the noise is created by the top of the window rubbing against the weather stripping is probably correct and the Gummi Pfledge dries to a very smooth slippery but dry finish which prevents or reduces glass on rubber creaking noises.
So I'm optimistic that this will be the long term solution.

You can get Gummi Pfledge on Amazon.ca (for Canucks) or Amazon.com (for Yanks)..
I definitely agree with you on the source of the noise.

Yeah, I may end up trying Gummi Pfledge, with bringing the car to the dealer as a last resort.

We also own a Mercedes SLK (retractable hardtop), and Mercedes makes a similar product that needs to be applied from time to time to stop the creaking. On that car, clearly there's a relationship between the ambient temperature and the amount of creaking.

My guess is you will need the Gummi Pfledge again in the not too distant future. I don't know about you, but if that's what it needs 3 or 4 times a year, I can live with that.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #19
minestro
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

I just got my car back, and there is no noise coming from the driver's window. The only thing they did was cleaned top of window and A-pillar gasket because for some reason there was excess grime and dirt in the gasket. I will have to wait and see if that solved the problem. So far, so good.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #20
shark715
Captain
Rep

I did buy the Gummi Plfege on Amazon, and it does seem to be working so far (2 days after applying it). But as of today I'm hearing a similar noise from the passenger side of the car, and I'm planning to treat that side tomorrow.

Wonder if perhaps the salt air the cars are exposed to on the way across the pond causes the rubber to harden a bit, which causes the noise?

BTW, it was 63 degrees here in North Jersey today, and it was warm enough to drive with the top down for the first time since we have had car here in the U.S. (we did European Delivery, and one day when we were in Austria in mid October it was warm enough for topless motoring).

Forecast to be even warmer here tomorrow. Amazing, but a bit scary...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #21
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
I did buy the Gummi Plfege on Amazon, and it does seem to be working so far (2 days after applying it). But as of today I'm hearing a similar noise from the passenger side of the car, and I'm planning to treat that side tomorrow.

Wonder if perhaps the salt air the cars are exposed to on the way across the pond causes the rubber to harden a bit, which causes the noise?
Not so much the hardness, just the fact that the surface rubber naturally has a lot of friction. As the car flexes around, that friction turns into squeaking noises.

By putting a lubricant on the surface, you're not changing the softness/durometer of the rubber, just lubricating the surface so it can move more easily without binding to the glass and squeaking.
      12-14-2015, 05:29 PM   #22
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Ya gotta add some Gummi Pfledge, cured all my issues!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
Appreciate 0