THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Audi vs BMW / please dont vote I'm getting a 2 series :)

View Poll Results: Which car would you buy (or consider)?
2014 Audi A5 Cabriolet 8 14.55%
2014 BMW 2 Series Convertible 41 74.55%
Other convertible 6 10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

07-08-2018, 09:52 AM   #23
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
The 2-series is a pretty dull car to drive; as is the A3. Get a used Boxster I'd you really need a convertible....
I don't like Audi's and the Boxster had major main shaft bearing issue failure on older models. Costs over 2K to fix. I considered one but my mechanic advised against buying anything prior to I think 2010. After that Porsche fixed the problem. I love my 228ix Msport and will stick with it.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      07-08-2018, 10:03 AM   #24
vandridine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 xDrive

This is rather pointless. If you make this thread on the Audi forum they will tell you to buy the Audi, if you make it on the BMW forums they will tell you to buy the BMW.

Test drove both and buy which ever one you like best.
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      07-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #25
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandridine View Post
This is rather pointless...Test drove both and buy which ever one you like best.
It goes beyond that. Evidence of the repeated willingness of one company to set new standards (beyond general car company experience) for dishonesty, denying warranty, and cheating customers deserves consideration along with how nice the interior might be. In addition to our experience, I don't know of any BMW CEO (or any other car company, for that matter) who has been taken into custody and is now in jail, albeit on another matter, but which shows that history-setting dishonesty is part of their corporate culture.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      07-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #26
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

It's not totally pointless. 6 people voted non-BMW, which is 31%, and 3 for the audi which is 15%, and that was only a sample of 25 people.

I don't have access to an Audi forum, nor wanna join one just for this.

I had a 44 cab, and would vote that against any BMW, so no I don't accept your point. You are right though in test driving both, as I have not either

The red one in the pic is up my road and I'll pop-in to see it,

There where a load of points I suggested for having a car, even I concede the slant is more for the BMW, but what I guess I was looking for is a "don't touch it with a barge poll" replies. which I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandridine View Post
This is rather pointless. If you make this thread on the Audi forum they will tell you to buy the Audi, if you make it on the BMW forums they will tell you to buy the BMW.

Test drove both and buy which ever one you like best.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:28 AM   #27
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Yup, agreed, my ext. w'tee on the BMW had no problems,, and this is a reason for buying a "newer" car as repairs CAN be explosive to your wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
for dishonesty, denying warranty, and cheating customers deserves consideration
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 11:38 AM   #28
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Honestly I think that gen a5 is absolutely goregous. My colleague got rid of his s5 and got a tts and has regretted it.

But if you dont need 4 seats boxster 100%, the bearing issues were innthe early models/996 era. By 06 or 07 they were sorted.

As for the a5, i mean these are not so bad these days in the reliability department, i had more go wrong in the first 2 years than my coworker did honestly. My nav died, exhaust rattled, had to have my wheel bearings replaced etc. His car just routine oil changes etc.

Plus the a5 just looks like a way more expensige car, and the interior fit and finish is another league, it kcils the 4 series ass in this regard and not even in the same league as a 2er. I love my 2 series, but the a5 is a better car for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 11:35 AM   #29
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

just as I thought I had a handle on this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
I love my 2 series, but the a5 is a better car for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
just as I thought I had a handle on this
You do, just breathe deeply and remind yourself.....ANYthing except Audi, ANYthing except Audi.....

Several other choices from Infiniti Q60 to Mustang, to Miata, but still hard to beat a 2 Series.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
jaye9441007.00
      07-09-2018, 12:39 PM   #31
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
You do, just breathe deeply and remind yourself.....ANYthing except Audi, ANYthing except Audi.....

Several other choices from Infiniti Q60 to Mustang, to Miata, but still hard to beat a 2 Series.
thanks man LOL

mustang comes in a 4 cylinder version now, ecoboost, not sure how good that is, compared to a 2 series, it's a lot cheaper
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #32
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
thanks man LOL

mustang comes in a 4 cylinder version now, ecoboost, not sure how good that is, compared to a 2 series, it's a lot cheaper
I detailed one and drove it back to the owner. I'll take my 228ix over it anyway. Handling sucks.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:33 PM   #33
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

ok sorry to re-open,

so after getting my ducks up in a line (not in a row yet LOLZ) I ventured out to Audi dealer at top of my road

saw a nice RED A5 2.0 cab 2014

I'll be honest, it's a nice car, so here's my thoughts on my visit

1> dealership, seemed very friendly, customer orientated, I had booked an appointment, but when I went in, the front desk girl, remembered my name straight off

