THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What did you cross-shop?

05-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #45
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Almost bought a Mini JCW F56, until my M240 showed up on Autotrader.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 06:16 PM   #46
MP2M3
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235x

Recently decided to trade my 2016 M235 after 2.5 years of ownership. Had a few expensive repairs that propped up due to heavy wear and tare from the previous owner.

M340xi: Loved the power but it felt too big and heavy. I also am not a fan of BMW’s digital display, but that’s just me.

M235xi (f44): Liked this a lot more than I expected, but the FWD biased AWD system is not my cup of tea. Digital display also was a deal breaker.

2020 Miata RF Club Trim: Absolutely loved this car. No complaints and almost pulled the trigger. I would have needed to buy a 2nd car due to hard winter months in Cleveland, OH which was the only deal breaker.

M2C: I initially thought I would finally end up with a “full M” but I couldn’t rationalize the extra expense based on how I would use the car. I don’t track my cars and it just felt like I’d never use the M2C to its full potential.

2020 M240xi: Felt like a a better version of my m235xi and it checked all the right boxes for me. Hoping to own this car for many years to come.
Appreciate 2
BimBimM21483.00
Miata1385.50
      05-18-2020, 06:45 PM   #47
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2M3 View Post
Recently decided to trade my 2016 M235 after 2.5 years of ownership. Had a few expensive repairs that propped up due to heavy wear and tare from the previous owner.

M340xi: Loved the power but it felt too big and heavy. I also am not a fan of BMW’s digital display, but that’s just me.

M235xi (f44): Liked this a lot more than I expected, but the FWD biased AWD system is not my cup of tea. Digital display also was a deal breaker.

2020 Miata RF Club Trim: Absolutely loved this car. No complaints and almost pulled the trigger. I would have needed to buy a 2nd car due to hard winter months in Cleveland, OH which was the only deal breaker.

M2C: I initially thought I would finally end up with a “full M” but I couldn’t rationalize the extra expense based on how I would use the car. I don’t track my cars and it just felt like I’d never use the M2C to its full potential.

2020 M240xi: Felt like a a better version of my m235xi and it checked all the right boxes for me. Hoping to own this car for many years to come.
Every once in a while a carmaker comes out with the perfect package; the M240xi is just that. Better yet, get a convertible!!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:16 PM   #48
cristo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i Convertible

... but no manual box in the xi ‘vert.
Gotta get the M240i convertible for that.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:18 PM   #49
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristo View Post
... but no manual box in the xi ‘vert.
Gotta get the M240i convertible for that.
Funny thing is they had the manual in the xDrive cabriolet for the 4 series.

I must say though the ZF8 is a gem!!!
Appreciate 1
Miata1385.50
      05-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #50
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440xi GC

Hi guys - new here. I am shopping for my first 2 series. I have some questions... but to post a new thread I need to post a reply, first, and this seemed the topic where I have the most to contribute since I am in the midst of this process currently!

I have more or less settled on an M240xi coupe at this point, but over the last several weeks I have also driven:

1) 2019/2020 330xi - still a possibility, love the tech and definitely more practical (I have a 10yo), and the 4-cyl is so much better than last gen, but not as much fun as the 2 series.

2) 2020 M340xi - as above, but I would need to find a real bargain in order to justify this splurge to my more budget-minded, Nissan-driving spouse. Wow, that engine... but I love the small size of the 2 series.

3) Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Sport - Really impressed, but the infotainment system sucks, you have to pay an annual, pricey subscription to maintain remote start (app-based and apparently flaky to begin with - although apparently it can be activated via Google Home, which is slick), and Hyundai dealership/service experience...

4) Audi A3 to help me assess the S3 (no S3 locally) - Really impressed by what is Audi's cheapest model (the A3) and even considered it briefly with the budget side of my brain, even more seriously considered purchasing an S3 from out of state, but then drove the A3 again and decided it doesn't like the highway anywhere nearly as much as it likes secondary roads, and my commute is 95% highway...

5) Audi S4 - It left me cold this time. Really surprised me as I drove one ~3 years ago and loved it, VERY nearly bought one (prior model year) off the showroom floor, was in the midst of haggling, getting close, when I literally heard someone walk by and go, "It's sold, get it out of here."

