THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Coding offline?

12-29-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Coding offline?

I want to start off with saying that I have searched but cannot find instructions for offline coding. A couple of days ago I found a post that had the basic outline of the steps typed but forgot who posted it and where I found it. I cannot find it now.

I'm at work and don't have a lot of time to go out to the parking lot to code my car so if I could just code offline that would be great. It's my first time coding and I have the software installed and ready to go. I'm going to follow MASH65's step by step coding instructions to code the halo at full brightness just to get the idea since it shouldn't take that long before actually doing offline coding.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Watch the Coding 101 video by pikcachu on Page 1 of the F22 coding cheat sheet.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #3
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
I want to start off with saying that I have searched but cannot find instructions for offline coding. A couple of days ago I found a post that had the basic outline of the steps typed but forgot who posted it and where I found it. I cannot find it now.

I'm at work and don't have a lot of time to go out to the parking lot to code my car so if I could just code offline that would be great. It's my first time coding and I have the software installed and ready to go. I'm going to follow MASH65's step by step coding instructions to code the halo at full brightness just to get the idea since it shouldn't take that long before actually doing offline coding.

Thanks!
Check out Coding Made Easier (Cheat Codes in E-Sys Launcher)

Saving FA, SVT, CAFD
Just FYI, when you read FA and SVT, you still must save to computer if you want backup copy. However, when you hit "Read Coding Data," it automatically generates a and overwrites any existing *.ncd with the same name in your %\data\CAF folder. As such, you must move or copy CAFD's first if you want them for comparison or backups.
And, assuming you are loading these *.ncd's offline from the same location, they are also updated with changes when you hit "Save" from the FDL-Editor.

Post-Offline Coding
Therefore, when you re-connect to vehicle, all you must do is the following:
1) Read FA ==> Activate FA
2) Read SVT (Optional: use SVT filter to show only CAFD)
3) Right Click Blue CAFD with Green Checkmark ==> "New" ==> "FDL" & load modified CAFD
4) Left click Orange CAFD ==> Hit "Code FDL"
5) Wait and confirm there are "0" errors.
6) Repeat 3-5, as needed
6) Depending on the coded modules, you may need to use the external transmitter to clear dash errors
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 12:36 PM   #4
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Watch the Coding 101 video by pikcachu on Page 1 of the F22 coding cheat sheet.
I did watch the video and saw that he mentioned offline coding but was unaware that he showed the steps. I will re-watch it again and try to see where he begins the offline coding, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Check out Coding Made Easier (Cheat Codes in E-Sys Launcher)

Saving FA, SVT, CAFD
Just FYI, when you read FA and SVT, you still must save to computer if you want backup copy. However, when you hit "Read Coding Data," it automatically generates a and overwrites any existing *.ncd with the same name in your %\data\CAF folder. As such, you must move or copy CAFD's first if you want them for comparison or backups.
And, assuming you are loading these *.ncd's offline from the same location, they are also updated with changes when you hit "Save" from the FDL-Editor.

Post-Offline Coding
Therefore, when you re-connect to vehicle, all you must do is the following:
1) Read FA ==> Activate FA
2) Read SVT (Optional: use SVT filter to show only CAFD)
3) Right Click Blue CAFD with Green Checkmark ==> "New" ==> "FDL" & load modified CAFD
4) Left click Orange CAFD ==> Hit "Code FDL"
5) Wait and confirm there are "0" errors.
6) Repeat 3-5, as needed
6) Depending on the coded modules, you may need to use the external transmitter to clear dash errors
Thanks for the link and thanks for the tips! Good to know about the backup. I am going to watch the coding 101 video again since I obviously missed the offline coding part and will attempt to code my car soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
I did watch the video and saw that he mentioned offline coding but was unaware that he showed the steps. I will re-watch it again and try to see where he begins the offline coding, thank you!

Thanks for the link and thanks for the tips! Good to know about the backup. I am going to watch the coding 101 video again since I obviously missed the offline coding part and will attempt to code my car soon!
You just load NCD in FDL-Editor. Then, follow previous instructions to apply.
Appreciate 0