THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Review of 2015 228i with Sport Line/THP

10-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #1
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Review of 2015 228i with Sport Line/THP

I recently purchased a 228i and wanted to give you all my opinion on the cars performance and how I feel about some of the optioning decisions I made.

228i W/TRACK HANDLING PACKAGE (THP) VERSUS M235: I test drove both extensively and am glad I chose the 228i with THP over the M235. The 228i does not have the same raw acceleration surge of the M235 but it still accelerates very quickly and handles better than the nose-heavier M235i due to the pure 50/50 weight distribution (the 235 is 52/48).

MANUAL v. AUTO: I chose the Automatic and it is really the only optioning decision I have a bit of buyer’s remorse on. If you can choose it, go Manual! Frankly, IHO I think a 228i with a stick and thp is more fun than a M235 with an auto. That said, I have a commute in heavy traffic and I simply could not sentence myself to a manual.

TRACK HANDLING PACKAGE: I would not get the 228i without THP. The Brembo (M) brakes and Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires are amazing and a true step up from the Rubber and brakes on a 228i without, including the MSPORT. Not sure if the adaptive handling is all that better than the MSPORT suspension. Bottom Line: I would forgo Sport line or MSPORT before foregoing the THP if I had to choose. Somebody previously called THP the “Secret Sauce” and they are right on.

Sport Line or MSPORT versus THP (SPORT SEATS or NOT): I contemplated forgoing both Sport line (which I think is gone for 16) and MSPORT for THP to save some money. Absolutely glad I did not—simply for the sport seats. BMW Sport seats are superlative and the base seats simply don’t have the same kind of support. I can’t imagine the THP would be as fun flopping around the car on the stock seats.

SENSATEC v. LEATHER: We have another BMW with leather and was concerned about the sensatec’s quality but I am absolutely happy with the Sensatec. It is not quite as soft as leather but it is very close. Most people believe it is leather. It also holds onto you a bit better in the curves.

ENHANCED BLUETOOTH AUDIO: I did not order it and the car still came equipped with it! Not sure if this was a mistake or simply a BMW trick to get you to pay 500 extra for something they are sticking in every car.

HARMAN KARDON OR STOCK STEREO: The stock stereo is simply below adequate so this was a must. If I was more bold I would have considered aftermarket options. HK makes the stereo tolerably good but it pales to the upgraded stereo option in the GTI—which is kind of embarrassing for BMW.

EUROPEAN DELIVERY: If there is anyway you can do it, do it—especially if you don’t live near mountains. Driving in the Bavarian Alps and Austria was pure bucket list for a car lover. You can get close by going to Colorado or another mountain state but they don’t have the autobahn either!

SATNAV or NOT: Glad I declined this. 2k saved. An Iphone or IPAD mini works better anyway.

ADAPTIVE ZENON HEADLIGHTS: I have these on our other BMW and would not buy a car without them.

SUNROOF: Glad we did not get one. Better headroom and lightens the car by a some.

I hope this helps for those in the market. I spent a long time researching the options and think, in the end, made the right choices.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I agree with most of your eval minus the stereo. Not worth the money for what you get.

I initially wanted the THP but decided to get what I got instead because of the deal. I don't really regret not having it. It takes quite a bit to make the standard car understeer. I would much rather get the performance parts I want instead of paying for stuff I would replace eventually anyway. Seats included.

It's a great car for sure. I love the lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 11:08 AM   #3
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Agree with about everything you said. I did get MSport with manual but I have no traffic issues. THP wasn't offered when I got my 228 but I deliberately avoided the adaptive suspension , just wanted as basic, as sporty car as I could get. Only options are MSport, HK and xenon headlights. No regrets at all except not paying the extra $500 for the MSport brakes.
      10-04-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
I must stand alone as I still don't think the THP is that big of a deal. The brakes make very little difference in normal daily driving to me. I opted to paint the stock calipers and add some better pads.

The adaptive suspension fell on both sides of my liking compared to the analog sport suspension, it was either too soft or slightly too firm for my liking, at least in a cab version. Maybe this is due to the extra weight of the car, not sure. I figured I would just switch out to some KV2's once I have worn the OEM suspension down from mileage.

The stock Pirelli RFT's are a weak point...something I'm working on now.

Everything else is pretty much spot on!
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
I must stand alone as I still don't think the THP is that big of a deal.
You must either be single or have an enthusiast significant other!! The COMFORT setting is a big deal in our house!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:29 PM   #6
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Useful write-up. Thanks. Here are a few comments.

Sensatec: I had it on my E46 for over 15 years and it held up extremely well. The only wear was very slight on the left edge of the driver's seat. Amazing stuff. Highly recommended.