6) Audi A5 Sportback - So beautiful... also left me cold.

7) Audi S5 Sportback - So beautiful... But turbo lag! (Salesman said maybe it wasn't broken in yet?? Maybe??) I also LOVED this car 3 years ago but it was way over budget then... Also left me cold this time around.

I think that's it?? Going a bit crazy on the analysis this time around, because I've decided leasing isn't really for me so I am going to purchase this time. I also want to give myself some flexibility in case I completely fall in love with the i4 when it comes out next year...

I should mention that my current car is a 2018 440xi GC (haven't loved it, looking forward to a replacement), and the one before was a 2014 335i (did love it, would've bought it at lease-end if it weren't so upside down).
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #51
c-m
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: N/A

We tested several cars and the M235i won hands down. It just has the all around everything. Classy. Handling. Comfort. Performance!

1. ‘18 mustang GT
2. Audi S5
3. Camaro SS
4. Audi A7
5. Mazda MX5 RF
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 03:45 PM   #52
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyldstyle View Post
Hi guys - new here. I am shopping for my first 2 series. I have some questions... but to post a new thread I need to post a reply, first, and this seemed the topic where I have the most to contribute since I am in the midst of this process currently!

I have more or less settled on an M240xi coupe at this point, but over the last several weeks I have also driven:

1) 2019/2020 330xi - still a possibility, love the tech and definitely more practical (I have a 10yo), and the 4-cyl is so much better than last gen, but not as much fun as the 2 series.

2) 2020 M340xi - as above, but I would need to find a real bargain in order to justify this splurge to my more budget-minded, Nissan-driving spouse. Wow, that engine... but I love the small size of the 2 series.

3) Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Sport - Really impressed, but the infotainment system sucks, you have to pay an annual, pricey subscription to maintain remote start (app-based and apparently flaky to begin with - although apparently it can be activated via Google Home, which is slick), and Hyundai dealership/service experience...

4) Audi A3 to help me assess the S3 (no S3 locally) - Really impressed by what is Audi's cheapest model (the A3) and even considered it briefly with the budget side of my brain, even more seriously considered purchasing an S3 from out of state, but then drove the A3 again and decided it doesn't like the highway anywhere nearly as much as it likes secondary roads, and my commute is 95% highway...

5) Audi S4 - It left me cold this time. Really surprised me as I drove one ~3 years ago and loved it, VERY nearly bought one (prior model year) off the showroom floor, was in the midst of haggling, getting close, when I literally heard someone walk by and go, "It's sold, get it out of here."

7) Audi S5 Sportback - So beautiful... But turbo lag! (Salesman said maybe it wasn't broken in yet?? Maybe??) I also LOVED this car 3 years ago but it was way over budget then... Also left me cold this time around.

I think that's it?? Going a bit crazy on the analysis this time around, because I've decided leasing isn't really for me so I am going to purchase this time. I also want to give myself some flexibility in case I completely fall in love with the i4 when it comes out next year...

I should mention that my current car is a 2018 440xi GC (haven't loved it, looking forward to a replacement), and the one before was a 2014 335i (did love it, would've bought it at lease-end if it weren't so upside down).
The new G20 M340i isn't a bad car, but really only a marginal improvement over the F3X platform (in my opinion). The M240i will be more fun overall due to the smaller dimensions while still being very easy to DD, and while the tech in the new G20 is impressive at first, a lot of it in the end is just gimmicks or very unintuitive such as the drive mode selector and gauges, and too many sub-menus for options, and most people will likely just plug in carplay anyways, plus the 2er has beautiful analogue gauges! If you are looking at hauling people, honestly it is do-able however, I would try it before you buy it. Should probably be able to get a good discount too since 2er's sell in lower numbers.