2> The sales guy, wasn't high pressurized, really easy to deal with,we had a test drive, even when I told him, I needed to think etc, he was dead cool, he did saw, when I'm ready, maybe he can do a better deal end of the month/friday

3> car had no warantee left, but could add 3 years for about 3k

4> Carfax show accident, front left, but not gone through insuarance

5> Car itself felt rock solid, (comparing to the 1'er) the doors slammed heavily, instead of feeling like tin, the top, was 100 times better the the 1'er
driving, was nice and solid, acceleration was good, some toys on there, quattro version, also had the ability to change the drive modes, turbo engine, but the 28 seemed to be more of a pocket rocket, less boot space than the 128 wider, but narrower, good german build quality, this dealership, does loaners for free (as opposed to PFFAF and BUDS) who charge

6> Trade in, pretty much my market value, which he confirmed subject (to appraisal) he'd give me 20 on mine, leaving about 12-15 on the Audi (depending on final haggle and extnded warantee)

Audi was 28 before taxes and fees

didnt have comfort access, and no USB for music needs an adaptor for about $100, can get that thrown in. sound system sounded good

I was really hoping to go in and think, nah the BMW is better, but I was really shocked, felt like a NICE car to drive, very solid and safe (8 year old in the back to consider)

That said, I need to look at a 2 series, which is GOING to be a lot more than 28 at the moment 12-15 is a def not a problem, more would mean finance.

Also brand snobbery, ok, let's talk about the elephant in the room, yeah, we all like the engineering, performace and all that, but driving a BMW, just feels different to driving something else, benz,porsche, but Audi hmmmm....

The styling on the A5 IS nice and the colour is to DIE for, but the 1 and 2 series has a nicer face

SOooooooooooooooo I'm stuck in the middle, I guess I need to go look and drive a 2'er
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #34
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
ok sorry to re-open,

so after getting my ducks up in a line (not in a row yet LOLZ) I ventured out to Audi dealer at top of my road

saw a nice RED A5 2.0 cab 2014

I'll be honest, it's a nice car, so here's my thoughts on my visit

1> dealership, seemed very friendly, customer orientated, I had booked an appointment, but when I went in, the front desk girl, remembered my name straight off

2> The sales guy, wasn't high pressurized, really easy to deal with,we had a test drive, even when I told him, I needed to think etc, he was dead cool, he did saw, when I'm ready, maybe he can do a better deal end of the month/friday

3> car had no warantee left, but could add 3 years for about 3k

4> Carfax show accident, front left, but not gone through insuarance

5> Car itself felt rock solid, (comparing to the 1'er) the doors slammed heavily, instead of feeling like tin, the top, was 100 times better the the 1'er
driving, was nice and solid, acceleration was good, some toys on there, quattro version, also had the ability to change the drive modes, turbo engine, but the 28 seemed to be more of a pocket rocket, less boot space than the 128 wider, but narrower, good german build quality, this dealership, does loaners for free (as opposed to PFFAF and BUDS) who charge

6> Trade in, pretty much my market value, which he confirmed subject (to appraisal) he'd give me 20 on mine, leaving about 12-15 on the Audi (depending on final haggle and extnded warantee)

Audi was 28 before taxes and fees

didnt have comfort access, and no USB for music needs an adaptor for about $100, can get that thrown in. sound system sounded good

I was really hoping to go in and think, nah the BMW is better, but I was really shocked, felt like a NICE car to drive, very solid and safe (8 year old in the back to consider)

That said, I need to look at a 2 series, which is GOING to be a lot more than 28 at the moment 12-15 is a def not a problem, more would mean finance.

Also brand snobbery, ok, let's talk about the elephant in the room, yeah, we all like the engineering, performace and all that, but driving a BMW, just feels different to driving something else, benz,porsche, but Audi hmmmm....

