THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Bootmod3 Newbie Help

07-23-2021, 03:51 AM   #1
waxfigure
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Bootmod3 Newbie Help

I currently own a 2016 M235i RWD 8AT that I bought back in 2019 as CPO. It is currently at 55k miles and I am planning on doing BM3 stage 1, see how it is, then decide if I want to go with stage 2.

Following preventive maintenance has been done:
-front & rear brake rotors & pads
-coolant & brake fluid flush
-vrsf charge pipe
-afe air filter
-engine oil
-belt

I have a few noob questions and would appreciate it if some of the experts on here can help me get started.

Here are my questions:

-Can you really feel the difference with stage 1 on 91 ACN vs stock? I heard 93 makes a good amount of difference but haven't heard anything yet on 91 ACN (I live in Cali and kind of far away from e85 so I will be running low quality 91 that we get out here)

-I'm about to get my spark plugs replaced. Though I will be starting out with Stage 1, I am thinking that I will probably move on to Stage 2 by next year. Should I be getting stock plugs or NGK step colder spark plugs?

-Should I be concerned about getting my differential or transmission flushed anytime soon?

-Anything else I should worry about?

Thanks ahead!

Last edited by waxfigure; 07-23-2021 at 04:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
Efftooto
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

First, congrats on the car. I have the same except for the ZF auto (AWD).
While I don't have ACN here in Canada, I did compare 91 to 93. There is a definite difference between Stage 1 and stock. You will feel it right away. 93 is better, but Stage 1 is definitely an improvement over stock.
Stay with the OEM plugs, or Bosch equivalent. Our plugs are 1 stage colder than the N54 plugs and will suffice through to Stage 2. Any more mods than that get the NGK 97506.
I did my transmission flush at about 80K (get the FCPEuro kit).
Change your oil more regularly once tuned. I do mine about every 6000 miles.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 10:20 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

the difference is noticeable from stock to stage 1, no matter which octane you use

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 04:40 PM   #4
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxfigure View Post
I currently own a 2016 M235i RWD 8AT that I bought back in 2019 as CPO. It is currently at 55k miles and I am planning on doing BM3 stage 1, see how it is, then decide if I want to go with stage 2.

Following preventive maintenance has been done:
-front & rear brake rotors & pads
-coolant & brake fluid flush
-vrsf charge pipe
-afe air filter
-engine oil
-belt

I have a few noob questions and would appreciate it if some of the experts on here can help me get started.

Here are my questions:

-Can you really feel the difference with stage 1 on 91 ACN vs stock? I heard 93 makes a good amount of difference but haven't heard anything yet on 91 ACN (I live in Cali and kind of far away from e85 so I will be running low quality 91 that we get out here) Yes you will notice a difference. Any tune, even the M2 tune that is offered through BM3 will be noticeable.

-I'm about to get my spark plugs replaced. Though I will be starting out with Stage 1, I am thinking that I will probably move on to Stage 2 by next year. Should I be getting stock plugs or NGK step colder spark plugs? I will personally suggest the NGK 97506.

-Should I be concerned about getting my differential or transmission flushed anytime soon? Now is a good time, the sooner the better.

-Anything else I should worry about?
Intercooler, VRSF makes quality cores but you may run into some install issues where the tabs do not line up. Heat is the enemy to power.

Thanks ahead!
see blue responses
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2021, 11:28 PM   #5
waxfigure
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5w20 View Post
see blue responses

Thank you!

-Do I really need to worry about the intercooler while on Stage 1 / would it be okay for me to swap it out when I upgrade to Stage 2 next year? or would running Stage 1 with stock intercooler damage the engine?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #6
5w20
@_sunbish
Rep
Drives: Bmw 435i & 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxfigure View Post
Quote:
see blue responses

Thank you!

-Do I really need to worry about the intercooler while on Stage 1 / would it be okay for me to swap it out when I upgrade to Stage 2 next year? or would running Stage 1 with stock intercooler damage the engine?
If you live in a hot climate you'll be struggling to keep IATs in check. The stock intercooler is already taxed at the stock boost level, anything higher (tune raises boost level) and you be pulling a lot of timing and not get the performance thats supposed to be available.
      07-24-2021, 04:09 PM   #7
waxfigure
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you live in a hot climate you'll be struggling to keep IATs in check. The stock intercooler is already taxed at the stock boost level, anything higher (tune raises boost level) and you be pulling a lot of timing and not get the performance thats supposed to be available.
Looks like I will be adding that to the list of maintenance!

I just did Stage 1 and got back from driving. While it's not mind-blowing, I definitely can feel the difference! and tbh I feel like this is how the car should have come from the factory

I will be going to Angeles Crest next weekend to really test it out after I replace the tires, belt, and spark plugs next week!
Appreciate 0