Hope this helped!
      05-20-2020, 03:53 PM   #53
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I have more or less settled on an M240xi coupe at this point...
If you go with this, it may be worth your while to look for a new, previous year's model with a major discount. Be prepared to search nationwide to find the right car.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:15 PM   #54
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
I have more or less settled on an M240xi coupe at this point...
If you go with this, it may be worth your while to look for a new, previous year's model with a major discount. Be prepared to search nationwide to find the right car.
Hey Wyldstyle, dradernh has the right answer! I snagged a brand new 2018 M240xi convertible fully loaded in exactly the int/ext combo I wanted, brand new for $42k (including tax, registration, doc BS fees, and shipping from VA to MN) in early 2019.

If you can sacrifice the backseat and AWD, take a peek at the Porsche Boxster/Cayman as well!

When I was researching I practically had no budget; I just wanted a versatile, small, AWD convertible with massive modding capability. I intended to buy the new 911 Turbo so needed something in between Nothing comes close to the 2-series. I researched everything from M2C, M4/M4 convertible, Boxsters/Caymans. Even AWD F-Types (but couldn't justify where I would put it; it isn't a track toy and it isn't a Porsche Turbo replacement). Yes, no matter what I tried I was compromising either on AWD or convertible or price. Or in the case of the F-types just getting something which would not fit anywhere.

I hated and loved the RS3, and when I say in the M240i, it just felt so... chill, no fuss fun. Came home, was tooling on autotrader and saw one whit ext and coral int, fully loaded, out in VA. Was marked at its full $60k cute.

Anyway. The two rear seats are a godsend!!

I must say, you will not enjoy the M340xi as much as the 2 series. The M340xi feels HEAVY! You remember how the G37 sedan felt? It feels way heavier than it actually is. That's how the M340xi felt to me.

The M240xi coupe/convertible is the best package, and the best value right now. Especially if this is a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #55
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
The new G20 M340i isn't a bad car, but really only a marginal improvement over the F3X platform (in my opinion). The M240i will be more fun overall due to the smaller dimensions while still being very easy to DD, and while the tech in the new G20 is impressive at first, a lot of it in the end is just gimmicks or very unintuitive such as the drive mode selector and gauges, and too many sub-menus for options, and most people will likely just plug in carplay anyways, plus the 2er has beautiful analogue gauges! If you are looking at hauling people, honestly it is do-able however, I would try it before you buy it. Should probably be able to get a good discount too since 2er's sell in lower numbers.

Hope this helped!
Thanks! Yes, it does help. I do intend to use CarPlay - use it all the time in my 440 and love it. That is kind of how I was feeling, too - like the tech is very impressive when you sit down, but once you start driving it really isn't a significant part of one's experience. (I would love Surround View, though - I have a narrow driveway & live in an area with narrow streets and a lot of street parking... that all gets easier with a smaller car, though!)

Fortunately not a lot of people hauling, only occasional. My daughter is prone to car sickness, which makes the back seat of the coupe, with its fixed windows, especially unpleasant for her. However, she is super tall and has been riding in the front seat for a while now, anyway (better on her stomach), and mostly when I am driving her it's just the two of us. It is very rare that I drive both her & my husband (we typically go in his Murano, which I refuse to drive because it's a boat), and she should be OK on rare occasions over short distances. I am leaning toward a red interior, or possibly cognac, partially to alleviate the claustrophobia of the backseat, which might help a little bit, psychologically!

I've actually found better discounts on the 3 series, which is partly because the rebates are higher ($4500 with loyalty), up to around $10k total off a new one, vs ~$7k off a 2 series ($3750).
Quote:
I am indeed looking nationwide - there aren't a lot around, especially in coupe form... more convertibles. Locally there are 0 M240 coupes, new or used. I was able to drive a 2018 M240xi convertible to assess its driving awesomeness, and then a 230xi coupe to assess the cabin (especially to give it a try with my 6'5" husband in front & carsick-prone daughter - see above - in the rear).

I am considering back to a 2018, although as of today I'm leaning toward new. (There are lots more 2017s out there, but I like the brighter gauge cluster that was added in '18.) My primary concern with going new is the potential for increased depreciation (already steep for a new car) when the 2 series is redesigned in a year.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
dradernh4177.50
BimBimM21483.00
      05-20-2020, 04:32 PM   #56
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post

Hope this helped!
Thanks! Yes, it does help. I do intend to use CarPlay - use it all the time in my 440 and love it. That is kind of how I was feeling, too - like the tech is very impressive when you sit down, but once you start driving it really isn't a significant part of one's experience. (I would love Surround View, though - I have a narrow driveway & live in an area with narrow streets and a lot of street parking... that all gets easier with a smaller car, though!)

