THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Review of my 2021 M240i Convertible

07-20-2021, 01:21 PM   #1
nickgsa60
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i BMW 328i

Review of my 2021 M240i Convertible

I picked up my F23 M240i convertible at the performance delivery center back in March and I figured I’d share my extended thoughts.

This has to be one of the most well rounded ‘enjoyment’ cars out there. I love that it’s practical enough to head out on a road trip with plenty of luggage for two people and even a dog. Yet, at the same time it’s a tidy package. There is nothing like it on the market, and likely will never be again. I feel fortunate to have snagged one in the last production year.

For context, my other car is a 2014 328i with an auto and in the past I’ve owned a MazdaSpeed 6 and Jeep Wrangler both with MTs, I’ve also test driven a few F22s. So my review will largely come from the perspective of those cars.

So onto the important stuff first, how does it drive?? My F23 is equipped with the 6 speed manual, dealer installed LSD, and m-performance exhaust. Overall I think it drives great and is very fun and engaging. The highlight is definitely the b58 engine, power is smooth and plentiful across the rev range, but it really starts to scream and pull at the top half of revs, especially with the MPE. As for the steering, perhaps it’s not as good as the old hydraulic systems, but it’s by far the best of any car I’ve owned and I have no complaints. Thankfully, mine doesn’t have the dreaded numb on center feel (although I did experience it on an f22 I test drove, so I know it exists out there). It definitely has a more immediate turn-in than my 3er, which is a good thing in the twistys but a bit of an annoyance on the highway -- I feel it’s an appropriate balance and they’ve chosen to slightly bias sport over comfort and cruising. I definitely appreciate the adaptive suspension. I mostly leave it in comfort (which is still pretty sporty), but it’s nice to be able to stiffen things up for curves. Overall, my 3 is a much more comfortable cruiser, but the 2 is much more fun and sporty -- so it’s nice to have both I tend to select the 3 for long highway drives to ‘boring’ destinations and I select the 2 for drives around town and when I’m traveling somewhere ‘fun’.

The biggest driving dynamics drawback is actually the 6MT, which pains me to say, as this is one of the biggest reasons I landed on the 2er over other convertibles. The youtube reviews are true, it really does tend to feel rubbery and difficult to shift smoothly. Often when shifting from first to second it feels like it doesn’t want to come out of first and then doesn’t want to go into second! I’ve actually missed the shift before while doing a pull -- I’ve never had this happen to me before. I hate to say it, but this is the worst MT I’ve used in a performance oriented vehicle (never driven another BMW MT, but it sounds like a common complaint). However, it still offers fun and engagement, and I don’t want to make it sound worse than it is -- it just stands out compared with the high quality of the other components. With that said, the auto in the F22/23 is a great box. Now that I’ve driven both (couldn’t find a 6MT to test drive before I ordered one), I would be totally fine owning either, they both have their pros and cons. I do think my experience with the transmission has improved as the car gets more miles under its belt -- it might be me developing a better touch for it or it possibly it has been breaking in. And yes, I do appreciate the additional engagement offered by the MT, even though it has its flaws.

As for the interior and overall quality, so far so good. I realize the interior is not segment defining and is often labeled as dated, but on the flip side it’s extremely functional and I believe timeless. I appreciate the hard buttons which will soon be a thing of the past. Much of the interior is the same as my 3, for example the seats, which I love in both cars. The idrive works well but I usually just use car play. If you haven’t already I highly recommend codding it for full screen. The doors still have the same solid BMW closing feel, which pleasantly surprised me in a convertible. With the top up wind noise is low -- I would compare it to an economy sedan such a Corolla-- which is pretty great if you ask me. With the top down, wind level is just about perfect, enough for some breeze, but not buffeting like crazy. Sometimes the seat belt ring will cause wind buffeting, but you can fix that by rolling up the window by an inch. One funny thing I’ve noticed is that there are a few cost cutting measures compared with my 3. For example, the headrests don’t have adjustable tilt, the sun visors are chintzier, and the door pockets are hard plastic where the 3 has thick upholstered plastic -- minor things, but interesting to see how BMW chose to delete a few items in the ‘lesser’ model.

One thing I love about this car is its practicality. People often complain about the ‘unusable’ rear seat, but I highly disagree, I use it all the time. I’ve sat in the back myself many times and have had two adult friends in the back multiple times. I’ve even had a 6 foot friend sit back there. No, you don’t want to sit in the back for an hours long drive, but it’s perfectly usable around town and makes it fun to be able to bring friends along. I also appreciate being able to put my dog’s crate or a backpack in the back seat. The trunk is surprisingly large and can hold plenty for a road trip for two. For my purposes, this really increases the enjoyment I get from the car over a convertible with no back seat such as a Z4.

