THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Question on jump starts

07-20-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

Question on jump starts

I have a question thoughts on jump starting.

So I know the correct procedure (and my new car they did replace the battery so no problems)

BUT on the old BMW, the battery died and I was unable to start it and even initially the AA guy could not get it going using his pack, saying "it's the alternator".

I found out that "depending" on how bad the voltage is these new battery packs, will NOT try and jump start a very dead battery, even the AA one's

The only way is to use the old fashioned way of battery to battery.

So I was in a position (at the time) of not being able to do a battery-battery. and my trickle charger said not under a certain voltage, but I kept it on, till the tow truck guy came, after the AA guy said no chance.

He "managed" to start the car from the jumping points and thankfully not from the battery.

SO................

This got me thinking

is it worth having a spare battery in the garage for non-starts if a battery pack wont work or even a proffessional wheeled battery starter, but think there expensive. maybe a 100 or so for a battery I can keep inside during winter.

what do you guy's think
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #2
TwoTonic
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i

Were you at home? Car parked without running for a while? If so, hook up your battery tender before you have an issue. Mine is always plugged in unless I know I’ll be driving it again within a few days. Modern cars pull voltage all the time.
Appreciate 2
nazali1309.50
spidy512493.00
      07-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #3
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

yeah I was at home, the battery was on it's way out and I'd forgotton to hook up a battery tender
afterwards I found the battery green eye was black, because the water level had dropped so low,
which is why it wasn't holding a charge, also in winter, during covid so no long drives
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 03:07 PM   #4
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

I have a NOCO Genius Li-ion booster pack. It can sense if a battery has very low or no voltage and will not initially work, but there is a button to override that behavior. I've used it to start other peoples cars with completely dead batteries. It does disable some of the built in safety functions, so use at your own risk.

https://no.co/support/manual-override
Appreciate 1
nazali1309.50
      07-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #5
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
yeah I was at home, the battery was on it's way out and I'd forgotton to hook up a battery tender
afterwards I found the battery green eye was black, because the water level had dropped so low,
which is why it wasn't holding a charge, also in winter, during covid so no long drives
Rather than a spare battery, how about a huge sign "Hook the damn tender."
Appreciate 1
spidy512493.00
      07-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #6
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

ok that's a good idea !

I'll have to look it up

<looked up>

nice product, may look into it a little later, the GB40 is in my price range $99
I was thinking of a charger but I already have a BMW one, which works
I also like the look of the internal ones as well,
not keen on drilling holes LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post
I have a NOCO Genius Li-ion booster pack. It can sense if a battery has very low or no voltage and will not initially work, but there is a button to override that behavior. I've used it to start other peoples cars with completely dead batteries. It does disable some of the built in safety functions, so use at your own risk.

https://no.co/support/manual-override
Appreciate 0