Fortunately not a lot of people hauling, only occasional. My daughter is prone to car sickness, which makes the back seat of the coupe, with its fixed windows, especially unpleasant for her. However, she is super tall and has been riding in the front seat for a while now, anyway (better on her stomach), and mostly when I am driving her it's just the two of us. It is very rare that I drive both her & my husband (we typically go in his Murano, which I refuse to drive because it's a boat), and she should be OK on rare occasions over short distances. I am leaning toward a red interior, or possibly cognac, partially to alleviate the claustrophobia of the backseat, which might help a little bit, psychologically!

I've actually found better discounts on the 3 series, which is partly because the rebates are higher ($4500 with loyalty), up to around $10k total off a new one, vs ~$7k off a 2 series ($3750).
Quote:
I am indeed looking nationwide - there aren't a lot around, especially in coupe form... more convertibles. Locally there are 0 M240 coupes, new or used. I was able to drive a 2018 M240xi convertible to assess its driving awesomeness, and then a 230xi coupe to assess the cabin (especially to give it a try with my 6'5" husband in front & carsick-prone daughter - see above - in the rear).

I am considering back to a 2018, although as of today I'm leaning toward new. (There are lots more 2017s out there, but I like the brighter gauge cluster that was added in '18.) My primary concern with going new is the potential for increased depreciation (already steep for a new car) when the 2 series is redesigned in a year.
Check my response above, I don't think I directly quoted you. You are definitely going to end up in an M240xi convertible. Nothing like this package exists.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #57
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Hey Wyldstyle, dradernh has the right answer! I snagged a brand new 2018 M240xi convertible fully loaded in exactly the int/ext combo I wanted, brand new for $42k (including tax, registration, doc BS fees, and shipping from VA to MN) in early 2019.

If you can sacrifice the backseat and AWD, take a peek at the Porsche Boxster/Cayman as well!

When I was researching I practically had no budget; I just wanted a versatile, small, AWD convertible with massive modding capability. I intended to buy the new 911 Turbo so needed something in between Nothing comes close to the 2-series. I researched everything from M2C, M4/M4 convertible, Boxsters/Caymans. Even AWD F-Types (but couldn't justify where I would put it; it isn't a track toy and it isn't a Porsche Turbo replacement). Yes, no matter what I tried I was compromising either on AWD or convertible or price. Or in the case of the F-types just getting something which would not fit anywhere.

I hated and loved the RS3, and when I say in the M240i, it just felt so... chill, no fuss fun. Came home, was tooling on autotrader and saw one whit ext and coral int, fully loaded, out in VA. Was marked at its full $60k cute.

Anyway. The two rear seats are a godsend!!

I must say, you will not enjoy the M340xi as much as the 2 series. The M340xi feels HEAVY! You remember how the G37 sedan felt? It feels way heavier than it actually is. That's how the M340xi felt to me.

The M240xi coupe/convertible is the best package, and the best value right now. Especially if this is a daily driver.
This will indeed be my daily driver. That is how I'm feeling - best overall package.

I am excited for the opportunity to downsize into a coupe, which wasn't possible (well, possible - but not palatable) previously because my daughter needed to be in a booster in the back seat (see my post above). I actually drove an M235 several years back when I got one as a loaner when my 335 was in the shop and immediately fell in love with it... It just wasn't a good option then.

Anyhow - I found the M240i vert I drove to be so much fun at any speed. That's probably the most important difference, to me. With my 440, I enjoy it on the on-ramp and that's about it. I know the M340 would be better in all ways than the 440, but it would still be mostly wasted in daily life, and I am not one for going to the track.

