THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Wheels for M240i 2018 Lci (RWD)

08-30-2020, 08:33 AM   #1
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Wheels for M240i 2018 Lci (RWD)

I Feel like giving up on new wheels for my M240i.
I get told what size will fit without any mods, then someone else with the same spec says they rub! I Spoke to a major manufacturer to be told a fitment for me and then the same company with a branch in another country says they most definitely won't fit without arch rolling or camber changes.
Then I get given recommended fitting where the front poke goes up by 22mm but the rear is only 14mm. Why would anyone want the front with a wider wheelbase than the back, it's not FWD *

I have never had anything like this with any of my previous cars

All I want is, if possible to fit 235/40 on the front but am prepared to stay at 225/40 if I have to and to run 255/35 on the rear, without needing spacer and being at least a couple of kilos, hopefully a little more, lighter than oem

I don't want to make and suspension or camber changes or roll the arches and I'm on oem suspension.

My only other requirement is to get a poke above oem on the back of between 14mm and 20mm max and on the front a poke above oem around 12mm and 18mm

Style wise, ideally I am after 18" wheels similar to Apex EC-7 / VMR710 etc for up to about £1k

Oem sizes are:
Front 18" - ET45 - 7.5J - 11.75kg
Rear 18" - ET52 - 8J - 13.04kg

I was originally looking for 8J / 8.5J
then 8.5j / 9J
and lastly 8.5J / 9.5J

Help, I'm at my wits end on what is normal quite a simple task
      08-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #2
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

no expert, but from reading here, biggest difficulty is the front for space.

"Perfect" would be 18x8 and ET 44 or 45 up front. BUT very few wheels at 8" width...folks here have a few.

If you go 18x8.5 ET44 and 235/40, good chance you will need a 3mm spacer. Some go 5mm for "look"

Some have done the 18x8.5 Apex ET 35 and its fine, I don't like that much poke.

Its not really difficult, just limited. Find a local BMW garage to help if needed. Lots of info in APEX thread and here.

Here's my thread, with some of the same questions...if you haven't read, page 5 and later talk about newly discovered Titan 7 that fit. Forged but "only" $500 each...cheers

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1699346
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 12:44 PM   #3
PurpleFunkMan
The Bandleader
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si-M240i View Post
I get told what size will fit without any mods, then someone else with the same spec says they rub! I Spoke to a major manufacturer to be told a fitment for me and then the same company with a branch in another country says they most definitely won't fit without arch rolling or camber changes.
Then I get given recommended fitting where the front poke goes up by 22mm but the rear is only 14mm. Why would anyone want the front with a wider wheelbase than the back, it's not FWD *

All I want is, if possible to fit 235/40 on the front but am prepared to stay at 225/40 if I have to and to run 255/35 on the rear, without needing spacer and being at least a couple of kilos, hopefully a little more, lighter than oem

I don't want to make and suspension or camber changes or roll the arches and I'm on oem suspension.

My only other requirement is to get a poke above oem on the back of between 14mm and 20mm max and on the front a poke above oem around 12mm and 18mm

Style wise, ideally I am after 18" wheels similar to Apex EC-7 / VMR710 etc for up to about £1k

Oem sizes are:

then 8.5j / 9J
and lastly 8.5J / 9.5J

I feel your pain. My set up is Apex EC-7 8.5 ET35 front, 9.5 rear ET58
Michelin AS3+, 225/40 front, 255/35 rear.
No issues at all. The 255s will 100% fit even if they don't look like they will on the lift. When they are compressed, its perfect no issues.
The only bummer is that both front/rear are stretched. Not horribly, but it is what it is for cars The 235/40 will work, but there's a small chance at full turn it MIGHT just hit the strut, but i cannot confirm that.
I also had an alignment right after the install and attached it. I believe they told me it was as good as they could do without camber plates.
Also, i am stock ride height.
Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf M240i Wheel Alignment 2_24_20.pdf (253.4 KB, 113 views)
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma519.00
      08-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #4
Si-M240i
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M240i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleFunkMan View Post
Quote:

Oem sizes are:

then 8.5j / 9J
and lastly 8.5J / 9.5J

No issues at all. The 255s will 100% fit even if they don't look like they will on the lift. When they are compressed, its perfect no issues.
The only bummer is that both front/rear are stretched. Not horribly, but it is what it is for cars The 235/40 will work, but there's a small chance at full turn it MIGHT just hit the strut, but i cannot confirm that.
I also had an alignment right after the install and attached it. I believe they told me it was as good as they could do without camber plates.
Hope this helps!
Look nice and thank you for information. Yeah the stretch tyre look worries me too but this set up also moved the front wheels 10mm more outward than it does the rears. Has the handling changed at all when pushing hard on corners?
      08-30-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
PurpleFunkMan
The Bandleader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Look nice and thank you for information. Yeah the stretch tyre look worries me too but this set up also moved the front wheels 10mm more outward than it does the rears. Has the handling changed at all when pushing hard on corners?
It handles great to me. I don't track it, but i go pretty hard on back roads.
My only issue with the car period it that the front always feels a little "floaty". And the tires have nothing to do with it. I've seen some posts about people changing to M2 lower control arms that supposedly helped a lot.
Other than that, the car feels pretty awesome with this setup. Would be even better with Michelin PS4S's.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #6
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
It handles great to me. I don't track it, but i go pretty hard on back roads.
My only issue with the car period it that the front always feels a little "floaty". And the tires have nothing to do with it. I've seen some posts about people changing to M2 lower control arms that supposedly helped a lot.
Other than that, the car feels pretty awesome with this setup. Would be even better with Michelin PS4S's.
Drop Powerflex Upper thrust bushing in, change your steering and tightness. I have 235i, but huge difference in tightness and feel. Lil NVH, but not much considering benefit.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
PurpleFunkMan
The Bandleader
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Hockey4 View Post
Drop Powerflex Upper thrust bushing in, change your steering and tightness. I have 235i, but huge difference in tightness and feel. Lil NVH, but not much considering benefit.
Sweeeeeeet! Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 10:57 PM   #8
lrk322
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Hope this helps!
Beautiful wheels!
Appreciate 0