THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Headrest backwards

06-02-2017, 01:39 AM   #1
ExZHP
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i MSport

Headrest backwards

Been driving my new (second hand) 228i for about a week and a half now... It was a bit of an adjustment from my beloved '05 ZHP, with some things being better, some definitely worse, but that is a separate topic. One of the things I wanted to play with was the headrest which is not tiltable like in the old ZHP. While trying to adjust it, I put it on backwards, just to see how it would feel. Stupid, I admit, but nevertheless. All of a sudden, the headrest was stuck. Could not be moved up, down or taken out.

As the car is still under warranty, I didn't want to mess with it myself too hard, so I took it to the local BMW service. After a whole day in the service, I got the call that the they wanted to keep the car for another day (that would be 2 days total), strip the seat off the covers in order to take the headrest out and reupholster it again. Even though they told me they would cover it under warranty as I had bought the car from them, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, and decided to pick up the car to see what else I could do. The next day, I dropped by the local car upholstery shop in SF and asked the guys there if they could help me out. Sure enough, the guy comes out with the screwdriver, pops up the little plastic circle under one of the prongs of the stuck headrest and voila - it was out in less than a minute. The guy didn't even charge me.

The question is, are the guys at BMW plain dumb, incompetent, or did they simply try to take BMW corporate to the cleaners?

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 07:03 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

To be fair, I'm thinking that this is something that is a daily activity for the upholsterer, but a one in a million for the guys at the BMW dealership. I'm guessing they might be having a similar conversation about it at the shop ('guy puts the headrest in backwards - is he.....'). And good to know it unstuck easily - that is supposed to be the hot trick to fit in the seat with a helmet on.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2017, 07:04 AM   #3
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExZHP View Post
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................

The question is, are the guys at BMW plain dumb, incompetent, or did they simply try to take BMW corporate to the cleaners?

I don't think you can extrapolate one service experience with one dealership to anything more than that.
      06-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #4
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
One has to also question the wisdom of removing and re-installing a headrest backwards...

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #5
ExZHP
Private
Rep

Well, when the headrest is up too vertically or is tilted too much forward without the ability to adjust it, one has got to leave no stones unturned
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 10:31 AM   #6
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:

You know, it could easily be all of the above.
Appreciate 1
Mehim76.50
      06-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
semclane
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i - Dinan Suspension

I encountered the same issue shortly after I bought my 2015 M235i. My specific issue was that I autocross the car and when wearing a helmet, the headrest pushed my head forward uncomfortably. Again the solution was to take it to the dealer and they had to dismantle the seat to get the reversed headrest out. My ultimate (and not cheap) solution was to get headrests from 3 series which do pivot. Downside is that I have the brown leather seats and the 3 series brown leather headrests are not exactly the same shade. I personally can live with that and the original headrests are boxed up so they can be returned to service when I sell the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
vh2720
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230xi

I got rid of my pre-BMW vehicle because the headrests jutted too far forward. Headrests are an issue on many cars, including Mercedes. And I did try turning them around (they didn't get stuck) but then they were too far back to ever offer support and I felt like I was driving my old Dodge Dart. My headrests on my 230i are fine for me, but see this thread about headrests and how the 328i headrests are interchangeable: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274648. I had a very bad experience with incompetent and sloppy dealership interior work. Be wary of leaving your car at the dealership for any length of time and inspect it carefully when you get it back. Better yet, drop in and see what is going on with it....
Appreciate 1
1more144.50
      06-09-2017, 12:19 PM   #9
FlyinHawaiian
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235ix

I had the same stuck backwards situation. My independent shop could not remove it and the Stealership estimated up to $600! When I laughed, the service writer told me she could make a deal to cap the labor at $475. I resigned myself to figuring it out on my own.

SOLUTION!
Inspecting the passenger side, I found the problem is actually with the right side post receptacle (the one that doesn't have the release lever on it) and the difference in the grooves on the posts. The post on the side without the release lever is chamfered above and below the groove so it can slide in or out without releasing the locking bar. The side with the release lever is chamfered only on the top side of the groove. This allows you to push the headrest in but not pull it out without releasing the locking bar.

