THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum She isn't pristine anymore 🙁

06-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
an4691
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C in HS

She isn't pristine anymore 🙁

I went to the parking lot today after a week(I only get to drive on weekends) and my day was ruined. I saw this really deep scratch on the bumper. It looks like someone banged their luggage/shopping on to it and something really sharp cut through.

Unfortunately my buildings security doesn't have cameras on every floor and I don't have a dashcam so there's no finding out who did this.

This is my first Bmw and my first car so I have little to no idea about how such scratches are fixed, can anyone here tell me more ? Also if you know of any good shops to get this fixed around Jersey City, NJ.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1553
Size:  287.7 KB

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

It does look deep. Which means in order to get a smooth surface for painting the feathering of the damage is going to be a large area Then you either attempt to blend the finish or since it's a bumper and they're easy to remove just have the whole bumper resprayed.
As for the shop, the BMW paint is water based and you need to duplicate the metallic so you need a shop that follows the BMW procedures.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Painful. I still take a once-around my car everytime I go out to it in public. I was waiting out in the lot at Lowe's with the puppy last week while my parents grabbed a few things and watched a cart blow into motion and slam a Genesis just behind the passenger front wheel. Big dent I could see from 25 feet away. The clueless guy comes out, hops in and backs right out, probably scraping more as the cart stayed in contact and then rolled along to slam the next car in line.

Last edited by redontheline; 06-21-2016 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

That sucks. Hate careless people.
      06-20-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

That really sucks.. I feel your angst..

Same thing happened to me a week after the purchase of my previous E82 a few years back.. Park as far away as I can from everyone and this, "Large Marge" pulls up in the classic mini van as I'm walking up to leave and actually pushes the door open with her less than delicate bovine leg..

*DANK!*...

She stares at me as it hits with her Artie Lange scowl and beard, shakes her head and didn't skip a beat to get back to yelling at her drooling and screaming tax deductions..

Realizing INSTANTANEOUSLY that a valid insurance card wasn't an option and probably disappeared into a fold long ago, I didn't even look at the damage, got in and drove off.

I had a friend pull the crease and repaint the panel for a, "discounted" price and just "daydreamed" that it was paid for by Geico, the General or who ever provides non-existant coverage to happy meal vomit filled early 90's Chrysler vans.

Self induced ignorance can be bliss at times.

Lesson learned on my part.... I chose to walk away instead of letting it consume me and literally spending twice as much trying to prove fault and intent.

In time, It will happen again. That is unless I trade the 235 in for a 1972 Ford Pinto. Then it would never happen again..

I hope your damage repair is clean and quick..
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
SLSMan100
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 m240i Cab

I had a '72 Ford Pinto for a time and would say each scratch and ding improved the look. That was a long time ago....
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2016, 07:31 AM   #7
beenthere1
Private
Rep
Drives: m340i xdrive, x3 m40i

Looks somewhat similar to what happened to mine on the front bumper. Some mouth breather backed into my car while I was in the supermarket and drove off.

The shop charged me around $2000 and I made a claim with my insurance. Since I haven't had any accidents, my rate was unaffected by the claim. After two years, I will accrue another "free" repair.

I used Classic Coachworks for the repairs and they truly are FANTASTIC. I have used them for years-- the work is incredible and the process is painless. They are based out of the Philadelphia suburbs but it might be worth the hike if you can't find another option. http://classiccoachwork.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 12:49 PM   #8
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Drink a beer and

Call it a day. It's a car. It's consumable. It will end up in a junk yard someday.

A couple of options for you:

1. Do nothing until you get at least 3 or more dents on the bumper. Then buy another bumper and have a reputable paint shop paint it for you (about 300 bucks + a little more for metallic paint). Replace bumper with newly painted bumper (There's a couple screws and a bunch of clips!). You save money on the labor and get initimate with your bmw's rear end. (Ideal option for better than factory results)

2. Hire a local bumper doctor. These are drive by operations. About 300 bucks. Quality varies. So-so with metallic. Looking at it an angles, it may or may not be good.

3. Do nothing and have another beer (Free!)
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 05:47 PM   #9
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Someone pushed the passenger side of the power fold in mirror on our new 2281vert in at a parking lot while my wife was at lunch. She pushed it back and I checked it later. I would love to catch one of these a--holes. It was ok but I didn't think they could be pushed in manually. Never had them, is that true?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
an4691
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Someone pushed the passenger side of the power fold in mirror on our new 2281vert in at a parking lot while my wife was at lunch. She pushed it back and I checked it later. I would love to catch one of these a--holes. It was ok but I didn't think they could be pushed in manually. Never had them, is that true?
It's true, they can be moved manually.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:43 PM   #11
an4691
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancyfl1ght View Post
Call it a day. It's a car. It's consumable. It will end up in a junk yard someday.

A couple of options for you:

1. Do nothing until you get at least 3 or more dents on the bumper. Then buy another bumper and have a reputable paint shop paint it for you (about 300 bucks + a little more for metallic paint). Replace bumper with newly painted bumper (There's a couple screws and a bunch of clips!). You save money on the labor and get initimate with your bmw's rear end. (Ideal option for better than factory results)

2. Hire a local bumper doctor. These are drive by operations. About 300 bucks. Quality varies. So-so with metallic. Looking at it an angles, it may or may not be good.