And wow do the 2018s move fast on Autotrader. I found one with 9k miles for $33k (non-BMW dealer) - It didn't seem to have CarPlay, so I was working on figuring out whether it had the necessary hardware for it to theoretically be added - when the guy emailed me that it had sold. Less than 24 hours. He commented that "the level of interest in this car has been shocking," and I was like... not shocked here!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #58
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
Check my response above, I don't think I directly quoted you. You are definitely going to end up in an M240xi convertible. Nothing like this package exists.
Well, coupe... but I think you are right.

I wish I could convince myself of a convertible, because there are more of them around than coupes, but I just can't for many reasons. The biggest is how claustrophobic I felt with the top up (no moonroof) on the one I test drove, which would be most of the time. Also, no garage... Also, the tight back seat would be even tighter.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #59
Mehim
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

I want to check out the gla amg 45. Anyone cross shop that vs m240 xdrive?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 02:43 PM   #60
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Golf R (a close miss)
S3 - less rear seating than the R and the 2er..

I am a VAG guy in my past (and still a bit at heart), wanted to really love the new R but after an MK7 GTI, already, I wanted something rear driven (even though the Haldex has rear bias, now, it's just not the same).

I always wanted an E46 M3, but after driving my friends and test driving the "modern tech M235" it was clear which I would be happier with, long term. The F22 has very good chassis dynamics, like the E46, so it was an easy decision. Top that off with full MP kit, LSD and the inline 6T, it only made sense. Only German sports coupe with an optional LSD, 6MT and an inline 6 turbo was... the m235 in 2015. So that's what I ended up going with. Chris Harris's videos showcasing the performance and value sold me right off the bat. Got a hefty winter discount and never looked back.

Last edited by Dylan86; 05-23-2020 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:00 PM   #61
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
I had a few on my shortlist. E400 Merc, Mustang GT, Nissan 370z, used Vette, and a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

1. The Merc... wifey said I didn't look like that type of Prick.. I can respect that plus that didn't have the speed I was wanting.

2. I'v had about 10 Mustang's. I'm still sick of them and my kid would hijack it.

3. Nissan 370z. I really wanted one! Wifey said impractical as Hell.. true AND it's long in the tooth and still not very fast. Pass

4. used Vette. I just couldn't do it.. I had one long ago and just not a good fit.

5. Jeep Grand Cherokee. Well I still have an old '07 Ford f150 4x4 and my wife has a Jeep Wrangler. I wanted a car, and a fast car at that.

Browsing used cars and came across my M240i. I had no idea how perfect a fit it would be, or how lucky I would be to find one with all MPE stuff, low mileage, and a stellar price. It was destiny!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 02:10 PM   #62
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post

I am a VAG guy in my past (and still a bit at heart)...
My future choices will be easier as I'm now in the VAG-never again camp. Gave them $60k+ for a 2016 A6 3.0T Prestige that had an unfixable (they claimed) transmission, randomly functioning electronics, defective brakes they denied warranty at 18 months of age, and a technician who told me he was told to falsify the repair order to support the warranty denial. Dumped it in 2018. Never again VAG...not a nickel...not a chance...no matter what they build.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 3
Dylan861330.00
Moflow2484.50
      05-25-2020, 05:15 PM   #63
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:

I will just point out that nothing on your list comes in a manual and the M240 does .
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      05-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #64
Wyldstyle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime503 View Post
I will just point out that nothing on your list comes in a manual and the M240 does .
Very true. That hasn't been a consideration for me; although I do love driving a manual, I'm not sure it's the best choice for me in a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 03:53 PM   #65
HolyBull
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

I was looking at a Subaru BRZ.

At the end the BRZ was just a bit too small for me, the f22 has a much larger rear seating area and I could fit my golf clubs in the trunk without folding down the seats.

I also test drove both cars in the dark and the f22 with adaptive LEDs light up the road exponentially brighter than the BRZ.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 09:20 PM   #66
2slo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

I had sold my 2016 Miata Club Sport 6MT because it was too small and noisy except when driving for fun - which it was brilliant at.

I wanted - RWD, Manual, 2dr, 4 seat, good power, good handling, quiet enough to do business calls, blend into traffic, not blue under $27k. The top contenders were G37S and the M235i/M240i. I found my clean carfax Bimmer in Daytona and did a fly and drive.
Appreciate 0