THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum RWD Will Be Around A Long Time

04-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

RWD Will Be Around A Long Time

The below is from today's Automotive News website....good news by and large!

BMW's tech chief ready to meet changing consumer demands

Luca Ciferri
Automotive News
April 10, 2015 - 12:15 am ET

Klaus Froehlich’s recent promotion to BMW Group r&d boss comes as the automaker shakes up its powertrain and platform lineups. Froehlich, who replaced Herbert Diess in December, discussed the group’s evolving platform and engine strategy with Automotive News Europe Editor Luca Ciferri and Germany Correspondent Christiaan Hetzner.

BMW just introduced its second front-wheel-drive model, the 2-series Grand Tourer. What will be your fwd/rwd mix by 2020?

Our customers will decide our mix, but because fwd models are mainly focused on Europe, rwd volumes will be dominant for a very long time.

Will BMW switch the next 1 series to fwd to reduce CO2 emissions?

The CO2 difference between rwd and fwd is minimal. What is more relevant is that customers want to have a sportier car. That will drive the decision we make at the end of the year. We have excellent architectures for both fwd and rwd, so I’m not worried.

The next X1 will be fwd, which will result in more interior space. Is there another big advantage?

Better proportions. It will look a bit bolder because of the shorter engine hood. The new X1 will really show that we can make fantastic cars with our fwd/four-wheel-drive architecture.

Is 4600mm the maximum length of vehicles based on this architecture?

At 4556mm, the 2-series Grand Tourer is now the longest application. We have some room to make smaller cars, lower cars and so on.

Will Mini use this new architecture to underpin what reports have called a 3300mm-long mini Mini?

The smallest car on this architecture is the current Mini three-door and I think the idea of having an even smaller car fits the brand. At the same time, to keep the length within 3.3 meters means cutting overhangs and results in a very small back seat. I do not know how much customer demand there would be for such a car, therefore I am not enthusiastic about a mini Mini.

What will BMW’s powertrain mix look like in 2021 once the EU’s tougher emission rules take full effect?

Our new gasoline and diesel units are part of a modular family so we can easily adjust output to market and customer requirements. Europeans like diesels and are not particularly keen on alternative drivetrains. Diesel will continue to play a dominant role in Europe as one of the enablers to achieve lower CO2 emissions. Some markets, such as the Netherlands and Norway, have done a good job encouraging electrification, but I don’t see any significant momentum boosting electrified vehicles Europewide.

As an engineer, what is the best technical solution to reduce CO2?

Maintaining BMW’s sheer driving pleasure is key because our cars are bought by customers not regulators. When we created the i subbrand we aimed to defy the common perception that electrified powertrains were unemotional. That’s why the i8 [performance coupe] was picked to be our first plug-in hybrid before offering this type of powertrain on the X5, 3 series and 2 series. Because responsiveness and directness are typical for BMW, we made sure our electric drivetrains could achieve this. The difficulty at the moment is battery power density. I personally don’t see a 7 series as a pure battery-powered vehicle. Although some other companies do models like that, I think electric powertrains need more battery power density before they are ready for larger cars. When you have 500 kilograms of batteries in a car, you feel them. Weight for me is a key factor.

Meet the r&d boss
NAME: Klaus Froehlich
TITLE: BMW Group Board Member in charge of Development
MAIN CHALLENGE: Making sure the essence of BMW's “sheer driving pleasure” is conveyed to customers regardless of which platform or powertrain they chose.

Will BMW offer plug-in diesels?

When we look at the overall volumes of plug-ins worldwide, 95 percent are sold in gasoline markets. So at the moment it really doesn’t make sense to offer a diesel plug-in to a European customer who is not prepared to pay thousands of euros for such a solution.

You have a partnership with Toyota on fuel cells. Toyota is about to launch the Mirai, its first model based on this technology. Was BMW left behind?

I initiated this cooperation in my former role as head for strategy. The main aim was to combine our research activities so we could learn more. Also, Toyota has been tasked with supporting a hydrogen infrastructure project from the Japanese government. I think that we have at least two or three additional industrialization steps before fuel cells become customer relevant on a broader scale

AUTOMOTIVE NEWS EUROPE E-MAGAZINE
This story is from the current issue of the Automotive News Europe monthly e-magazine, which is also available to read on our iPhone and iPad apps.You can download the new issue as well as past issues by clicking here.

You can reach Luca Ciferri at lciferri@crain.com.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
      04-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
gaijin
Mess Deck Commando
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Maintaining BMW’s sheer driving pleasure is key because our cars are bought by customers not regulators. When we created the i subbrand we aimed to defy the common perception that electrified powertrains were unemotional. That’s why the i8 [performance coupe] was picked to be our first plug-in hybrid before offering this type of powertrain on the X5, 3 series and 2 series. Because responsiveness and directness are typical for BMW, we made sure our electric drivetrains could achieve this. The difficulty at the moment is battery power density. I personally don’t see a 7 series as a pure battery-powered vehicle. Although some other companies do models like that, I think electric powertrains need more battery power density before they are ready for larger cars. When you have 500 kilograms of batteries in a car, you feel them. Weight for me is a key factor.
Great!
      04-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
When we created the i subbrand we aimed to defy the common perception that electrified powertrains were unemotional. That’s why the i8 [performance coupe] was picked to be our first plug-in hybrid before offering this type of powertrain on the X5, 3 series and 2 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I'm guessing by 2 series, he meant 2 series Active Tourer. A hybrid, practical, FWD BMW might sell decently here.
      04-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #5
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
BMW 223e Active Tourer. It arrives later this year.
      04-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #6
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
BMW 223e Active Tourer. It arrives later this year.
Hah! BMW give me a job or something...
      04-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #7
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Good news indeed!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

RWD will only be in 3 series and above I've been told by BMW once the 1 & 2 series are replaced with new in 3-4 years.
      04-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
RWD will only be in 3 series and above I've been told by BMW once the 1 & 2 series are replaced with new in 3-4 years.
I don't believe that this has been finalized yet one way or the other.

There was a rumor about 6 months ago that the next gen 2-series coupe, vert and grand coupe would remain RWD while the hatch/crossover/sedan? would go FWD. We'll see...

I will say, though, that my M235i will be my first and last 2-series if the next gen is FWD.
Appreciate 1
      04-11-2015, 07:25 PM   #10
och
Banned
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
2012 X5 xDrive50i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 X6M  [0.00]
2013 Suzuki Bouleva ...  [0.00]
They better not mess it up. I bought my daughter an X1 in December last year, and I'm glad I still got it while its RWD based. I would never buy a FWD based BMW, or any other FWD car for that matter.
Appreciate 0