Worth noting that the right side receptacle does actually contain a spring-loaded release lever, but it is not accessible without removing the little plastic cover. However, without removing the cover, you can insert a fine pick or a bent straight-pin between the post and the receptacle toward the front side of the post, then simply slide the pick around the post in a clockwise manner 90 degrees from the original. This will pull the locking bar out of the post groove and allow removal.

I hope this helps others who may find themselves in the same situation.
Appreciate 3
Maynard3804.50
      06-21-2017, 03:53 PM   #10
ExZHP
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I had the same stuck backwards situation. My independent shop could not remove it and the Stealership estimated up to $600! When I laughed, the service writer told me she could make a deal to cap the labor at $475. I resigned myself to figuring it out on my own.

SOLUTION!
Inspecting the passenger side, I found the problem is actually with the right side post receptacle (the one that doesn't have the release lever on it) and the difference in the grooves on the posts. The post on the side without the release lever is chamfered above and below the groove so it can slide in or out without releasing the locking bar. The side with the release lever is chamfered only on the top side of the groove. This allows you to push the headrest in but not pull it out without releasing the locking bar.

Worth noting that the right side receptacle does actually contain a spring-loaded release lever, but it is not accessible without removing the little plastic cover. However, without removing the cover, you can insert a fine pick or a bent straight-pin between the post and the receptacle toward the front side of the post, then simply slide the pick around the post in a clockwise manner 90 degrees from the original. This will pull the locking bar out of the post groove and allow removal.

That's brilliant, thanks. I personally won't put mine backwards anymore, but for anyone even thinking about taking their car to BMW for this, I hope they find this solution here.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #11
ExZHP
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
I don't think you can extrapolate one service experience with one dealership to anything more than that.
Actually, 2 separate dealerships told me the same thing. One wanted to charge me $$$$, the other one (where I bought the car from), as a courtesy, agreed to cover it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 04:56 PM   #12
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Actually, 2 separate dealerships told me the same thing. One wanted to charge me $$$$, the other one (where I bought the car from), as a courtesy, agreed to cover it under warranty.
In that case, I stand corrected.
      06-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
DUSTOFF 46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post

SOLUTION!

Got myself into this situation by trying to sleep in the passenger seat for a few hours between a late night of work followed by an early morning requirement. The forward-angle design which helps protect you from neck injury in a collision was uncomfortable while reclined to I tried reversing it.

Way too embarrassed to take it in for help, I did find this solution after much searching, on some other forum referencing a 3 or 4 series owner. So I can see how this thread will come in handy for others down the road.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 10:48 AM   #14
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

Got to switch the head rests out for the 335 head rests. I did this and it makes all the difference. check it.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1274648
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
jimT249
Rep
Drives: 2019 230i xdrive

I'm FlyinHawaiian right now as I just used your solution on my car. You are a genius! A million thank you's for sharing
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 10:57 AM   #16
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

I have the same issue. Instructor reversed the passenger seat headrest at HPDE. Trying to release the pressure on the outside pole of the seat to no avail.

I looked at the driver's seat and noticed the pressure bar is on the inside not the outside.

Can someone post a photo of the outside headrest holder, passenger seat without the release push, so I can focus on where the problem is? I would like a photo of the PASSENGER SEAT with the same view.

Many thanks.

Last edited by ralawren; 03-18-2020 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: Photo did not display
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #17
ralawren
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport w/Trk Pkg

FIXED: I actually used the first method the OP used which is to open up the plastic ring covering the hole / holder in the passenger seat. Just used a very slim flat head screw driver. Once it was open (only half of it) I saw the spring-loaded release lever, and was able to push it open. It works just like the one you use to adjust the seat only it is covered up by a plastic ring.

I am sure the FlyinHawaian's method also works but couldn't find anything small and hard enough to slide in. Popping open the plastic cover and pushing the latch open was a 2 minute exercise once I figured it out. THANKS ALL!
Appreciate 0