THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Very disappointing

10-05-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

Very disappointing

So I just learned a no cost option I picked when I configured my car is not available and the dealer said I will have to purchased the part myself.

The specific item is a no cost black kidney grill to replace the cerium grey grill on the m240i I just ordered. According to the BMW website this option is a no cost option.

The dealer I ordered the car said that specific option is not available when they tried to order. I am totally frustrated with what is happening. I am not mad at the dealer for something that they have no ability to change. I am pissed at BMW for not owning up to the conflicting information it puts out.

I called BMW in attempt to seek a solution to this issue. All they said was to work with the dealer.

Is it reasonable to expect a company like BMW to do the right thing by compensate the customer for that part? After all the negotiated price of the car was based on what I thought I was getting. I have never order a car before. Is this a common practice by the auto industries?

This issue is really putting an otherwise exciting experience into something dreadful.

Anyone every experience this before? Also, any suggestion on my options?
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

I am shocked given the extremely cheap cost of the part the dealer just doesn't make an exception on this. On the other hand, given that it is extremely cheap and even easier to replace, I wouldn't be overly upset, just somewhat annoyed.
Appreciate 3
makrop151.00
j2dad5389372.00
Bobh5952.00
      10-05-2020, 10:50 AM   #3
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

I'd try to take it easy and give them some time to figure it out. Worst case, I'm sure the dealer will make it right with either port-installed or dealer-installed black grilles.

My aunt was trying to custom order a GLC 300 from a local dealer. For two years she was thinking about the car, knew exactly how she wanted to order it. Come to find the non-negotiable AMG night package couldn't be combined with the non-negotiable saddle brown interior even though the site allowed the combination. After a lot of back and forth, she got a Macan with a red interior instead.

Sometimes companies make mistakes, but this is a very, very, very easy fix even if it makes it to the dealership with cerium grey grilles.
      10-05-2020, 10:51 AM   #4
BeautyInMotionF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36,E92,F22

Now i know that you are frustrated by the principle of the situation but at some point isn't your time and frustration dealing with this minor issue when youre ordering an entire car more hassle than its worth?

I do agree that it's strange the dealership would not offer to change it at cost to them since it is cheap and you are buying a brand new car from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:44 AM   #5
jzeiler4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i xDrive vert

I find that interesting as my car has shown up in "My Garage" on the BMW site as "entered the production queue". Some one else also said the performance non run flats were not available on the Jet Black wheels. My listing shows both the "Design Item Deletion" (removal of the stock grill) and shows non run flat perf tires on the 719M jet black wheels (18" M wheel 719M w/perf nonrft). So not sure why your dealer is telling it is not available.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 11:47 AM   #6
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you to all who replied about to put things in a proper perspective. I probably will just order them through a third party and install them myself and call it a day. But you would think either BMW or the dealer would do the right thing.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      10-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler4 View Post
I find that interesting as my car has shown up in "My Garage" on the BMW site as "entered the production queue". Some one else also said the performance non run flats were not available on the Jet Black wheels. My listing shows both the "Design Item Deletion" (removal of the stock grill) and shows non run flat perf tires on the 719M jet black wheels (18" M wheel 719M w/perf nonrft). So not sure why your dealer is telling it is not available.
BMW's website is very confusing on the wheels. Apparently the "standard" wheels for the M240i are the jet black 18" with performance non-run flats., 20Y code. But if you pick that same option in the "wheel option" portion of the build it will not be available when the dealer tries to do the ordering. I found out you have to skip the wheel option and pick nothing in order to get the standard 18" jet black wheels with performance non-run flats.

The same for the black kidney grills. Yes, it was an option when you try to configure the car. But that option apparently is no longer available when the dealer tries to order it.

I blame BMW for not keeping current with its website. Thus causing a lot of confusion for both the customers and the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 10:17 PM   #8
sauceonside
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i MT

They were a ~$200 option when I bought mine, so I went with the $25 Ebay version that is identical in every way.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:37 AM   #9
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Are all the F22 grills the same size from 2014 to present?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 03:52 AM   #10
labfm
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i

Yikes. I guess I should prepare for the worst on my build then. Both on the wheels and the black grilles
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 07:33 AM   #11
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by labfm View Post
Yikes. I guess I should prepare for the worst on my build then. Both on the wheels and the black grilles

It is all about expectation. If you want the jet black wheels with the performance non run flats do NOT pick anything under the wheel options. It will default to the standard which will be the jet black wheels w/ per. non run flats.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #12
f22b58
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

I asked for a moon roof delete on my 2019 and got a moon roof anyways. You can't fix that without a lot of work. So, I ordered my 2021 with a moon roof delete and I got a call for confirmation, they also wanted to confirm that I did not want black wheels. No issue requesting the black grills.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #13
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22b58 View Post
I asked for a moon roof delete on my 2019 and got a moon roof anyways. You can't fix that without a lot of work. So, I ordered my 2021 with a moon roof delete and I got a call for confirmation, they also wanted to confirm that I did not want black wheels. No issue requesting the black grills.

