THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Drivetrain Malfunction-Stalling

07-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

Drivetrain Malfunction-Stalling

Hello all been having an issue with my M235 stalling when i first start the car and after a long sprinted drive. Also i have a-lot of gurgles and pops when in comfort mode (this only used to happen in sport). Terry suggested that i may have a 02 sensor problem, not knowing how flashing the cat readiness affects the 02 sensors is one of my questions. (mods and codes Below logs also linked) Thought it was a fuel rail issue so sensor was replaced as well.

Jb4 EWG connector
Enzo Tune
Catless DP
Chargpipe
Hd intercooler
Intake
NGK 97506 2 step colder plugs gapped to 0.018
Cold Start codded out
Readiness codded

Codes:
101F01

And

101F01

Logs: Map 5 https://datazap.me/u/wahooooman/map2...log=0&data=1-4

Map 2 : https://datazap.me/u/wahooooman/map2...ata=1-4&mark=1

Any clarification or help would br greatly appreciated Thanks
      07-18-2018, 12:31 AM   #2
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

I'm running BM3 OTS tune with the cold start delete and haven't had any stalling problems , although it runs like crap when it is cold out for about 30 seconds. That should affect the O2 sensors.

Also curious why you are running a JB4 on top of the Enzo tune? Is this an older Enzo tune? Enzo supports BM3 now. With your map 2 log it doesn't look like the JB4 is adding anything. Your map 5 log does have higher targets but you are not hitting them. Note that with the latest JB4 firmware you have to set the duty bias to 50 or you will underboost on absolute maps per the instructions on N54 tech.

Do you have the issues running map 0 or with the JB4 disconnected completely?
      07-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #3
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
I'm running BM3 OTS tune with the cold start delete and haven't had any stalling problems , although it runs like crap when it is cold out for about 30 seconds. That should affect the O2 sensors.

Also curious why you are running a JB4 on top of the Enzo tune? Is this an older Enzo tune? Enzo supports BM3 now. With your map 2 log it doesn't look like the JB4 is adding anything. Your map 5 log does have higher targets but you are not hitting them. Note that with the latest JB4 firmware you have to set the duty bias to 50 or you will underboost on absolute maps per the instructions on N54 tech.

Do you have the issues running map 0 or with the JB4 disconnected completely?
Thank you for the response, to be honest i am using the Jb4 just to read codes, log and have the displays as i had it before i went to Enzo. He flashed the car recently so it shouldn't be an older tune.

So far I have the issue with Jb4 on map 0, I will uninstall today and see if I have any issues, but sometimes I need to drive it for a day or two before it happens. what does happen every-time though is the struggle to start and a little RPM fluctuation on idle.

I guess my question is i know what the 02 sensors do but does the flash do anything to the normal operating procedure. If i had a bad 02 the car would run like crap even with the flash as it is still looking at mixtures ? sorry bit of a newb with this flash business.

Thanks for your help !
      07-18-2018, 11:52 PM   #4
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post
Thank you for the response, to be honest i am using the Jb4 just to read codes, log and have the displays as i had it before i went to Enzo. He flashed the car recently so it shouldn't be an older tune.

So far I have the issue with Jb4 on map 0, I will uninstall today and see if I have any issues, but sometimes I need to drive it for a day or two before it happens. what does happen every-time though is the struggle to start and a little RPM fluctuation on idle.

I guess my question is i know what the 02 sensors do but does the flash do anything to the normal operating procedure. If i had a bad 02 the car would run like crap even with the flash as it is still looking at mixtures ? sorry bit of a newb with this flash business.

Thanks for your help !
If you are having intermittent drivetrain fault problems check for loose connections. I had this a while back where it would show up quite a bit and then go away. Every now rarely I get one still on startup, but just turn off and restart. Seems a very occasional fault is just something that happens on occasion with the JB4.

If the idle problem remains, you might check with Enzo. It could be he has to adjust something in the idle tables. At any rate it shouldn't be stalling unless you have cold start delete and it is actually very cold. As for the codes are any of these sensor codes? Your AFR values looked OK and I would think these would be messed up if the sensor is bad.
      07-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you are having intermittent drivetrain fault problems check for loose connections. I had this a while back where it would show up quite a bit and then go away. Every now rarely I get one still on startup, but just turn off and restart. Seems a very occasional fault is just something that happens on occasion with the JB4.