THP: The better brakes, square wheel config, and MPSS tires are a significant plus for the 228, and come at a very reasonable price. Not sure about the steering. My BMW CA told me that THP made the steering lighter than the base steering when in comfort mode. Maybe because THP firms-up the steering a good deal in Sport mode it makes the steering seem lighter in Comfort mode. I never got to test drive a car with THP to see for myself. DINAN offers software that deals with this, so maybe it is a real factor.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 718 CAYMAN S

Sat in a 116i today , and i found the ride as a passenger to be unbearable - every single bump or crack came into the cabin in a bone shattering manner. Since their based on a similar architecture, how does the 228i Compare with adaptive suspension in comfort?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #8
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerLOVER1234 View Post
Sat in a 116i today , and i found the ride as a passenger to be unbearable - every single bump or crack came into the cabin in a bone shattering manner. Since their based on a similar architecture, how does the 228i Compare with adaptive suspension in comfort?
Diametrical to what you describe. My wife, who is not a fan of a hard riding car at all, is quite content in my car when in Comfort...not in Sport.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Diametrical to what you describe. My wife, who is not a fan of a hard riding car at all, is quite content in my car when in Comfort...not in Sport.
Thanks. I've been reading the forums alot and have found many of your comments to be very helpful. By any chance, have you had the chance to compare the adaptive 228i m suspension with a stock suspension F30? wonder how it measures up since i sat in my cousins F30 as well and the ride was excellent as a passenger.

Its a long wait for my 228i in dec :/

Last edited by BimmerLOVER1234; 10-04-2015 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #10
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You must either be single or have an enthusiast significant other!! The COMFORT setting is a big deal in our house!
I DO have an enthusiast in the other seat, but I really think the difference is the weight of the car. The RFT's are the real weak point.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
BimmerLOVER1234
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
I DO have an enthusiast in the other seat, but I really think the difference is the weight of the car. The RFT's are the real weak point.

Thats really awesome. Do let us know what kinda difference it makes after you swap the RFTs out. My wife can't stand a bumpy ride of ANY kind.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #12
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thats really awesome. Do let us know what kinda difference it makes after you swap the RFTs out. My wife can't stand a bumpy ride of ANY kind.
I can tell you that the other car I drove had the MPSS tires and they rode much nicer then my Pirelli RFT's. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on some Conti DWS 06 tires as soon as I can.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks. I've been reading the forums alot and have found many of your comments to be very helpful. By any chance, have you had the chance to compare the adaptive 228i m suspension with a stock suspension F30? wonder how it measures up since i sat in my cousins F30 as well and the ride was excellent as a passenger.

Its a long wait for my 228i in dec :/
Kind words, thanks. I have not had enough recent time in an F30, and never been in a base car so I am sorry I cannot comment.

If you are trying to find a balance to please yourself and your wife, I also suggest a change I made to cope with the worst roads in the country around here in Michigan. I changed the 18" wheels and tires for 225/45-17 at all four corners. I used Michelin AS3 which provide excellent performance but with the increased ride compliance of a taller tire sidewall.

But, for even more ride comfort at the cost of some more handling capability, you could find less aggressive tires. DWS06 would be the next choice I would consider which are still at least in the Ultra High Performance All Season category. If you think you need to take further action to please her, look at Grand Touring tires, although for a BMW, that is a bit like putting wing tip shoes on an athlete and asking them to run!
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #14
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

I could have swore sport seats were standard on all models now and the base seats were an option only if you get the luxury package. Is that just for 2016?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #15
dah
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I could have swore sport seats were standard on all models now and the base seats were an option only if you get the luxury package. Is that just for 2016?
Yes, 'sport line' is now standard (minus the m-sport suspension), but the plain seats are essentially a no cost option. Nice now that you can have sensatec in black or oyster/black in every trim - don't remember BMW offering that in any previous cars.

I would have been happy with the 2015 sport package, but getting sport suspension now requires the m-sport bodywork now for 2016, at the exact same cost as the THP. $2300 for stiffer springs and different body work isn't too appealing considering the actual parts cost barely than the base car's.

I have a convertible with THP (no run flats), and even in sport the ride is softer than my Focus ST, S2000, or E92 sport pkg. However, there is a little jiggle going on in the suspension, not the body, that the other cars did not have. The Dinan shockware may solve, but I am holding out hope for BMW to fix, haha.

Some of you must be jaded, because the hi-fi audio is better than most cars, even several steps above my 'upgraded' Focus ST Sony system, but a few steps below the E92 HK (std back then in the 335, sigh).
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 07:02 PM   #16
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWDdrifter View Post

THP: The better brakes, square wheel config, and MPSS tires are a significant plus for the 228, and come at a very reasonable price.
"Square wheel config"......... Is this new for 2016 THP cars? I ordered a 15 228i Msport w/ THP and the car only came with staggered wheels.

???
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 07:44 PM   #17
RWDdrifter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8ur911 View Post
"Square wheel config"......... Is this new for 2016 THP cars? I ordered a 15 228i Msport w/ THP and the car only came with staggered wheels.

???
I don't recall what one had to specify to get square rather than staggered. So maybe it was (and is) tied to some choice other than THP, and I should not have listed it as I did.
I do think square yields somewhat better handling for the 228, whereas the wider rear wheels of staggered look somewhat better.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #18
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Interesting.....

Square wheel/tire packages are usually used to help balance RWD cars that trend to understeer.

If you have a car that tends to oversteer you might find that a staggered wheel/tire set up can help.

Obviously there are many other factors involved as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 08:49 PM   #19
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

The Track Handling Package only comes with staggered wheels. But you can order M-Sport and designate All Season tires which comes with 7.5" wide wheels on all 4 wheels.
Appreciate 0