THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The official "Ask a cop/deputy anything!" thread

04-01-2022, 08:18 PM   #5655
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwheels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Today has been a day. We just got into a shooting. Thankfully I wasn't injured nor were any of my partners.

But seriously, thankfully you guys came out of it okay.
The situation escalated so fast it spun heads.
Appreciate 2
      04-03-2022, 01:43 PM   #5656
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Today has been a day. We just got into a shooting. Thankfully I wasn't injured nor were any of my partners.
This one? https://www.latimes.com/california/s...eputy-shooting
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-03-2022, 01:45 PM   #5657
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly320s View Post
Quote:
This one? https://www.latimes.com/california/s...eputy-shooting
Google Master!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2022, 07:02 PM   #5658
Fly320s
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.50]
Quote:
Google Master!
LASD doesn't get as many headlines as LAPD.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-05-2022, 03:46 PM   #5659
aguywalksintoabar
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Do you have COW awards? Cop of the week.
Mooooo

In your precinct?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-05-2022, 03:48 PM   #5660
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguywalksintoabar View Post
Do you have COW awards? Cop of the week.
Mooooo

In your precinct?
We have something of the sort. More of an "employee of the month" type of thing. We also have a stat tracker board. When somebody receives an award (…DUI award, etc.) it is posted up as well.
Appreciate 3
      04-06-2022, 10:12 AM   #5661
///d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 35d M Sport

Quote:
Close friend of mine is a Mesa police officer. He was involved in a shooting last Jan. Dude was high af on meth, charged him with a metal framing square. Two taser shots and 4 bean bags didn't even phase the guy. My buddy ended up putting him down.

He keeps trying to talk me into moving down there and going to the academy. 10-15 years ago I would have been all about it, but I'm too old to start that type of career now.

My Diesel Information Thread | My Wheels, Tires, and Fitment Thread | My Teardrop Camper Build | My F15 Suspension Lift Thread
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-06-2022, 10:34 AM   #5662
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

No Knock Warrant Question ?

Hello,

I'm glad I've found this because I really would like to know how "No Knock" warrants work. As a primer, my Dad was a Worcerster MA P.O. for 37 years, I served in the Military from 1988 to 2012. A shade over 24 years. I deployed in Desert Shield/Storm, Kosovo, OIF and OEF.

Do these "No Knock" Warrants require a Judges approval ?
Do the Police "now" ensure the Criminal they are looking for is actually inside the building ? This one really confused me on two incredibly high profile/media covered "No Knock" warrants where innocent people were killed and the suspect the Police were after was either already in Prison at the time or not in the same State.

Thanks in advance. I strongly support Law Enforcement.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-06-2022, 02:26 PM   #5663
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerkHealer View Post
Hello,

I'm glad I've found this because I really would like to know how "No Knock" warrants work. As a primer, my Dad was a Worcerster MA P.O. for 37 years, I served in the Military from 1988 to 2012. A shade over 24 years. I deployed in Desert Shield/Storm, Kosovo, OIF and OEF.

Do these "No Knock" Warrants require a Judges approval ?
Do the Police "now" ensure the Criminal they are looking for is actually inside the building ? This one really confused me on two incredibly high profile/media covered "No Knock" warrants where innocent people were killed and the suspect the Police were after was either already in Prison at the time or not in the same State.

Thanks in advance. I strongly support Law Enforcement.
All warrants are signed off by a magistrate. We use the best intel possible to ascertain the criminal's whereabouts, but there is no 100% fool proof method. These types of warrants are necessary. Do people think if we just knock at the door while introducing ourselves that the criminal(s) will just happily open the door and surrender?!?! I've never seen it.

P.S. I'm not sure which two incidents you're referring to. You'll have to inform me.
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      04-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #5664
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///d View Post
Quote:
Close friend of mine is a Mesa police officer. He was involved in a shooting last Jan. Dude was high af on meth, charged him with a metal framing square. Two taser shots and 4 bean bags didn't even phase the guy. My buddy ended up putting him down.

He keeps trying to talk me into moving down there and going to the academy. 10-15 years ago I would have been all about it, but I'm too old to start that type of career now.
People think less lethal means of apprehension are the end all, be all and firearms are unnecessary. The people who believe that are also the same people who think by watching MMA they suddenly know how to fight by proxy.

I'm glad your friend is okay. Nobody ever wants to be in a shooting. Aside from the potential emotional weight, the department takes your gun, sends you back to psychologist and often there are both criminal and internal investigations opened on the officer(s). The former takes months if the shooting is deemed a righteous shoot; longer if it isn't. The latter is at least a year long process on my department (…and I'm sure it's similar with other departments as well). The whole time you're wondering if you're still going to be employed when the dust settles. It's stressful as fuck!
Appreciate 3
vreihen1615336.00
scostu1623.00
paquet629.50
      04-06-2022, 02:46 PM   #5665
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
All warrants are signed off by a magistrate. We use the best intel possible to ascertain the criminal's whereabouts, but there is no 100% fool proof method.
During the processing of a "No Knock" does the Magistrate ask if Officers have searched databases to see if the Subject is already imprisoned/incarcerated ?

It seems like a simple search, but I'm not sure if you all have that capability.
Do Jails/Prisons provide that information Nationwide to you ?
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-06-2022, 02:51 PM   #5666
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
All warrants are signed off by a magistrate. We use the best intel possible to ascertain the criminal's whereabouts, but there is no 100% fool proof method.
During the processing of a "No Knock" does the Magistrate ask if Officers have searched databases to see if the Subject is already imprisoned/incarcerated ?