That just it. Somewhere someone is incompetent. How can there be so much inconsistent in ordering?

The sad part was I actually called BMW and they said they couldn't do anything but asked me to work with the dealer. And the dealer said there is no option on changing the grey cerium grills to the black grills. However, that was an option when I configured the car via the BMW website. For a consumer what can I do from there?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 01:32 PM   #14
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jliuod View Post
For a consumer what can I do from there?
Dealer orders grilles, grilles are swapped out before you take delivery at the dealer.

It is seriously a 5 minute swap.

The dealer can either keep yours and sell them, or return them to the manufacturer as part of their monthly return allotment.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #15
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattanooga240 View Post
Dealer orders grilles, grilles are swapped out before you take delivery at the dealer.

It is seriously a 5 minute swap.

The dealer can either keep yours and sell them, or return them to the manufacturer as part of their monthly return allotment.

The point here is the black grill is supposed to be a no cost option. The dealer BMW does not have that option when he tried to place the order. Instead the dealer said I will have to purchase the part.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #16
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The point here is the black grill is supposed to be a no cost option. The dealer BMW does not have that option when he tried to place the order. Instead the dealer said I will have to purchase the part.
Correct, dealer purchases the part, removes your incorrect grilles, then returns them once they swap the new ones in.

Each and every dealer in the country is allowed a certain dollar amount of returns to the manufacturer, they should just add it to their return.

This is not at all complicated or expensive to do for the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 02:33 PM   #17
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

OMG, such a fuss over a $200 part/option when buying a $50k car ... Really?

Is easy, buy it and install it yourself. Or buy it and have the dealer install it. Beat the dealer up on the negotiation before signing the purchase order for the vehicle and make it work out for you so that you're happy!

As for the snobbery post above concerning the "M" post above, I think I would look for another dealer if that's the reception I recieved, because my experience has been the exact opposite, they treated me very well and handled everything as if I were buying an M8... Didn't matter and it shouldn't!

Best of luck to getting your grills settled, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #18
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=cooolone2;26777050]OMG, such a fuss over a $200 part/option when buying a $50k car ... Really?

Well, it is the principal of it. Actually it is only $130 OEM part.

Is easy, buy it and install it yourself. Or buy it and have the dealer install it. Beat the dealer up on the negotiation before signing the purchase order for the vehicle and make it work out for you so that you're happy!

I only found out way after the negotiated price that the dealer couldn't order the black kidney grill
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #19
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
As for the snobbery post above concerning the "M" post above, I think I would look for another dealer if that's the reception I recieved, because my experience has been the exact opposite, they treated me very well and handled everything as if I were buying an M8... Didn't matter and it shouldn't!
I've had the same experience as you. When I had an ///M car (Z4M), an entry level 323 or the current M240i, the service and dealer interaction has been good in all cases.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #20
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

When I ordered my 2017, the black grille was a $300 up-charge
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #21
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

[QUOTE=jliuod;26777195]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
OMG, such a fuss over a $200 part/option when buying a $50k car ... Really?

Well, it is the principal of it. Actually it is only $130 OEM part.

I only found out way after the negotiated price that the dealer couldn't order the black kidney grill
Find a new dealer because I ordered a few extra parts that I had the dealer supply and not install, they were in my trunk when I picked the car up. Doesn't make sense if it's a BMW part, still being produced, in stock, that they say they can't get. The more logical explanation is they just don't "want to"... So I would move on from that dealer IMO.

Funny thing is, I got the same grills, but still haven't installed them as the little silver lip has grown on me. I even prepped the things with some ceramic coat too, lol... Will probably throw them in when I'm ready to vinyl coat the cross braces behind the grill. Anyways...

Good Luck, hope you get resolution to your satisfaction!
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #22
againsttherage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

[QUOTE=cooolone2;26783281]
Quote:

Find a new dealer because I ordered a few extra parts that I had the dealer supply and not install, they were in my trunk when I picked the car up. Doesn't make sense if it's a BMW part, still being produced, in stock, that they say they can't get. The more logical explanation is they just don't "want to"... So I would move on from that dealer IMO.

Funny thing is, I got the same grills, but still haven't installed them as the little silver lip has grown on me. I even prepped the things with some ceramic coat too, lol... Will probably throw them in when I'm ready to vinyl coat the cross braces behind the grill. Anyways...

Good Luck, hope you get resolution to your satisfaction!
I was initially look to black it out as well, but the cerium grew on me as well. Works quite nicely.
Appreciate 0