THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Mix and match tire brands

08-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
thevinman01
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Xdrive

Mix and match tire brands

Hello I am currently needing to change my tires because I hit a pothole and I need one tire changed and I want to get rid of the run flats because they are expensive.

Is it okay to have two different set brands?
Like Michelin tires in the front and perrelli in the back?

My car is awd
      08-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

If you drive fast then I would say don't mix.

And mixing runflat with non-runflat, introducing such different types of tires that is also a bad situation. Even mixing broadly different kind of tread patterns isn't really a good idea.

Have you gone to TireRack and priced out the proper size, speed and load-rated tires that are not runflat for your car ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
thevinman01
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
If you drive fast then I would say don't mix.

And mixing runflat with non-runflat, introducing such different types of tires that is also a bad situation. Even mixing broadly different kind of tread patterns isn't really a good idea.

Have you gone to TireRack and priced out the proper size, speed and load-rated tires that are not runflat for your car ?
I haven't gone to any tire shops yet just wanted to see some suggestions on here first. Also the fastest I'll be going is about 80 on the high way. Just wanted to mix the tire brands because I cant afford to get all four replaced rn untill next pay check
      08-09-2020, 12:18 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevinman01 View Post
I haven't gone to any tire shops yet just wanted to see some suggestions on here first. Also the fastest I'll be going is about 80 on the high way. Just wanted to mix the tire brands because I cant afford to get all four replaced rn untill next pay check
Understand.

I do think right now if you install a pair of new tires of another brand on either end you'll be fine.

Tirerack is a really good source of info and pricing, type in your car model and it will bring up a variety of possible tires. It's good info to have before walking into a tire store.

Are you confident the wheel wasn't damaged at all ?

Finally if you minimize your mileage and speed you could have one tire installed as a fix until your ready to add a set or 1/2.

Also check if your owners manual (page 176 also on iDrive) for info pertaining to different type tires on the same axle.
Appreciate 0