THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Question on N20 Stage 2 AFR - (and new engine update)

04-07-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
khcoaching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE

Question on N20 Stage 2 AFR - (and new engine update)

Question and an Update -

Update first - After blowing a hole in my block -

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1781019

I ended up with a brand new BMW long block (with baffled aluminum oil pan) and during the install, added a VRSF downpipe, intercooler, Injen intake and larger radiator. The stock turbo was pronounced healthy, but rebuilt anyway. For tuning, it went to the dyno with a semi custom tune and we ended up with solid power numbers. 250hp/300tq (I didn't want any additional boost) The torque is really noticeable, even though it runs out of steam pretty quickly. So far, so good....

AFR Question - What are people using for a WOT AFR on this type of setup? The car seem to run very rich on top and at times, will miss and blow black smoke out after 5k rpms....AFR is around 12 to about 5k, then dropping to 11-11.25 after that. Everywhere else, the car is a joy to drive....

Ken
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 03:18 PM   #2
ngl
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

I see you got your car back to life, congrats. I just had my VRSF installed also, but haven't been able to get any logs yet due to lockdown. I will contribute numbers as soon as I can. I don't have a custom tune yet ( stock BM3 tune with cat monitors off ) so I'm also a little worried about over-boost with the downpipe.

Any chance you can share some pictures and impressions on your new oil pan, maybe on the other thread so we don't hijack the AFR topic.
Quaife LSD | BC Racing Coilovers | H&R ARB | F8x LCA+TS | Wiechers Strutbar | Mishimoto CAI | Mishimoto Oil Cooler | Mishimoto Oil Catch Can | Mishimoto FMIC | VRSF DP | Masata TIC | Masata CP | DV+ | Custom Kline Exhaust | GTS Style Roll Cage | Sparco Evo QRT | Brey-Krause seat mounts | Schroth Profi 2 ASM 6p | 10" Android HU| xHP Stage3 | BM3 | RaceCapture Data Logger
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 09:14 PM   #3
khcoaching
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
I see you got your car back to life, congrats. I just had my VRSF installed also, but haven't been able to get any logs yet due to lockdown. I will contribute numbers as soon as I can. I don't have a custom tune yet ( stock BM3 tune with cat monitors off ) so I'm also a little worried about over-boost with the downpipe.

Any chance you can share some pictures and impressions on your new oil pan, maybe on the other thread so we don't hijack the AFR topic.
The shop owes me pics of the pan and I'll post up as soon as I get them.

Ken
Appreciate 0