If the idle problem remains, you might check with Enzo. It could be he has to adjust something in the idle tables. At any rate it shouldn't be stalling unless you have cold start delete and it is actually very cold. As for the codes are any of these sensor codes? Your AFR values looked OK and I would think these would be messed up if the sensor is bad.
Thanks for all your help so far! my duty bias was not set to 50, so i changed it and so far no issues (not sure if this would contribute to the drivetrain malfunction). I will drive it around a bunch and see if its gone for good.
      07-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

did you have under 1/4 tank of gas and get on it?

This will throw a CEL drivetrain every time for me on track.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post

What code do you get when you get the CEL ?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

no fault code, and it goes away on restart.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post

So I have been filling my car full since I read a post about this a while ago, I can say though if I have less than 1/4 and go over bumps I do get the same issue.
      08-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #10
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

I have been experiencing the same issue although I have no tunes or chips installed. it only happens when it is hot outside >85 degrees. The warnings have intermittently been: Lighting System malfunction, Cruise control malfunction, Drivetrain malfunction, and Chassis malfunction. Only the last 2 have caused the stalling.
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 04:32 AM   #11
R3LMV
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:

I've just had my JB4 installed on my M235, drove 50 miles fine and now I keep have the drivetrain malfunction issue, have you got round the issue completely now. Have you got a picture of your settings in map 2 please?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:15 PM   #12
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3LMV View Post
Quote:

I've just had my JB4 installed on my M235, drove 50 miles fine and now I keep have the drivetrain malfunction issue, have you got round the issue completely now. Have you got a picture of your settings in map 2 please?
I've been using map 6. Here are the settings from the last time I saved them. Am on a business trip now so not connected to the car and WMI settings are wrong.
Attached Images

09-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #13
beMtroubleYou
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C '18

Garage List
2018 M2C  [0.00]
how is your idle and do you smell gasoline on idle? Gas not exaust.

Might aswell just add this to anyone reading. Had the same issue. Car stuttered occasionally and hesitated on cold starts. Once it almost didnt fire up and the light up the DM. After restart it disappeared.

Did a couple WOT nothing strange, car pulls hard. Read codes. Nothing.

Then I started to notice hard idle and gas smell on idle. Took it to dealer. Valvetronic harness change. Then all codes appeared and pointed to valvetronic servo motor. After they changed that car didnt send codes but new vaules couldnt be coded into the valvetronic ECU(or ecu in valvetronic section). Then they changed the eccentric cam. And now car took in the new values, idles perfect and no stalling.

Point is, there could be hard malfunction that cant be read by codes / not saying this is your case. Just a heads up.

Last edited by beMtroubleYou; 09-16-2018 at 06:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #14
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post

Might aswell just add this to anyone reading. Had the same issue. Car stuttered occasionally and hesitated on cold starts. Once it almost didnt fire up and the light up the DM. After restart it disappeared.

Then I started to notice hard idle and gas smell on idle. Took it to dealer. Valvetronic harness change. Then all codes appeared and pointed to valvetronic servo motor. After they changed that car didnt send codes but new vaules couldnt be coded into the valvetronic ECU(or ecu in valvetronic section). Then they changed the eccentric cam. And now car took in the new values, idles perfect and no stalling.

Point is, there could be hard malfunction that cant be read by codes / not saying this is your case. Just a heads up.
Thanks for the heads up! I really hope this is not the issue, ill have to check to see if i smell gas... all i can really smell is not having Cats.
For some reason the malfunction stopped once Duty Bias was changed. No more Malfunction no more hard start/Stalling.
      09-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #15
R3LMV
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahooooman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beMtroubleYou View Post

Thanks for the heads up! I really hope this is not the issue, ill have to check to see if i smell gas... all i can really smell is not having Cats.
For some reason the malfunction stopped once Duty Bias was changed. No more Malfunction no more hard start/Stalling.
What did you set your duty bias to?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 10:15 AM   #16
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3LMV View Post
What did you set your duty bias to?
I set My duty Bias to 50 and i seem to be hitting boost targets now!