THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Bad Gas?

09-08-2018, 12:19 AM   #1
Lipper
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

Bad Gas?

G'day Folks,

I've been using Shell V-Power (98 RON) since I've had my car. Lately, I've been learning to read the logs from my JB4 and discovered there were pretty severe timing corrections (first log) likely due to poor quality fuel.

As an experiment, I added 1/3 of a tank of E85 from United Petroleum to raise the octane. The results show a better timing profile with the E85 blend (second log). I'll fill up at BP next time and see if BP-Ultimate works any better than Shell. Logs were collected under MAP-1.

Another option is to try an Octane booster. Has anyone done any research or testing with these?

Ken
Attached Images

BMS JB4 w/Bluetooth| Wagner Competition IC | Wagner DP | Evolution Raceworks IC Pipes | Dynan CAI | BMS Catch-Can | Active Autowerks Axle-Back | ECS 2-Piece Rotors/Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads | Full MP Carbon/Alcantara Trim | M-Performance Alcantara/LED Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 10:01 PM   #2
Black2
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I've no experience with octane booster and have read mixed reviews about them. Interested to see the results with BP. Though there are too many variables to control for, it'd be interesting to see a comparison between the different servos
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Lipper
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black2 View Post
I've no experience with octane booster and have read mixed reviews about them. Interested to see the results with BP. Though there are too many variables to control for, it'd be interesting to see a comparison between the different servos
I'll let you know how it goes - I just filled up with BP Ultimate, for the first time, this morning. I'll do some logging for comparison once I fill-up for the second time. I'm not really expecting it to be much better than Shell V-Power to tell you the truth.

Ken
BMS JB4 w/Bluetooth| Wagner Competition IC | Wagner DP | Evolution Raceworks IC Pipes | Dynan CAI | BMS Catch-Can | Active Autowerks Axle-Back | ECS 2-Piece Rotors/Hawk HPS 5.0 Pads | Full MP Carbon/Alcantara Trim | M-Performance Alcantara/LED Steering Wheel
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
travinsm
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Melbourne Red Conv.

Does this help?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #5
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

It's more likely jb4 is doing this to the car? I've read there's a lot of inconsistencies with it... might be wrong tho
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 04:39 AM   #6
Lipper
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
It's more likely jb4 is doing this to the car? I've read there's a lot of inconsistencies with it... might be wrong tho
Thanks mate - I appreciate the feedback. I think I eliminated anything with the car - including the JB4. The two logs (above) were done, first, with Shell V-Power and, second, with 30% E85. The difference in the timing profile is significant. All I can take from that is that the Shell V-Power isn't up to the job. That being said, I'm not going to drive 30 minutes every time I need fuel to get the E85! Still hoping the BP Ultimate might be better.

BTW - our cars are nearly identical!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 05:06 AM   #7
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipper View Post
Thanks mate - I appreciate the feedback. I think I eliminated anything with the car - including the JB4. The two logs (above) were done, first, with Shell V-Power and, second, with 30% E85. The difference in the timing profile is significant. All I can take from that is that the Shell V-Power isn't up to the job. That being said, I'm not going to drive 30 minutes every time I need fuel to get the E85! Still hoping the BP Ultimate might be better.

BTW - our cars are nearly identical!
I find Shell to be the worse... I actually you Mobil at 7eleven... because I'm cheap and like the savings when I lock a good price in lol

Our cars are very similar but you do have a lot more hardware haha Wagner Competition IC | Wagner Catless DP | Evolution Raceworks IC Pipes | Dynan CAI!!! I'm surprised you haven't gone for a proper exhaust and a proper tune... any reasoning?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:08 AM   #8
Lipper
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I find Shell to be the worse... I actually you Mobil at 7eleven... because I'm cheap and like the savings when I lock a good price in lol

Our cars are very similar but you do have a lot more hardware haha Wagner Competition IC | Wagner Catless DP | Evolution Raceworks IC Pipes | Dynan CAI!!! I'm surprised you haven't gone for a proper exhaust and a proper tune... any reasoning?
I could very well be wrong, but my thinking is the only part of the exhaust that makes a real difference, in terms of performance, is the downpipe. I replaced the rear-section, primarily, to improve the sound. I don't think removing the resonator, or changing the centre section, will make any difference.

I don't know enough about a "proper tune" vs the JB4 to comment. What are the benefits of a tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #9
den525
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipper View Post
Quote:

I could very well be wrong, but my thinking is the only part of the exhaust that makes a real difference, in terms of performance, is the downpipe. I replaced the rear-section, primarily, to improve the sound. I don't think removing the resonator, or changing the centre section, will make any difference.

I don't know enough about a "proper tune" vs the JB4 to comment. What are the benefits of a tune?
You're right, in terms of performance dp is where you get majority of the gains, but freeing up the midpipe gives you extra as well, which includes sound... personally I wouldn't do all 3... id do dp and leave the rest stock or cat back exhaust.

As for the tune, a "flash" tune is a proper tune, while jb4 is a piggyback which "trick" the engine into thinking something that's not. Flash tune is a lot more consistent and gains are more (mate switched from jb4 240kw atw to flash 267kw ate)
Appreciate 0