As for styling, I appreciate the classic BMW looks, but it doesn’t blow me away. I think for many, the sleeper nature is part of the appeal of the 2. Mine however, is optioned with Long Beach Blue, which stands out like crazy. I really like the paint, it seems like it could be a ‘BMW Individual’ color and I’ve never seen another F23/22 in LBB. The color has extreme depth and richness and changes dramatically based on the lighting. I also opted for the moonlight top which adds additional interest.

Options, my car is fully optioned with the exception of dakota leather:
-HK stereo, it’s adequate and not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I would describe it as better than almost any base stereo and not quite as good as most optional stereos. I would definitely not want the stock stereo.
-Park assist, took a gamble and optioned this for $200 and I’m so happy I did. It does a great job getting into tight parallel spots that I would not attempt on my own, it also removes the stress of potentially curbing the wheels. Because of the MT, you still have to shift, gas, and brake -- it takes care of the steering and tells you when to shift.
-Premium Package (heated seats, steering wheel, and real idrive)
-Adaptive headlights, I got these mostly for the angular looks compared to the stock round lenses. It is pretty cool how they turn around corners and I could see how the adaptive high beams could be nice for those who drive a lot on country roads.
-Oyster Sensatec, I also have Sensatec on my 3 and I’ve enjoyed it, 60k miles later and it still looks brand new.
-Aluminum trim with blue highlight, I was torn between this and the carbon fiber, overall the spec of this car is pretty bright hence my choice to go with the aluminum.
- Bi-color wheels with high performance non-runflat tires

Major Mods:

- M-performance exhaust, I have mixed feelings on this one. Yes it sounds good and more aggressive across the rev range. It sounds especially great at high revs. Most of the conversation around the MPE is whether or not it drones. No, it doesn’t ‘drone’, but it definitely has more presence than the stock exhaust. You will hear anything more than tiny throttle inputs. I can see how this could get old for some people.

- LSD, this was expensive, it seems worth it. I had it installed prior to the end of the break-in period, so I don’t have a good before and after comparison to give. However, I can compare it to the open diff in my 3. The rear wheels of that car often have traction issues, especially in less than ideal conditions (rain, hill, sand, turns, or a combination). My 2 with the LSD seems to put down the power much more predictably in all these situations and accordingly the traction control doesn’t interfere nearly as often. This could also be partly due to the summer tires on the 2 vs all seasons on the 3.

Overall: I really enjoy this car. It has no major flaws and satisfies all my needs. I’ve already made so many fond memories in it. I plan on it being a forever car, especially with the demise of small BMWs, ICE, and MTs, there will be nothing to replace it with. Thank you to everyone who contributed information on this forum and helped me decide to order one of the last F23s!
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
VAcurler116.00
bobkat09151.50
qlaval52.50
Namakan21.00
Miata1387.00
      07-20-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
TAZ007
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40

Garage List
2021 Z4 M40  [5.00]
Sounds like an honest review and similar to my initial thoughts on my F23 M235. Enjoy, I have.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #3
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

It took my 6MT well over 10K miles to break in and become smooth.

I suggest adding the MP shift knob. Yeah, it's only a knob, but it makes a huge difference in terms of shift feel and directness. I promise you that. The stock shift knob makes the shifter feel long and rubbery.

I've found that shifting the 1-2 and 2-3 is far more smooth revving it out to 3,500 rpms or so vs shifting lower.
      07-20-2021, 02:15 PM   #4
VAcurler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 F23 M240i MT + 09 e90 328i

We have twin cars. I'm trying to get the LSD installed now (sales rep had a different price than the parts department so I need to get that straightened out). I haven't used the park assist besides the one time at the PDC so I'm still not sure how to use it. I'm 50/50 on the MPE but I have the ASD bypass harness & the SmartTop to install next (have them in hand but haven't had a chance to install them yet)
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #5
Vitacura
Ich Liebe mein BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i CV, 23 X1

Great write up, thanks for sharing!

I should be taking delivery next month on a near identical car to yours. It is replacing my 2018 M240i. May I ask what part numbers you needed for the MPE? On my 2018 I was able to add it as PIA, now it is not being offered with the manual transmission.

This is what I have but have yet to confirm if it's correct:

MPE: 18-30-2-424-608
Rear Diffuser: 51-19-2-343-355
Chrome or CF Tips: 18-30-2-354-364 (Single, would need two) or 18-30-2-355-889 (Set of two)

What about the finisher adapter, is it needed? (18-30-2-287-042)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 04:12 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickgsa60 View Post
I picked up my F23 M240i convertible at the performance delivery center back in March and I figured I’d share my extended thoughts.

