THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Thoughts on Moving to 718 Cayman from m240i

10-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #45
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDM5 View Post
I assume you moved from the Cayman to the Miata RF, correct? If you had to choose only one, which one it be?
I actually sold the Cayman and got a 19 S5. I thought I would like to have more comfort and luxury. I was disappointed with the S5 in terms of handling. It was just too big and heavy. I guessed it was two different cars with different pros/cons. I would not want the Cayman as a DD as I am concern of where I can go with the Cayman.

That is the reason I got a 2019 Miata RF(retractable hardtop) more as a DD. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area and I can drive the Miata topdown pretty much year round. This will be my 6th Miata. I have gone through quite a few cars. Somehow I have always gravitated back to the Miata.

I however like to have another car that has good handling and better power than the Miata. The M240I fits the bill. I don't think the M240i will have the same handling characteristics as my Miata. But it will be way better than the S5. At the same time the M240i has similar power as the S5 and the most important part is it will be a 6sp manual.

So getting back to your question whether I would choose the Cayman or the Miata if I could only have one car. I probably would pick the Miata.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2020, 08:00 AM   #46
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Every car I have had I have modded, Datsuns, Toyotas, GTI's, Mini, now my 240i... However in each case the modifications were less to get what I wanted...Datsuns, Toyotas, GTI, Minis were engine (full rebuild with aftermarket components), full suspension, chassis reinforcement, exhaust, brakes etc.. The 2 Series has been pretty much been suspension, exhaust and a tune. I am hoping to keep the 240i as my DD and get a GT4 in 2 years and at that point I think it may be just wheels and exhaust - for the car to be exactly how I'd want it..

As the cars get better, the need to modify becomes less.. I am hoping the GT4 is the peak of the mountain for me.. Would ultimately love a GT3 but not sure if the bank account will bear that lol.
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 06:20 PM   #47
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

So just closing the loop on this thread. Sold the 240i and picked up a 981 base with manual seats, PASM, LSD (along with Torque Vectoring), and Bose. No heated seats, multifunction steering wheel or extra weight! Now the months long wait for the tracks to open back up around here

Anyone contemplating making the jump, do it! That flat six note is
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
stein_325i25064.00
E46ZHP254.00
      11-14-2020, 07:05 PM   #48
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
picked up a 981 base with...LSD
At a track event at Loudon, I remember a 981 owner going home at noon to get an LSD he'd already purchased. He brought it back, installed it, and pronounced the car much easier to drive. At that track...no kidding!

What impressed me most wasn't the shortness of time during which he departed the track and then had the upgraded car ready to go (which was in fact very impressive); instead, it was the fact that the Porsche hadn't been delivered with an LSD. That helped me to understand what Porsche thought about its buyers.

Congrats on acquiring one with that most necessary of features for a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 07:40 PM   #49
PDM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i 6 Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
picked up a 981 base with...LSD
At a track event at Loudon, I remember a 981 owner going home at noon to get an LSD he'd already purchased. He brought it back, installed it, and pronounced the car much easier to drive. At that track...no kidding!

What impressed me most wasn't the shortness of time during which he departed the track and then had the upgraded car ready to go (which was in fact very impressive); instead, it was the fact that the Porsche hadn't been delivered with an LSD. That helped me to understand what Porsche thought about its buyers.

Congrats on acquiring one with that most necessary of features for a sports car.
Thanks! Yeah it boggles my mind that a LSD isn't standard. It was a non-negotiable when I was looking for one. Can't wait to hit the track!
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50