THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Solar LED parts?

11-26-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Solar LED parts?

The wife is on a MISSION. She wants to make her own outdoor solar light creations. I'm trying to find just the small collector/LED component so she can put into whatever her creative minds comes up with.

I thought I had a lead when there was a part# under one pre-built she had bought, but that turned out to be the whole # for the entire purchase.

Not interested in the Christmas light strings, or really strings at all.

If they weren't LED, it would work, but just not as long.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #2
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Are you trying to turn this into a business, or is this a personal project? I own an electronic component business, if you give me a part number we can look it up. If you don't know what you're looking for, try to get as specific details as possible. Starting with the size of the solar panel. I'm thinking you need some kind of a base. Anything that hides in the actual strand, like the size of what watches probably use, I highly doubt would be enough to power lights.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 12:16 PM   #3
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
Are you trying to turn this into a business, or is this a personal project? I own an electronic component business, if you give me a part number we can look it up. If you don't know what you're looking for, try to get as specific details as possible. Starting with the size of the solar panel. I'm thinking you need some kind of a base. Anything that hides in the actual strand, like the size of what watches probably use, I highly doubt would be enough to power lights.
Just a hobby for the wife. She keeps coming home with things like the sidewalk path lights, but she wants to enclose the "light" portion in her own creation. She's not quite to the point of breaking those apart.

She recently found some ornamental wire frame, hung a bunch of crystals she found somewhere else, then wrapped it all in red LED, but I had to hang it close enough to an outlet to be able to power it up at night.

So we are talking something like the mason-jar size. Or, the one where I found a partno was for the complete object, but that was UPC 062964920091 which is a bird from Home Depot. I was hopeful that UPC would get me to just the enclosed light structure.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 02:59 PM   #4
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

I see. Sounds like you're looking for something more put together, unless she's down to get soldering. Check Amazon for small solar power systems. You're going to need a decent size panel though, and a battery to hold the charge. Assuming this setup will charge during the day and run in the evening, you'll need a fairly beefy system i imagine. As a comparison, those solar pathway lights never really work too well, and almost always dim out after a few hours.

https://www.amazon.com/portable-off-.../dp/B00XROF1RI
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
those solar pathway lights never really work too well, and almost always dim out after a few hours.
But that is EXACTLY the kind of thing she wants. These will be solely DECORATIVE, not functional (that is my biggest complaint with the current crop of at least 2 dozen of these pathway POS that we have now.) She "decorated" my entire plum tree with the little color-changing individual bulbs. By the time I/the Hound need to pee at 1-2 in the morning, they are dark. And in the summer, when there is stronger light, the chlorophyll-based trapping devices seem to rob them of ANY juice.

I have seen the string of LEDs, which I may break down and get her a few for Christmas gifts.
Appreciate 0