The styling on the A5 IS nice and the colour is to DIE for, but the 1 and 2 series has a nicer face

SOooooooooooooooo I'm stuck in the middle, I guess I need to go look and drive a 2'er
Sounds familiar....we got taken in at Audi by the smooth/cool sales performance, nice car, etc., etc., and all that vanishes after the sale when all the electronic gremlins start to appear and the brakes warp and the trans can't shift smoothly and the answer is "they all do that", and then Audi of America refuses to stand behind its warranty (it wasn't worth going to court) and has the tech alter the repair order to support their desired outcome. Cutting our losses, we dumped a 2.5 year old $60k+ A6. For the final insult, Audi dealer's used car offer was a lowball; a different brand dealer offered a higher price. Now, we have 4 different models from BMW AG (2 of them Minis) and all is better than very well...the cars' performance and quality have been excellent. We are now NEVER AGAIN for anything VW/Audi. Don't fall for a pretty face. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 04:12 PM   #35
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Hey man,
Txs for the input, that "REALLY" does help alot.

It's the 1st car I've seen in hunting, so really I wanted to

1> actually go see and drive the car myself
2> get a quote on trade-in (more useful)

The comments again where from my 1st time experience.

That said, I've heard BMW horror stories in a similar vein to Audi one's you've listed, of course you personal experience, is very good to hear.

TXS for taking the time to reply

appreciated

Quote:
Sounds familiar....we got taken in at Audi by the smooth/cool sales performance, nice car, etc., etc., and all that vanishes after the sale when all the electronic gremlins start to appear and the brakes warp and the trans can't shift smoothly and the answer is "they all do that", and then Audi of America refuses to stand behind its warranty (it wasn't worth going to court) and has the tech alter the repair order to support their desired outcome. Cutting our losses, we dumped a 2.5 year old $60k+ A6. For the final insult, Audi dealer's used car offer was a lowball; a different brand dealer offered a higher price. Now, we have 4 different models from BMW AG (2 of them Minis) and all is better than very well...the cars' performance and quality have been excellent. We are now NEVER AGAIN for anything VW/Audi. Don't fall for a pretty face. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #36
M235ForNow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Quote:
We spent $62 large on an 2016 Audi A6, only to find poor quality, erratic electronics, unfixable trans performance ("they all do that"), refusal to honor the warranty for warped rotors (a known problem), and a technician telling us that he was directed to write down incorrect information on a repair order to back up their position. We dumped the car. I am NEVER AGAIN for anything VW/Audi....caveat emptor.
Not to mention VW AG consciously green lighted damage to health/lifespan of all humans on the planet, not just those who bought their diesels, by way of what's become known as dieselgate. Proven criminal intent isn't something I overlook. I've owned 6 VW AG products and will own no others.
Appreciate 2
      08-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #37
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
voting standing at 14-3 for the BMW
Make that 15-3. Never liked Audi. Ugliest grill next to Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 05:50 AM   #38
drophead
United_States
Rep
Drives: with the top down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Make that 15-3. Never liked Audi. Ugliest grill next to Lexus.
+1 regarding the Lexus grille. Looks like a cowcatcher from a steam locomotive circa 1860.

But then, if you are into steam punk....
      08-30-2018, 10:02 AM   #39
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

https://www.asburyauto.com/compare/2...audi-a5/143430
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #40
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Wow, interesting. After reading their report, you'd think asburyauto.com was paid off by BMW for that comparison. I don't see any logical reason anyone would select the A5 over a 2 Series, but then again purchasing a car is generally more of an emotional decision then a logical one.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:34 PM   #41
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Hey man txs, for that, it's a real eye opener, AND if (not a paid off advert) a deal breaker

I'll be honest, I was thinking a lot about my bm, drove it again yesterday and today, and I just love the toys, especially the comfort access, remote closing,

Although it looks like the 2 series has a remote close for the top, on the 1, you have to be right up next to the car,I guess for safety reasons, but when it rains handy to have that remote closure

It's not really fair, to compare my 1er with the A5, the A5 was a nice car to drive and really felt solid.

I have seen threads on issues with Audi, servicing and problems, ergo the tranny issues.

I guess I do need to road test a 2 cab, so I am looking around at the moment, for something in my price range, or maybe just wait for a nice wind fall LOLZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #42
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

I'll be honest, the BM put's a smile on my face, and I've had lot's of comments on my car, The elephant in the room... I'm a BMW snob... sorry lads ... hey I'm being honest...
same thing when I had the Porsha LOLZ
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #43
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Time to put this thread to bed now,

30-6 against the A5
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:38 PM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I'll be honest, I was thinking a lot about my bm,
Please don't forget the "w"....if the difference isn't clear....ask your doctor.
Appreciate 0