THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Potholes - what to check after?

03-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #1
jcl89
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i ZF8

Potholes - what to check after?

2015 M235i ZF8 with 31.3K miles (bought it CPO from dealer a month ago with 28.4K miles).

Last weekend, hit a pothole while in Sport mode on right front tire at about 40mph (no braking). Heard a bang sound as it hit - guessing that's the suspension fully compressing. Running 18" stock wheels and PSS tires - 225/40/18 at the front and 245/35/18 at the back. The 225s up front were newly installed by dealer when CPOed.

No tire or wheel damage, TPMS is OK, no vibrations at speed or pulling left or right. Is there anything else I should check for?

Bay Area road quality can be a real bitch sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
I hit minor potholes driving in the city where I work, stuff that didn't even raise an eyebrow and my rims looked fine. Turns out I had my rear bent to hell and i only found out when getting the tires rebalanced since I had a verys slight vibration.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
dglende
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl89 View Post
2015 M235i ZF8 with 31.3K miles (bought it CPO from dealer a month ago with 28.4K miles).

Last weekend, hit a pothole while in Sport mode on right front tire at about 40mph (no braking). Heard a bang sound as it hit - guessing that's the suspension fully compressing. Running 18" stock wheels and PSS tires - 225/40/18 at the front and 245/35/18 at the back. The 225s up front were newly installed by dealer when CPOed.

No tire or wheel damage, TPMS is OK, no vibrations at speed or pulling left or right. Is there anything else I should check for?

Bay Area road quality can be a real bitch sometimes.
I hit a pot hole on the Mission Blvd 880/680 cut over (at the Warm Springs intersection). I was just leaving the intersection, so going pretty slow. But the pot hole was YUGE. As my wife said "we could have disappeared into the thing". Well, blew out my right rear tire immediately... And of course it was a Friday night, so no replacement tire until Monday. Sigh...

No suspension damage, but even after balancing and realignment, some things are not right. I think that the balancing needs to be rechecked (oscillating vibration at certain speeds) and there is also this slight tendency to "shift" one way or the other (like when driving on a road surface that is grooved).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 05:47 AM   #4
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
I hit this a couple weeks ago (the plate collapsed while driving over it). Huge thud sound. Had a blown tire, cracked rim, and a tiny bit of damage to the side skirt but there was no suspension damage. If you didn't even pop a tire and it seems to drive fine, I wouldn't worry about it but an inspection can't cost that much.
Attached Images

Last edited by gtmax500; 03-29-2017 at 02:06 PM.. Reason: Picture didn't attach
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglende View Post
No suspension damage, but even after balancing and realignment, some things are not right. I think that the balancing needs to be rechecked (oscillating vibration at certain speeds) and there is also this slight tendency to "shift" one way or the other (like when driving on a road surface that is grooved).
check the rear wheel for deformation with the tire off. probably need a replacement. also check the front wheel on the same side because you probably hit the pothole with the front wheel first. wheel alignment may be off, too (but that's not the cause of vibrations).
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 10:06 PM   #6
Jllor97
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i 2016

I recently hit a pothole going around 100km/h, heard a loud bang as I hit so I immediately pulled over and to no surprise I blew my front right tire. Rim was bent a little as well but barely noticeable to the naked eye. Real issue is I now have negative camber on that wheel. Car isn't pulling to a side or vibrating but there must be something broken or bent on the right front side...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:25 AM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

FWIW, I just had one of my tie rod ends snap while they were doing the alignment, and I suspect it is the result of cumulative hits like this. It just snapped when they were adjusting it. It looked like a stress fracture starting in the first few threads, no significant corrosion or direct impact damage. Probably could not be seen beforehand without magnaflux, but if you've taken a hit that makes such a visible change (blowout, bent rim, or visible alignment camber) I would have things looked at closely. I've hit things hard enough to feel like it bottomed out a few times, but never blew a tire or bubbled a sidewall, never knocked a wheel out of true.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
Jllor97
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
FWIW, I just had one of my tie rod ends snap while they were doing the alignment, and I suspect it is the result of cumulative hits like this. It just snapped when they were adjusting it. It looked like a stress fracture starting in the first few threads, no significant corrosion or direct impact damage. Probably could not be seen beforehand without magnaflux, but if you've taken a hit that makes such a visible change (blowout, bent rim, or visible alignment camber) I would have things looked at closely. I've hit things hard enough to feel like it bottomed out a few times, but never blew a tire or bubbled a sidewall, never knocked a wheel out of true.
Thanks for the input... Unfortunately I bought this car used with a little under 20k miles on it and I found out after I purchased it that they must've had a similar incident because the right front wheel is welded. Repair looks well done but it definitely left the car prone to damage on that right front tire. Will definitely check the state of the tie rod... Anything else that might come to mind?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jllor97 View Post
Thanks for the input... Unfortunately I bought this car used with a little under 20k miles on it and I found out after I purchased it that they must've had a similar incident because the right front wheel is welded. Repair looks well done but it definitely left the car prone to damage on that right front tire. Will definitely check the state of the tie rod... Anything else that might come to mind?
- Check for damage to the strut piston by pulling back the boot with the car supported on axle stands to maximise the strut extension.
- Check the top of the strut tower to see if it is flat or has been distorted into a dome shape.
- Confirm the car sits level from side to side to confirm the spring hasn't been damaged by measuring the wheel arch high point to the lowest point on the wheel rim.
- Inspect the suspension upright and compare with the other side to look for cracks and distortion - measure the angle between the brake rotor face and strut body to confirm distortion.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
Jllor97
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
- Check for damage to the strut piston by pulling back the boot with the car supported on axle stands to maximise the strut extension.
- Check the top of the strut tower to see if it is flat or has been distorted into a dome shape.
- Confirm the car sits level from side to side to confirm the spring hasn't been damaged by measuring the wheel arch high point to the lowest point on the wheel rim.
- Inspect the suspension upright and compare with the other side to look for cracks and distortion - measure the angle between the brake rotor face and strut body to confirm distortion.
Thanks for the info, I will definitely look out for all of that. Car is going to be taken apart this coming week so I will post any updates.
Appreciate 0