It seems like a simple search, but I'm not sure if you all have that capability.
Do Jails/Prisons provide that information Nationwide to you ?
We normally would check something like that (…usually somebody higher up on the ladder). I/we do not have nationwide access as line officers/deputies. I don't even have a way to check the state database. Usually an agency only has access to information in their jurisdiction. When I need to verify something, I have to call that county/agency, the probation/parole officer, etc.
Appreciate 1
HerkHealer1717.50
      04-06-2022, 03:06 PM   #5667
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We normally would check something like that (…usually somebody higher up on the ladder). I/we do not have nationwide access as line officers/deputies. I don't even have a way to check the state database. Usually an agency only has access to information in their jurisdiction. When I need to verify something, I have to call that county/agency, the probation/parole officer, etc.
Thank you. That is exactly how I thought it worked. Something needs to be changed with this process. We are now in the 21st Century for fucks sake. It would make life easier for Officers and approving officials.

I'm not saying that it needs to be on the FBI/CIA level, but Police Officers should have the ability to know if the suspect they are looking for is already behind bars somewhere. It seems like a no brainer to me......
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-06-2022, 03:20 PM   #5668
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thank you. That is exactly how I thought it worked. Something needs to be changed with this process. We are now in the 21st Century for fucks sake. It would make life easier for Officers and approving officials.

I'm not saying that it needs to be on the FBI/CIA level, but Police Officers should have the ability to know if the suspect they are looking for is already behind bars somewhere. It seems like a no brainer to me......
There are thousands of agencies/counties. It is just a logistical nightmare to coordinate that…….but I agree. I wish there was a way to access the information nationally.
Appreciate 1
scostu1623.00
      04-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #5669
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There are thousands of agencies/counties. It is just a logistical nightmare to coordinate that…….but I agree. I wish there was a way father the information nationally.
I set up the first Tier One reachback system from Afghanistan to the Pentagon in 2007 so they could watch live Drone feeds.........it can be done!

Stay safe bud !
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25116.50
      04-06-2022, 03:35 PM   #5670
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
There are thousands of agencies/counties. It is just a logistical nightmare to coordinate that…….but I agree. I wish there was a way father the information nationally.
I set up the first Tier One reachback system from Afghanistan to the Pentagon in 2007 so they could watch live Drone feeds.........it can be done!

Stay safe bud !
Even the drones get it wrong occasionally.

Will do bro!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 04:35 PM   #5671
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:

Quote:
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...1-2-1.pdf/view

217 pages! The price tag to move from a standard firewall to FIPS-40 compliant can be quite dauting, especially for those smaller organizations. We have access to a local County database, but getting info from a broader network is several other steps/login requirements. Certainly no such thing as single-signon in the CJIS network world.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
vreihen1615336.00
      04-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #5672
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/...1-2-1.pdf/view

217 pages! The price tag to move from a standard firewall to FIPS-40 compliant can be quite dauting, especially for those smaller organizations. We have access to a local County database, but getting info from a broader network is several other steps/login requirements. Certainly no such thing as single-signon in the CJIS network world.
I appreciate the complexity of the situation, but again, we're in the 21st Century Tech now. There is probably some kid from MIT who could solve this in a week or less. It is more than likely being held up by Politics and red tape bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2022, 04:48 PM   #5673
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
I appreciate the complexity of the situation, but again, we're in the 21st Century Tech now. There is probably some kid from MIT who could solve this in a week or less. It is more than likely being held up by Politics and red tape bullshit.
FTFY

In my mind, CJIS (CRIMINAL justice information systems) implies criminals, who generally lose some/all of their rights. Should we spend all this extra time/money to protect their PII?

We are about to embark on this recent Cali (I think) boondogle that says we have to encrypt radio traffic because a criminal's PII might be broadcast and picked up by a scanner. Of course, all the agencies who currently monitor each others' radio traffic to provide mutual aid (and know when the high speed chase is approaching their jurisdiction) will have to spend even more $$$ to coordinate that monitoring. Your tax dollars, hardly at work.
Appreciate 2
Sedan_Clan25116.50
cmyx6go15762.50
      04-06-2022, 06:10 PM   #5674
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Quote:
I appreciate the complexity of the situation, but again, we're in the 21st Century Tech now. There is probably some kid from MIT who could solve this in a week or less. It is [SIZE="1"]more than likely[/SIZE] being held up by Politics and [SIZE="7"]red tape bullshit[/SIZE].
FTFY

In my mind, CJIS (CRIMINAL justice information systems) implies criminals, who generally lose some/all of their rights. Should we spend all this extra time/money to protect their PII?

We are about to embark on this recent Cali (I think) boondogle that says we have to encrypt radio traffic because a criminal's PII might be broadcast and picked up by a scanner. Of course, all the agencies who currently monitor each others' radio traffic to provide mutual aid (and know when the high speed chase is approaching their jurisdiction) will have to spend even more $$$ to coordinate that monitoring. Your tax dollars, hardly at work.
Excellent point(s)!
Appreciate 1
cmyx6go15762.50
      04-06-2022, 06:46 PM   #5675
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Do you remember your first day on the job after graduating from the academy? I'm sure that these two first-day NY State Troopers will! No fatalities, but two of the people in the accident (no names published or whether the were officers) were transported to the hospital.....

https://hudsonvalleypost.com/flying-...zmat-response/

That front ram bar really took a beating.....

04-06-2022, 07:16 PM   #5676
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Do you remember your first day on the job after graduating from the academy? I'm sure that these two first-day NY State Troopers will! No fatalities, but two of the people in the accident (no names published or whether the were officers) were transported to the hospital.....
I sure do. I can recall everything because it's over-stimulation and it gets etched into your psyche.
Appreciate 2
paquet629.50
vreihen1615336.00