THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum What did you cross-shop?

10-08-2020, 10:53 PM   #67
jliuod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21' M440I

I was looking for a smaller RWD, manual that has similar performance as my S5. The S5 was a wonderful car. It has all the power and the interior and options were bar none the best. The only issue I have with the S5 was it its size and weight. I have a ND Miata RF
6 sp with suspension mods that I drive mostly. I just wished it has more power. Then the M240I caught my attention. I ended up traded my S5 in ordered a 2021 M240i.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #68
elliswyatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i 6MT, 2016 Mk7 GTI

M2, 440i and ix, 340i, S4
      10-09-2020, 03:58 PM   #69
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert

I looked at quite a few cars.

Originally, I was going to purchase an S3 or TTS, but the driving experience was very lacking. The salesman tried to convince me that the steering would stiffen up under higher speeds, but I wasn't feeling it at any mode. The seats were also pretty uncomfortable for my back. I tried adjusting them, and I just couldn't get comfortable. Exhaust note was non existent. I really liked the interior though. Everything laid out was pretty nice.

Then we decided to try the bmw dealer. Saw a beautiful m240ix convertible in Estoril blue. Fell in love as soon as I started it. Steering felt far more superior to the Audi. The car was just flat out more fun to drive imo. The interior wasn't as nice, but the options I had to make it my own made up for it.

I have zero regrets on choosing this car. It puts a smile on my face every time I walk out to it.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #70
GoldfishRT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i M-Sport

I cross shopped basically everything. Mostly was looking at used. Here are some short thoughts on the ones that I most seriously considered. This is far from comprehensive. I took the time while waiting for the right 2er to pop up to look at literally everything else.

Cars that didn't work out:

Audi S3 (2016 Black Optic) - Really loved everything about it but two things. Firstly, the ride quality was absolutely horrific even with the magnetic suspension. Two the incredibly high price it commanded next to anything similar. Furthermore, it doesn't accommodate those of us who are of extra height. I might be hung on this forum for it but I really enjoyed how it drove, FWD bias or not.

Audi TTS (2012) - Excellent car. Felt very dated however. Didn't fall in love with it the way I do with many. I love love love the new ones but has similar issues to the S3 but oddly enough while I fit better in it, it's too small of a car for me to entertain as the only automobile. Combined with that the newer models are expensive.

Cars that I had mixed feelings on:

The Golf GTI and R (MK7) - Both are comfortable, practical, nicely equipped, fast. But also boring. The stick in the R is the singular worst modern shifter I have ever used in a performance car. That said they are so easy to live with and so inoffensive it was very easy to think I'd be happy with either of them after a test drive. But in the end I decided I didn't want an expensive performance microwave for my car. The odd thing was that I definitely felt like the S3 drove better despite its relation to the R.

Cars that came close:

Focus ST (2017 ST3)- Really loved this in spite of seats that hurt my back and poor visibility. Amazing how quickly you could induce lift off oversteer at legal speeds. Total hoon-mobile. Definitely felt the most economy feeling overall though. No refinement.

Subaru BRZ (2017 Performance Pack) - This only lost because it was more expensive and had a poor interior. Supreme fun. This was originally my go-to car. Still would have been if not for used prices at the time. I loved the seating position, insurance price, inputs, ride quality, cost-to-own. It was fantastic.

The BMW approximates what I love about the BRZ while giving me a far superior ride closer to the Golf R, with an interior leagues ahead of either, and did so for thousands and thousands less than either. Absolutely adore the thing. Also looks the part too which helps.

Last edited by GoldfishRT; 10-09-2020 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #71
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Nothing.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey