THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Is there any real competition for the 2 series?

11-23-2017, 06:53 AM   #23
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Yeah. The R was very low to the ground, it seemed to me. Harder to climb out of. I've never had them side by side, though I had my 135is on the day I tested the R and the ingress/egress seemed more difficult with the R.

It was a hoot, though, I really liked it. In the end, it was probably the convertible top, and some kind of ego thing, that closed me on the BMW. Oh, and the fact that Germaine VW seemed to be populated with uninterested jerks.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #24
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainfall View Post
I was looking at CPO cars that are in the same price/size range of 2-3 year old 2 series (today it would be the 2015 M235i), and I didn't really find other options.

Here are some options I considered:

- VW Golf R (but it is hard to find, I'm not a huge fan of AWD)
- Audi S3 (not a fan of AWD)
- Mercedes CLA coupe (the rear is ugly AF and is AWD)
- Infiniti Q60 (wheelbase too long for my taste, price would be a hard one too)
- Lexus RC 350 (heavy AF and lazy transmission)
- Subaru BRZ (loud interior and poor torque curve)
- Mazda Miata (I need a larger trunk)
- Mustang GT (my garage is only 8' wide, so it would be annoying to park it every day)

Having 6MT option is a huge plus, not many of these above offer 6MT option.
RWD is a huge plus
I will daily drive it, so having relatively low miles (under 30k) is important.

Is there something else I should look at?
Lol I basically had the same list as you when shopping. Ultimately came down to the mustang/235i but I also have a tiny garage and ultimately the 235 won. Also rwd and 6spd. 0 regrets!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #25
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
FWIW, our second car is 2015 MINI S with a JCW tuner. The car is blast to drive. Plenty powerful and just Go-Kart fun. Interior, while not quite to the 2 series, it is very nice indeed (we opted for cloth sport seats and they are very BMW like- just not power). Super MPG's (getting 37 around town/highway avg). Very BMW like in operation and appointment (after all it is a BMW product).

The F56 (2dr), appears small, but has plenty of front passenger room and w/ the rears folded, I was able to take home a 55" flat screen from Costco in the box. Back seat is usable for two more fairly svelte and agile types, but who wants to haul passengers anyway.

We like ours so much that we will be trading next year for a 2019 and I will be adding the Dinan Stage 1 to that car ASAP after purchase. In fact if dealer will do it,I'll have them install it at delivery.

Go drive one. Drive the S model, put it in "Sport", move the Auto shifter to the M/S position and have fun. If the have a JCW model you can test drive that as it will show performance of the S model w/ the JCW tune added (w/o the stiff suspension and extra stuff I didn't want nor wished to pay for).

So you know, when I ordered mine, there was no Dinan support for a Tuner, I had to pay the big buck$ for the JCW factory tune. W/ Dinan now fully supporting MINI again, you can for $900 add their tune (which I'd wager is better) and still keep full warranty coverage on you car)
I actually shopped replacement cars for my 2015 C7 hoping to find one that responded like our MCS. I did in the M240i.

I too would echo your comments on the MINI...we don't have the JCW version but love our '15 Roadster S. Drive MINI models at work and had a track day at Indy in the JCW model....awesome brakes and great handling vehicle.
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #26
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

If you decide to look at awd, your next q will be 'what can compete w/ an xdrive 240, and you'll get the same answers (but a few more also-ran's like the WRX). Personally I'm loving the awd performance, not sure I'd ever go back to rwd, even for a pure summer fun car (Miatas excepted)
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #27
F22_Matt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 240i

Quote:
I was looking at CPO cars that are in the same price/size range of 2-3 year old 2 series (today it would be the 2015 M235i), and I didn't really find other options.

Here are some options I considered:

- VW Golf R (but it is hard to find, I'm not a huge fan of AWD)
- Audi S3 (not a fan of AWD)
- Mercedes CLA coupe (the rear is ugly AF and is AWD)
- Infiniti Q60 (wheelbase too long for my taste, price would be a hard one too)
- Lexus RC 350 (heavy AF and lazy transmission)
- Subaru BRZ (loud interior and poor torque curve)
- Mazda Miata (I need a larger trunk)
- Mustang GT (my garage is only 8' wide, so it would be annoying to park it every day)

Having 6MT option is a huge plus, not many of these above offer 6MT option.
RWD is a huge plus
I will daily drive it, so having relatively low miles (under 30k) is important.

Is there something else I should look at?
Mercedes C43, used Caddy ATS-V, Audi TTS + RS3, and Jag XE 30t or S all might round out the upper end of that list, also maybe Mini Cooper JCW. Similar list to what I explored before going with the 240i. Absolutely no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #28
Isolde
Private
Rep
Drives: M235ix

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio is awesome. Too bad no stick in US but the paddles are great and the power is fabulous out of the box. Beautiful leather and interior appointments too.....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #29
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
[/QUOTE] If your garage is only 8' wide a 2er will not work for you. You won't be able to open the door to get out of the car. The doors on these cars are very long.
      11-26-2017, 07:45 AM   #30
TigerTrump
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D GT X Drive

For the criteria I had, I found only 3 other cars that fitted, Porsche 911, Cayman and Jag F Type. The Jag didn't have enough ground clearance, and the Porsche dealers were too far away from home for my liking. So I bought M235. (M2 was only a rumour when I was buying)

I don't think that the 2 series has any serious competition. The only trouble I have is that my wife never stops complaining about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 07:49 AM   #31
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
Not really, stock at least. The golf R/S3 is limp stock but a lot of fun with just a simple ECU flash tune.

Maybe in 3 years time our car will be as fun as it deserves to be too :/

The BRZ is a hilarious lawnmower engined meme ricemobile that doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the 2

The new GT is sweet tho, same with the new Ss/2ss
Lol the brz....u ever see the stock dyno plot of that car? What a joke. Toyota is truly lost.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #32
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
Lol the brz....u ever see the stock dyno plot of that car? What a joke. Toyota is truly lost.
Once I had an aggressive memecar brz driver try to race me on the freeway for some bizzare reason, I ignored him pulling up next to me and eventually he drove off doing dangerous overtaking on the inside, pushing that little custom tuned lawnmower engine as hard as possible

Even with 7k of mods it barely breaks 200 wheel torque and obviously gets slaughtered by even a stock 240 so I have no idea what he was thinking.
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50
      11-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #33
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
Subaru actually designed and builds the car; it is re-branded as a Toyota FRS, but it's a Subaru product.

Toyota owns (I think) 20% of Subaru, which is why the FRS exists in the first place. Other than for some minor interior design differences, and a different MT take-rate (the FRS is more likely to be taken as an automatic than the Subaru), they are identical vehicles made by Subaru.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #34
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
I'm aware yes, I was just trying to point out how lame toyota has become. Also yes, I am former owner and crazy pissed at what the company stands for now. Building emotionless, underpowered and crappy appliances.

Anyone else find it funny how the supra wasn't even present at the tokyo auto show? I think by the time this car actually comes out, if it actually does, no one will no longer care. That or it will suck so bad and fail. whew, the hatred is real. end rant...

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
Subaru actually designed and builds the car; it is re-branded as a Toyota FRS, but it's a Subaru product.

Toyota owns (I think) 20% of Subaru, which is why the FRS exists in the first place. Other than for some minor interior design differences, and a different MT take-rate (the FRS is more likely to be taken as an automatic than the Subaru), they are identical vehicles made by Subaru.
Appreciate 1