The biggest driving dynamics drawback is actually the 6MT... I hate to say it, but this is the worst MT I’ve used in a performance oriented vehicle (never driven another BMW MT, but it sounds like a common complaint).
It's always nice to read a detailed and thorough review - thanks!

Re: the MT

You've probably seen this thread, but if not there's a short-shift kit group buy that may still be open: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...709414&page=13.

If the group buy is closed, it's possible there will be another one in the future (this is the 2nd GB, brought back by popular demand after reviews from the first GB's buyers started coming in).

A number of the members who have the kit installed have been very favorably impressed with it. Post-install, running Red Line DCTF transmission fluid seems to further help to create an improved shifting experience.

I've got the kit but have yet to install it.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      07-20-2021, 07:59 PM   #7
iv-128i
bmw
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, prior : 2011 128i

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
Re : Manual Tranny / clutch

Please make yourself a favor and remove clutch delay valve asap ! You will see a huge improvement on clutch engagement.
      07-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #8
IndyRed128i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 230I(Red)

Absolutely love it!! Congrats on the new car!!

This looks better than the 2022 redesign, IMO. Not sure what I will get once i'm done with my 2016 228XI.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:39 PM   #9
jules_78th
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i Cabriolet

Good review and on point. Got the same car, but a 2019. As far as the 6MT goes, wait till it 8 to 10k, it will be more smoother.

Also I find that there is alot of deadspace when pressing the clutch. Get yourself a BMS short throw clutch stop. I used 2 out of the 4 pegs. Eliminates the dead space.

https://burgertuning.com/collections...06-mini-cooper
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #10
vballer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i vert 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
You've probably seen this thread, but if not there's a short-shift kit group buy that may still be open: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...709414&page=13.
I also agree that the shifter has been disappointing especially since my previous cars were Miatas (1990 and 2003). I'm part of the second group buy of the short shifter kit so I'm looking forward to having that installed to improve the feel.

Having said that I'm very happy that I got my 2018 M240i vert especially since BMW is probably no longer making this configuration. It's a much more comfortable car especially getting in and out since I'm not as sprightly as I used to be.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4347.50
      07-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules_78th View Post
Also I find that there is alot of deadspace when pressing the clutch. Get yourself a BMS short throw clutch stop. I used 2 out of the 4 pegs. Eliminates the dead space.
If you really want to eliminate the deadspace and get the clutch pedal resting point even with the brake pedal, the adjustable Ultimate Clutch Pedal is how it's done. I have it on my M235 and it's great.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1...BoCoBgQAvD_BwE
      07-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #12
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
It took my 6MT well over 10K miles to break in and become smooth.

I suggest adding the MP shift knob. Yeah, it's only a knob, but it makes a huge difference in terms of shift feel and directness. I promise you that. The stock shift knob makes the shifter feel long and rubbery.

I've found that shifting the 1-2 and 2-3 is far more smooth revving it out to 3,500 rpms or so vs shifting lower.
I was thinking the same. I’m pretty happy with my stick. My ‘16 6mt is quite smooth at just under 30k mi now. My other mt experience comes from my motorcycles, an ‘03 Acura RSX Type-S (short & quick but super notchy), my wife’s prior ‘00 328i (long & smooth but felt like an 18 wheeler compared to the Acura), and a mid 2000s Jeep Wrangler I borrowed from a buddy for 6 weeks (ok, that was the 18 wheeler transmission).

I was actually toying with the idea of a new shift knob as the leather on mine is a bit worn. Your point there makes me want to do it more.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #13
60_Driver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i 6mt vert

Also, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2022, 08:42 PM   #14
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Thanks all, I continue to enjoy this car almost one year later and wanted to provide a few updates:

A few replies here regarding the shifter. I forgot to mention in my post that I do have the BMS clutch stop. I think it helps quite a bit, but if you install it make sure to take most of the rings off first. I appreciate the advice regarding the short shift kit, but at this point, it's too much surgery for me to be comfortable with on such a new car.

I do think the shifter has been improving with miles... or I could just be learning the touch. I learned something that has helped me with the 1-2 shift. Previously I think I was pressing too hard to the left during that shift. I found that it really helps to keep the 'leftward' pressure during that shift to a minimum. I'm actually starting to appreciate the shifter more and more. I must say, for my purposes, I absolutely prefer it over an auto.

