THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Coolant Leak - Price for Repair

12-10-2023, 01:25 PM   #1
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Coolant Leak - Price for Repair

My 2017 m240i is leaking coolant. Woke up the other day and noticed it’s all over the floor. I turned on the engine and the coolant light was on.

I’m not sure where the leak is coming from - but I want to take it to the dealership for repair. How much is it likely going to cost roughly?

Also - am I even able to drive the car to the dealership? It’s like 1-2 miles way from me. Is it dangerous to drive the car that distance with no coolant?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 01:36 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

You can put water (ideally distilled water but regular tap would do in a pinch) in the big reservoir and see how quickly it empties...

If it pours out quickly then no. It isn't healthy to run the pumps dry. Best idea would be a flat bed at that point.

If the pump is leaking or one of the millions of hoses, it's hard to say where it's coming from. It could be cheap or expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 04:27 PM   #3
bmw1010
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
You can put water (ideally distilled water but regular tap would do in a pinch) in the big reservoir and see how quickly it empties...

If it pours out quickly then no. It isn't healthy to run the pumps dry. Best idea would be a flat bed at that point.

If the pump is leaking or one of the millions of hoses, it's hard to say where it's coming from. It could be cheap or expensive.
Oh okay cool, so if it doesn’t empty right away, I can use distilled or tap water to at least drive to the mechanic shop?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 04:46 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1010 View Post
Oh okay cool, so if it doesn’t empty right away, I can use distilled or tap water to at least drive to the mechanic shop?
I suggest carrying some water with you in case the coolant light comes back on and you need to refill on the way to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 07:38 PM   #5
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Good idea to bring along extra. 1-2 miles should be quick enough on a cold engine to not boil the water. Again, assuming a slow leak...

Hope it works out.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Coolant on the floor typically mrans that the heater core or its associated hoses/pipes are leaking.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:00 AM   #7
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Floor = Ground?
or
Floor = Interior Floor?

And I wouldn't put tap water in there at all... Why contaminate the engine core with minerals that don't belong there? Distilled water, or a gallon of coolant if your gonna try to drive it. But really, for a cheap tow, why would you want to risk the engine? Is a silly risk indeed.

But you could do some diagnosis too, fill the tank and see if the leak is visible if in engine bay. Sometimes a pressure tester is needed, sometimes not, if a line or tank is cracked for example. It's kind of a good thing for it to be on the ground, in a way... Losing coolant unseen is more problematic. But leaks can be a PITA too, I had one that was a hairline crack and couldn't find it for a long time. I just kept topping off until I did and made sure it was filled and kept a sharp eye on the Temp Gauge.

Again, for the potential failure to domino effect if trying to drive it down the road vs cost of a tow. I'd tow... Check your insurance today, many policies have roadside assistance included too... So it might not cost what you think it would. Or do you have AAA?

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 12:31 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Without knowing the source of the leak, it's very hard to say how much it will cost to fix or if you should drive it. Given that coolant is all over the floor tells me that the leak is pretty severe. The cooling system is under pressure when the pumps are running thus much of the coolant will be pushed out when driving.

If you're not mechanically inclined and are not comfortable with troubleshooting, your best option is to tow it to a BMW dealer or independent BMW shop. If you overheat that motor, you're looking at a multi thousand dollar repair bill. It's not worth the risk/gamble just to save on a $150-200 tow.