THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Windshield Cowling Damaged by Dealer

07-20-2021, 12:29 AM   #1
John Wick
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Windshield Cowling Damaged by Dealer

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. I'm a five year owner of a BMW F22. Things have being going well and I love the car. But recently I've noticed some damage to my left windshield cowling. This is a vehicle that has only been worked on by the dealer, and no one else has tampered with it, including me. After I noticed the damage to the left cowling I also noticed that it felt loose, then I came to find out that the only thing holding the cowling is the snap-in mechanism on the left side. I removed it and noticed that some of the cam locks are damaged and have plastic pieces broken off. This is something that I wouldn't have expected from a dealer. I've also been trying to find out what components are underneath the cowling but it seems like https://www.newtis.info/ has been pulled as per the demands of BMW. Does anyone have any idea what could be underneath this cowling and why the dealer maintenance team would find it necessary to pull it off to access this area? Is there any merit in trying to have the dealer replace the part, or is it a futile effort? And if anyone has any recommendations for maintenance/workshop manuals it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:10 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I doubt that the dealer damaged your car. Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of your car's VIN. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to vehicle trim to find the parts you need.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Cheburashka you hadn't had a valve cover leak repaired recently have you ?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

these things sometimes happen, even when I work on my car's I've bent, broken, snapped plastic. The older a car the more brittle.

A dealer tech is no different from you or I in that respect. There are a couple of options.

1> Look up the broken part and get a cost (it will BE EXPENSIVE) from a dealer
IF you have a lot of recipts from said dealer, you could ask the service manager if he would consider replacement or part of the costs.

with my dealer, I have 1000's in receipts, (plus I bought my car from them 2020 new with finance)

You could say that no-one ever touches your car except them, show them your wadge of recipts and cross your fingers. a "GOOD" chance he will ask you to prove that they did this and it wasn't something that could have just broken ?

2> swallow the costs and get a replacement or one from a junk yard car or BMW 3rd party parts place

3> Live with it, if it is "NOT" effecting anything

I talk from expereince, when my old 1 series cowel parts got snapped over a period of time, didnt effect anything, except some other parts would not close properly due to the missing clips and I have major OCD !!!

, in order to fix it, I would need a whole new cowel, over $300 and you could not get one from a junkyard car

Feel your pain though
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 11:53 AM   #5
John Wick
Rep

Thank you for the replies everyone.

@ScottSinger As far as I know I haven't had the valve cover leak repaired. So far all of my receipts are for regular service maintenance, including oil changes and air filter replacements. I did a have a brake fluid flush the last time I was in. Would you happen to know what this valve controls?

@MarcoZandrini thank you for the recommendation, I will check it out.

@nazali Yeah, maybe it's my OCD talking. The part does seem like it's easy enough to replace on my own, so that's what I was thinking of pursuing.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 12:05 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep

What valve ?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
John Wick
Rep

@ScottSinger you asked if I had a valve cover leaked repaired recently.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 01:05 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheburashka View Post
@ScottSinger you asked if I had a valve cover leaked repaired recently.
so if the top of the engines VALVE (these are the intake and exhaust valves on top go the engines piston ) COVER (is the large casing that covers the valves) GASKET (is the thin flexi medium placed between the stiff valve cover and the alloy/steel engine / head manifold - so if the Valve Cover Gasket is leaking the replacement of the COVER may entail removing the pieces you shown in your first post.

I asked because I had my Valve Cover Gasket replaced and I noticed weeks later a crimp in the plastic rubber flashing at the base of the windshield. I'm not sure if it was from a repair or if using a car wash power washer, etcetera.
Appreciate 0