3. Do nothing and have another beer (Free!)
Very good points. Thanks a lot!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #12
an4691
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere1 View Post
Looks somewhat similar to what happened to mine on the front bumper. Some mouth breather backed into my car while I was in the supermarket and drove off.

The shop charged me around $2000 and I made a claim with my insurance. Since I haven't had any accidents, my rate was unaffected by the claim. After two years, I will accrue another "free" repair.

I used Classic Coachworks for the repairs and they truly are FANTASTIC. I have used them for years-- the work is incredible and the process is painless. They are based out of the Philadelphia suburbs but it might be worth the hike if you can't find another option. http://classiccoachwork.com/
Woah! 2000 for the bumper ?? I didn't think they would be that expensive.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:46 PM   #13
an4691
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLSMan100 View Post
I had a '72 Ford Pinto for a time and would say each scratch and ding improved the look. That was a long time ago....
omg! what an ugly car..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #14
an4691
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
That really sucks.. I feel your angst..

Same thing happened to me a week after the purchase of my previous E82 a few years back.. Park as far away as I can from everyone and this, "Large Marge" pulls up in the classic mini van as I'm walking up to leave and actually pushes the door open with her less than delicate bovine leg..

*DANK!*...

She stares at me as it hits with her Artie Lange scowl and beard, shakes her head and didn't skip a beat to get back to yelling at her drooling and screaming tax deductions..

Realizing INSTANTANEOUSLY that a valid insurance card wasn't an option and probably disappeared into a fold long ago, I didn't even look at the damage, got in and drove off.

I had a friend pull the crease and repaint the panel for a, "discounted" price and just "daydreamed" that it was paid for by Geico, the General or who ever provides non-existant coverage to happy meal vomit filled early 90's Chrysler vans.

Self induced ignorance can be bliss at times.

Lesson learned on my part.... I chose to walk away instead of letting it consume me and literally spending twice as much trying to prove fault and intent.

In time, It will happen again. That is unless I trade the 235 in for a 1972 Ford Pinto. Then it would never happen again..

I hope your damage repair is clean and quick..
Just 1 week after! that's terrible.

I think you made the right choice, all the tension just isn't worth it, at least for the small stuff.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 06:51 PM   #15
an4691
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
It does look deep. Which means in order to get a smooth surface for painting the feathering of the damage is going to be a large area Then you either attempt to blend the finish or since it's a bumper and they're easy to remove just have the whole bumper resprayed.
As for the shop, the BMW paint is water based and you need to duplicate the metallic so you need a shop that follows the BMW procedures.
I didn't know that, thanks for the info! Do you know if it's possible to look up bmw compliant paint shops online ?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:31 PM   #16
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by an4691 View Post
I didn't know that, thanks for the info! Do you know if it's possible to look up bmw compliant paint shops online ?
What I like ( what BMW recommends ) are BMW CERTIFIED COLLISION REPAIR CENTERS for structural work, not saying another type of shop couldn't do proper work... I like the Certified Centers.

For painting BMW has ColorSystem does use the water based paint and it's good at color matching and offers warranty covered BMW paint repairs.

You could probably call BMW 1-800 number for the nearest BMW Certified Repair Center.

Still do some Yelp and Google reviews of the shop you chose and ask to see a repaint job - any good shop won't mind.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #17
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

2000 dollar bumper

Quote:
Woah! 2000 for the bumper ?? I didn't think they would be that expensive.
That money is the labor for disassembly and reassembly. That is where body shops stick it to you.

You can do this yourself and use the body shop for what it is good for, the paint work.

Now the difference between a good body shop and a bad one is their paint work.

Ask how they color match and tint the paint to match the aging of the paint on the car. Remember car paint does not remain stable and changes subtely over time.
Alpine White BMW 228i (Stripper Special with Lighting Package as the ONLY option), HD-LINK IW06B-N23 Backup Camera & HDMI Input, Technic ASD Removal Harness (Wire Nut Mod), Technic Hifi Harness, Focal FDP 6.900, Hertz Energy ECX 100.5.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 08:20 PM   #18
fancyfl1ght
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Bmw Certified Collision Repair Centers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
What I like ( what BMW recommends ) are BMW CERTIFIED COLLISION REPAIR CENTERS for structural work, not saying another type of shop couldn't do proper work... I like the Certified Centers.

For painting BMW has ColorSystem does use the water based paint and it's good at color matching and offers warranty covered BMW paint repairs.

You could probably call BMW 1-800 number for the nearest BMW Certified Repair Center.

Still do some Yelp and Google reviews of the shop you chose and ask to see a repaint job - any good shop won't mind.
Yeah they are good at charging a whole lot more for the same work, just like BMW's certified pre-owned program.

And I have had crappy CPO BMWs that had the entire front end, dynamic suspension and transmissioned replaced because the previous owner had a front end collision that he did not mention at lease turn in. So much for a CPO BMW. . .

But I am glad that BMW bought it back from me. Great company, they are just better at marketing.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 06:22 AM   #19
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
It's true, they can be moved manually.
Great, thanks. A little paranoid here, this is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #20
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

You can also start at the dealer you bought the car from and they would have a list of recommended body shops for this. Also 2000 seems way too much but then the prices vary a lot regionally.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #21
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
It could have been someone being a jerk. Could also have been someone folding it so that he didn't scrape it with something on his car (such as a towing mirror) as he moved by.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0