THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning My Dinantronics Sport long-term review. It's complicated.

09-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

My Dinantronics Sport long-term review. It's complicated.

I've owned my Dinantronics Sport since February of this year. It's been run in the 30 degree dry air weather and 100+ degree humid weather. I've run all the performance settings for long periods of time in varying conditions: Sport (~2 psi), Sport+ (~3 psi), and Race (~4 psi). My car is a 6MT with no other performance mods except the MP exhaust and LSD. I drive moderately hard and run 93 octane exclusively.

The MPPK tune
The M235 comes from the factory with the M Performance Power Pack (MPPK) tune as stock and that's why the M235 320hp/330tq has the additional power over the 335/435 which is 300hp/300tq stock. The MPPK tune adds ~2 psi and gives the M235 approximately a max 10 psi at standard elevation. This max psi can vary dependent on load, ambient conditions, elevation, gear, etc. You can buy the MPPK from BMW for the 335/435 and those that have dynoed before and after have seen the MPPK add around 20whp and 30wtq on the Dynojet.

What the Dinan Sport does
For those that don't know, all the Dinan Sport does is interrupt and under-report the boost signal to the DME. For example, when Dinan Sport is in the Sport setting and the DME commands 10 psi, the Dinan Sport tells the DME it's only getting 8 psi thus the DME commands more boost and adjusts the AFR and timing to compensate. The end result is it actually boosts to around 12 psi though the DME is only seeing 10 psi. The Dinan Sport is what they call an "additive" device. In general terms, whatever the setting the device is in, is what additional boost is being added. However, it's still not perfect and can lead to wonky driving characteristics in certain situations and settings.

Non-additive piggyback tuners
The JP4 piggyback that so many run on these cars plugs into other sensors and is not an additive boost tuner. It's a better approach if you want to add more consistent and higher power. However, the JP4 negates the MPPK tune and many don't realize this. So for example, on a stock 335/435 with 8 psi, the JP4 in the Setting 1 will add up to 4 psi to bring the total psi to around 12 psi. If you were to run the JP4 in Setting 1 on the M235 it too would be a max psi of around 12 psi and NOT 14 psi. It believe the maximum boost the JP4 can run is around 5-6 psi over stock or around 13-14 psi. Just something to keep in mind here as I discuss my Dinan Sport findings below. Even though the JP4 plugs into additional sensors, it's power delivery can be inconsistent has you run the higher boost settings. There are flash tunes now available which reportedly make for consistent power delivery along with more boost, but I'm not going to discuss that in this thread as it's a totally different tuning approach that is not easily reversible nor overly cheap.

Here's my experience with the Dinan Sport:

1) The device in Sport, Sport+, and Race increases throttle sensitivity throughout the entire range of the throttle travel regardless of the throttle setting (i.e., Comfort or Sport throttle setting). I would say the throttle is 10-15% more sensitive overall.

2) Once ambient temps exceed 75 degrees and the motor is heat soaked, the driveability suffers in the Sport+ and Race settings, especially in 80+ degree humid air. The motor can feel flat above 5,000rpms or during 3rd and 4th gear highway pulls. My guess is the DME is detecting or foreseeing detonation and is pulling timing. Power can also be inconsistent and lag increased when in these setting and in warmer air. Theoretically, the DME is being commanded to make 13 to 14 psi and the DME doesn't seem overly happy about it on occasion.

3) The Sport setting and with 93 octane by far feels the best and most consistent in hot ambient temps and even cold ambient temps. Power is solid and lag is like stock. Power builds and builds through the entire rev range. I dare to say that the Sport setting consistently feels like Sport+ on it's best day. It feels like MPPK+, as it should. My guess is the DME is pretty happy living with this setting and perhaps with the 93 octane, it's advancing timing thus creating more power than you would expect from 2 psi additive. The N55 simply feels willing, loose, and flexible. The motor most definitely feels more powerful all throughout the powerband with the most noticeable power in the low and midrange though will sail to 7,000rpms too.

4) If you have an Android device with Oreo, beware that the Dinan Sport app will not work thus you can't change the settings. I have to use an older Android device to change the settings.

5) I haven't driven in the snow yet with the Dinan Sport. There is a valet setting which reduces factory boost by around 2 to 3 psi. This will be nice in the slippery stuff.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this simple $300 piggyback device. If you're looking for a simple way to add some power and aren't looking for big gains, this is probably for you. I plan to add a catted downpipe next spring. That alone is good for around 20whp/25wtq. I feel like with that part installed, my M235 will have plenty of power for a very fun street car that is faster than 99% of the cars on the road all while delivering near stock like driveability while making an extra 40-45whp and 50wtq.

Last edited by XutvJet; 09-12-2018 at 10:59 AM..
Appreciate 8
      09-19-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
mrfattbill
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
4) If you have an Android device with Oreo, beware that the Dinan Sport app will not work thus you can't change the settings. I have to use an older Android device to change the settings.
The update to Pie returned my ability to connect to the Dinan Previously I was using an older device to make changes as well.

Good review.

Bill
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review OP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0