THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Insight needed (power mods)

07-01-2021, 10:10 PM   #1
F22ryan
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW m235i xdrive

Insight needed (power mods)

Alright so here is the deal I have a 2016 m235i xdrive. As most people do I got bored of the power. My supporting mods are VRSF Downpipe, intercooler, Charge pipe, Dorch stage 2 HPFP, PR LPFP, custom tuned by f80paul.

I am trying to decide what to do for more power without going crazy on price and keeping the ability to flash back to stock tune with no issues.

-stage 1 turbo from Vargas
-snow methanol kit
-full E85 (if possible using stock injectors)

Does anyone recommend one more then the other?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #2
Trofeo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235

I have the same setup but I have Snow meth and Jordan custom tune and CAI. You don’t mention if you’ve updated to a CAI & colder plugs. Another preventative measure/upgrade is the PI coils. Have you dyno tested in current trim, if so what were the results?
Turbos stag 2+ is the best bang for $ If you are keen in keeping your car a few more years.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:24 AM   #3
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Is your custom tune for pump gas? If so, you may have some power to gain by using e30 and switching to the ots map stage 2+ e30. It targets over 20psi and requires hpfp upgrade, which you have.
      07-03-2021, 07:48 AM   #4
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by F22ryan View Post
Alright so here is the deal I have a 2016 m235i xdrive. As most people do I got bored of the power. My supporting mods are VRSF Downpipe, intercooler, Charge pipe, Dorch stage 2 HPFP, PR LPFP, custom tuned by f80paul.

I am trying to decide what to do for more power without going crazy on price and keeping the ability to flash back to stock tune with no issues.

-snow methanol kit

I've been meaning to find reviews on the PR LPFP. How do you like it and which kit exactly? I was looking at the 2.5
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
F22ryan
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
Is your custom tune for pump gas? If so, you may have some power to gain by using e30 and switching to the ots map stage 2+ e30. It targets over 20psi and requires hpfp upgrade, which you have.
I have 2 custom tunes one for e30 and one for 91 I think my issue is just that timing is not as perfect as I would like it to be so I just keep adding more Ethanol with my 91 tune to make it run better. However the e30 tune I am just waiting for BM3 to release the LPFP plug and play ethanol sensor. I am from Minnesota and I continue to get very angry gas station workers when they see me testing ethanol
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:24 PM   #6
F22ryan
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trofeo View Post
I have the same setup but I have Snow meth and Jordan custom tune and CAI. You don't mention if you've updated to a CAI & colder plugs. Another preventative measure/upgrade is the PI coils. Have you dyno tested in current trim, if so what were the results?
Turbos stag 2+ is the best bang for $ If you are keen in keeping your car a few more years.
Hey trofeo, I have not dyno tested and yes I do have a cold air intake along with colder plugs. Do you like the PR coils? or what have you thought of them as a preventative mod?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 07:25 PM   #7
F22ryan
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_m235 View Post
Quote:

-snow methanol kit

I've been meaning to find reviews on the PR LPFP. How do you like it and which kit exactly? I was looking at the 2.5
Yea that's exactly what I got! I mean it's like great to have the ability to do large amounts of ethanol and not be worried. However, If you are only looking to do small amounts of ethanol and have stock turbo I have heard the stock LPFP fine. My suggestion would be putting money elsewhere such as a mosselman oil cooler, or the PR coils.

Side note: I am not sure if pr coils are actually all that beneficial but we will see what trofeo says
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 08:02 PM   #8
Pussiwillow
Major
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 2014 335i msport

Go to spool street forums
Nexsys is releasing a b58 coil adapter and wiring harness plug and play for the n55, b58 coils are where it's at imo, oem parts, perform as well if not out perform PR coils, just a heads up, however, plenty of stage 2 turbo guys on stock n55 coils no issues, however with b58 coils you may get away with a larger gap which could be beneficial.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2021, 08:20 AM   #9
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Stage 1 turbo won't give you much of a boost, you're pretty much looking at stage 2 or more.
      07-07-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
Dynamic_m235
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamic_m235 View Post
Quote:

-snow methanol kit

Yea that's exactly what I got! I mean it's like great to have the ability to do large amounts of ethanol and not be worried. However, If you are only looking to do small amounts of ethanol and have stock turbo I have heard the stock LPFP fine. My suggestion would be putting money elsewhere such as a mosselman oil cooler, or the PR coils.

Side note: I am not sure if pr coils are actually all that beneficial but we will see what trofeo says
I appreciate the answer. I'm fbo spool fx150 with pi and going to go big turbo soon so I'm just trying to find the best bang for my buck lpfp and the 2.5 seems perfect
Appreciate 0