THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Automatic Transmission Redline Question

04-06-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Avian
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2020 F44 BMW M235i Gran Coupe

Garage List
Exclamation Automatic Transmission Redline Question

Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before but there's no harm in asking it again.

On a "normal" BMW auto transmission not the sport auto trans, when you tap the vehicle into "Manual"/"Steptronic" and redline the vehicle without shifting even though you're in "Manual" it automatically shifts to the next gear, Great.

Out of curiosity is this bad for the engine, transmission etc etc I don't think BMW would programme the vehicle to get to the point that the vehicle would be damaging itself?

I'm not saying redlining the vehicle all day everyday, I just find the vehicle pulls a touch longer when having it in manual and letting it shift at redline (When having a drag race or just spirited driving).

Thanks for your responses in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:38 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avian View Post
Hi All,

I'm pretty sure this question has been asked before but there's no harm in asking it again.

On a "normal" BMW auto transmission not the sport auto trans, when you tap the vehicle into "Manual"/"Steptronic" and redline the vehicle without shifting even though you're in "Manual" it automatically shifts to the next gear, Great.

Out of curiosity is this bad for the engine, transmission etc etc I don't think BMW would programme the vehicle to get to the point that the vehicle would be damaging itself?

I'm not saying redlining the vehicle all day everyday, I just find the vehicle pulls a touch longer when having it in manual and letting it shift at redline (When having a drag race or just spirited driving).

Thanks for your responses in advance
I think you are right that BMW would design the auto upshift feature to protect the engine from bad stuff.... but then again I thought that BMW would design the HPFPs on the N54 not to blow, or the turbos not to rattle.

Basically, if you are doing it every day, you are playing with the devil. If you are not, I don't see how the risk is any different than the grandma who accidentally puts it in manual while drinking her tea and takes it to redline without noticing once and a while....

If there is a risk, its yours alone. But shifting yourself to me is the whole point of putting it into manual mode. Not only that but multiple Dynes prove that the HP drops off significantly after about 5800-6000 rpm, so I don't see why taking it to redline would be worth it in most cases... its not an NA M3 that loves to be at redline....

Just my 2 cents. Interested to hear what others have to say.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Its is not bad to the engine as long as it is shifting at reline.
But if you are keeping the RPM at redline without shifting then you are putting unnecessary stress to your engine

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0