Regarding the LSD, I'm very happy I had it installed, the power is put down in a very fun and predictable way. Sport+ is a blast this car whereas sport+ in my less powerful 3 feels squirrely and unpredictable and I largely avoid it.

Regarding the MPE, I think I would have skipped it. At the bottom half of revs, where you spend the most time, it verges on annoying (at the top half of revs it is glorious). So overall I doubt it is worthwhile and there are likely better solutions out there.

Overall I'm very happy with the car and it's looking like it's going to provide many years of enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 12:39 PM   #15
elliswyatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i 6MT, 2016 Mk7 GTI

Congrats! Oyster is a great choice, especially for the convertible.
      01-24-2022, 05:35 AM   #16
SGHCU95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40 Dark Graphite

Full Screen Apple Car play

Did you have your 240 coded for apple car play at the dealer or did you go the aftermarket route?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 07:59 AM   #17
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliswyatt View Post
Congrats! Oyster is a great choice, especially for the convertible.
Thanks, living in Florida a light interior was a must for me. Nothing worse than scorching your arm on a black armrest in the sun. My other musts were a usable back seat and a MT -- that made the F23 one of a very few viable options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGHCU95 View Post
Did you have your 240 coded for apple car play at the dealer or did you go the aftermarket route?
I had it coded by Kubax86 shortly after purchase, it was super easy and it works great.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 08:53 PM   #18
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Nice review and nice car. Not sure how you scored one in LBB, I was certain that LBB was exclusive to the M2 and X6M. It's such a great color. I don't know why but my first thought when I looked at the pics was "needs a spoiler." Not sure why this popped into my head so quickly other than that my M2 and 230i have one so it's just the look I'm used to. I wasn't crazy about the shifting in the M2 at first either but it definitely improved over time and I chalked that up to getting used to it. I definitely agree with your opinions on MPE, I could definitely do without. Anyway, congrats on the car.
      01-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #19
JWR
Rep
Drives: 1993 Supra Turbo

Nick, is the MPE annoying in Comfort mode? Or just in Sport mode?

I'm thinking about adding one. It is probably not as big a deal for me since I don't drive mine that much. I like the sound in Sport mode but I do want a little more.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2022, 11:09 PM   #20
Mizuno
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m240 vert

yup. All the reasons why I may never get rid of my '18 240 vert Its like the perfect size for me and extremely functional. Can hold my golf clubs and overnight bag in the trunk top up or top down so Im good to go

I do pray they make an M2 convertible one day tho.....
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 08:50 PM   #21
nickgsa60
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR View Post
Nick, is the MPE annoying in Comfort mode? Or just in Sport mode?

I'm thinking about adding one. It is probably not as big a deal for me since I don't drive mine that much. I like the sound in Sport mode but I do want a little more.
Yes, you will notice its presence in comfort mode. At lower revs the biggest difference I notice between comfort and sport are the burbles and pops you get with sport (so same relative difference you get without MPE, just with a higher noise baseline in both modes with the MPE).

I don't know that I would go so far as to call it annoying, but sometimes when I'm just in chill cruising mode with the top down I could do without its presence. If you have a coupe, I don't think this will be an issue at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Nice review and nice car. Not sure how you scored one in LBB, I was certain that LBB was exclusive to the M2 and X6M. It's such a great color. I don't know why but my first thought when I looked at the pics was "needs a spoiler." Not sure why this popped into my head so quickly other than that my M2 and 230i have one so it's just the look I'm used to. I wasn't crazy about the shifting in the M2 at first either but it definitely improved over time and I chalked that up to getting used to it. I definitely agree with your opinions on MPE, I could definitely do without. Anyway, congrats on the car.
Thank you, I love the color and I'm so glad I got it. I think for 20 and 21 they made it available on the f22 and f23 -- as far as I know it's the only non-m get it.

I actually have an X3M comp on order with Marina Bay Blue, so I will have a very blue garage ... It's going to be the 'practical car' as the family grows.

As for the spoiler, I originally considered it, but now I like the clean look without it. Kind of reminds me of the E30 convertible which also didn't have a spoiler.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ret...m3-convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizuno View Post
yup. All the reasons why I may never get rid of my '18 240 vert Its like the perfect size for me and extremely functional. Can hold my golf clubs and overnight bag in the trunk top up or top down so Im good to go

I do pray they make an M2 convertible one day tho.....
Completely agree... From what I've read, I wouldn't count on another 2 vert anytime soon and especially not an M2 vert... maybe after one or two more gens we might get an iM2 vert, who knows, could be a lot of fun.

Last edited by nickgsa60; 01-30-2022 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0