THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Stock headlights to LED question

05-21-2020, 01:38 AM   #1
Mleon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2 series 228i

What's up guys, I just bought my first bmw 228i today.
I have the M package but not the engine.
Sorry if I don't know the lingo yet. I use to have this one in black in 2017 and loved it! Lease was up, so I went 3 years without a car and finally decided to bite the bullet. It's perfect for LA!
ANYWAY.
My question refers to the headlights.
I have stock headlights and I hate them.
I want to modify the bulbs and put LED ones but not entirely sure what's the best option and I don't want to just change the regular driving ones, I want my high beams and the small bulb above that to also be led. I was told there's risk of condensation by putting halo rings in them! So I figured I'd opt out of that.
Can anyone recommend a good bulb from amazon or anywhere else?

I plan to vinyl wrap chamomile blue and purple, black out the rims, and tint the front windows to 30% I think.
If you have any recommendations on the rims, or anything else. Drop it in a comment. Would be super helpful.

But baby steps. In LA, they really jump the price! Haha I'm happy to have the car, I just want it to feel like me now. It feels like stock lol

One more question:
What do y'all think of the emblem shining on the floor when you open the door?
Do you guys think it's tacky ?
I was considering getting some, I really liked the look when the mustangs had them.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mleon; 05-21-2020 at 01:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #2
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleon View Post
What's up guys, I just bought my first bmw 228i today.
I have the M package but not the engine.
Sorry if I don't know the lingo yet. I use to have this one in black in 2017 and loved it! Lease was up, so I went 3 years without a car and finally decided to bite the bullet. It's perfect for LA!
ANYWAY.
My question refers to the headlights.
I have stock headlights and I hate them.
I want to modify the bulbs and put LED ones but not entirely sure what's the best option and I don't want to just change the regular driving ones, I want my high beams and the small bulb above that to also be led. I was told there's risk of condensation by putting halo rings in them! So I figured I'd opt out of that.
Can anyone recommend a good bulb from amazon or anywhere else?

I plan to vinyl wrap chamomile blue and purple, black out the rims, and tint the front windows to 30% I think.
If you have any recommendations on the rims, or anything else. Drop it in a comment. Would be super helpful.

But baby steps. In LA, they really jump the price! Haha I'm happy to have the car, I just want it to feel like me now. It feels like stock lol

One more question:
What do y'all think of the emblem shining on the floor when you open the door?
Do you guys think it's tacky ?
I was considering getting some, I really liked the look when the mustangs had them.
Hey congratulations on the car, please don't do the emblem In Fact it is an official BMW accessory but damn it is tacky af.
Appreciate 2
Mleon15.00
BrettKA7566.50
      05-21-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Congrats on the new car - she's a beauty, but I'm obviously biased. For me, the only thing an extra 2 cylinders would add is traffic tickets. I think that in terms of getting the most for your $$$ (performance and looks), it is hard to beat a set of nice wheels and good non-RFT summer performance tires.

About the headlights - make sure to check the aim first. For some reason these headlights were often set wrong from the factory (too low, some even at the base/stop and apparently untouched during initial setup). Re-aligning them properly really helps improve the performance, if that is the case - I have the HID's and mine were a bit low, really improved to have them set right. There is a fairly old thread on here about how to do it, if you run a search.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
pdesjardins
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Conv. + '17 230i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Congrats on the new car - she's a beauty, but I'm obviously biased. For me, the only thing an extra 2 cylinders would add is traffic tickets. I think that in terms of getting the most for your $$$ (performance and looks), it is hard to beat a set of nice wheels and good non-RFT summer performance tires.

About the headlights - make sure to check the aim first. For some reason these headlights were often set wrong from the factory (too low, some even at the base/stop and apparently untouched during initial setup). Re-aligning them properly really helps improve the performance, if that is the case - I have the HID's and mine were a bit low, really improved to have them set right. There is a fairly old thread on here about how to do it, if you run a search.
This might be the problem I have with my '17 230i convertible. It's like the illumination goes out 40-50 feet and stops. Is that what yours looked like? I'll do a search for that thread. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdesjardins View Post
This might be the problem I have with my '17 230i convertible. It's like the illumination goes out 40-50 feet and stops. Is that what yours looked like? I'll do a search for that thread. Thanks!
Yes, they seemed set too low, so the horizontal cutoff made for a very short beam. I think what tipped me was on hills, it looked great as you crested the rise and headed down, where the beam was actually pointed where the road was going. If your dealership won't reset them for a reasonable fee (or free, if they are decent about it) then there are posts on here that detail how to work the adjusters to do it by trial and error.

This was a mini scandal for BMW at the time, as it seemed that a whole batch of cars went out w/o being aimed at all. My dealership fixed it, but didn't want to admit to it. As I remember it, they took mine into the back for a half hour or so, brought it back and told me 'nothing was wrong, set correctly as they were' but they had obviously fixed them, they were completely better.
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2021, 02:29 PM   #6
Dvtchmxn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 440ix, '16 228ix (Sold)

Garage List
Just did a full LED swap on my '16 228ix.

here is what I used

Low beams: $79.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

high beams/Daytime running lights $59.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

turn signals $11.59 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Parking Lights $15.00 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also did a rear tail light conversion as well

Brake lights RED $9.99 x2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reverse lights WHITE $15.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also if you don't want your lights flickering every time you start your car I would consider coding it with these:

OBD Port Bluetooth Dongle $59.95 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will also need BimmerCode, you can download it on the App Store on your phone connect to the dongle through bluetooth. You do have to pay for the license to use the app tho. It has preset LED Conversion options on there where you just tap on the icon and change to "LED".

BimmerCode $30

TOTAL COST: $292.49 + TAX

ik this post is old but to new F2X owners I hope this helps
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2021, 04:48 PM   #7
mooby
Rep
Drives: 230xi

I put these LEDs in for the low beams. They swapped right in without any flickering, warnings, or coding needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XP1GG13/
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 04:57 PM   #8
Kemps2Fast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i 18 - M240ix 20 - M3C 22

mooby Do you have any pictures by chance? And how long have you had them?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #9
mooby
Rep
Drives: 230xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemps2Fast View Post
mooby Do you have any pictures by chance? And how long have you had them?
Yes - here are some pics. It's hard to show the color temperature as the phone camera tries to balance it, but it is quite cold and quite bright.

I have a base 230 without many options.
I enjoy the car but the base headlights are just so warm in color and so dim. It actually felt like I couldn't see the road well.

I'm very happy with these bulbs (linked above) and have had them installed since September of last year. It's my daily driver, so they do get some use.
It makes me a lot happier to drive the car at night. I no longer feel like I'm missing something. The high beams are barely noticeable when you use them, but I almost never do so don't care.

I will say however that the bright / white of the new headlights makes those indicator lights inboard on the headlights look very dim / warm. I wanted to change those out as well, but just don't want to deal with having to code out the warnings every time the dealer resets things. Works for me.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0