THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack space saver

09-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

space saver

Ok, this is way more complicated than it should be. I get too many flats with Cleveland roads and potholes. Summer tires are MPSS and winter run flats. Hate the run flats and want to phase them out so looking at space save spare. ECS tuning has one for $161. so far, so good. nope. spare won't fit with M sport brakes. So, if get flat on front wheel, have to take one of the rear wheels off and move it to front and put spare on rear where it will clear blanks. Dont see how to do this unless carry 2 jacks.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, this is way more complicated than it should be. I get too many flats with Cleveland roads and potholes. Summer tires are MPSS and winter run flats. Hate the run flats and want to phase them out so looking at space save spare. ECS tuning has one for $161. so far, so good. nope. spare won't fit with M sport brakes. So, if get flat on front wheel, have to take one of the rear wheels off and move it to front and put spare on rear where it will clear brakes Dont see how to do this unless carry 2 jacks.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
9t2hoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchuck View Post
Ok, this is way more complicated than it should be. I get too many flats with Cleveland roads and potholes. Summer tires are MPSS and winter run flats. Hate the run flats and want to phase them out so looking at space save spare. ECS tuning has one for $161. so far, so good. nope. spare won't fit with M sport brakes. So, if get flat on front wheel, have to take one of the rear wheels off and move it to front and put spare on rear where it will clear brakes Dont see how to do this unless carry 2 jacks.
I bought the compact spare from Bav Auto and it needs a 10 mm spacer to fit on the front. I think my spare is the same as the one ECS is selling because ECS acquired Bav Auto’s assets after bankruptcy.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 02:19 PM   #4
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Here's another option for you, but it's a little pricey.
https://modernspare.com/product/2013...-complete-kit/

I was considering getting one but I just bought a new set of wheels and strap down one of the stock wheels in the trunk for long road trips.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:36 PM   #5
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Here's another option for you, but it's a little pricey.
https://modernspare.com/product/2013...-complete-kit/

I was considering getting one but I just bought a new set of wheels and strap down one of the stock wheels in the trunk for long road trips.
Yea I'm going to do that...and need to find simple jack if anyone knows of one...not sure it matters what kind Hate the extra weight, but with Blue M Performance, space saver a pain. Probably carry some spray gunk too..can have cleaned out if necc.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #6
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t2hoo View Post
I bought the compact spare from Bav Auto and it needs a 10 mm spacer to fit on the front. I think my spare is the same as the one ECS is selling because ECS acquired Bav Auto’s assets after bankruptcy.
So, are you saying that with the spacer the compact spare will clear the M Sport brakes in front? That would make a front flat simpler to handle.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
9t2hoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 Cayman S

Quote:
So, are you saying that with the spacer the compact spare will clear the M Sport brakes in front? That would make a front flat simpler to handle.
That is exactly what I am saying.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t2hoo View Post
That is exactly what I am saying.
did you need to get longer lug bolts?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2020, 02:36 PM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
did you need to get longer lug bolts?
You will need longer wheel bolts matched to the spacer thickness, as the normal engagement of the M14x1.25 bolts is about 8 turns / 10mm, you wouldn't want any less than 6 turns and more than 10 turns is likely to interfere with the parking brake on the rear wheels if too long a bolt is used.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Does anyone have/use a aftermarket space saver that works clean over Blue M performance brakes ? Looked around here and online, and nothing clearly states it.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2020, 12:45 PM   #11
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Does anyone have/use a aftermarket space saver that works clean over Blue M performance brakes ? Looked around here and online, and nothing clearly states it.

Thx

see thread above. will need spacer and longer bolts to accommodate M Sport brakes. not too big of a deal.
Appreciate 0