THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Spray waxes/sealants

02-08-2024, 12:02 PM   #23
s_ribs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 535i xDrive M-Sport, E30

Garage List
I have been incredibly impressed at the Turtle Wax, Hybrid Solutions, Ceramic spray wax. My only complaint is it can be a bit tough to wipe off, but if you use a super light mist of water it wipes off easily. TW Seal 'n Shine is also good and even easier to apply. Impressive lifespan on each.

Have some nicer waxes and sealants from back in the day and I won't waste my time with them anymore. The modern spray on solutions are just so dang good.

PS. don't actually spray them on the car, you'll waste a lot of product and get it on adjacent panels/pieces. Spray directly to the microfiber towel, or better yet, the rag company application pad (the one that doesn't absorb product).
Appreciate 2
Condorll212.00
shimmy232350.00
      02-08-2024, 12:32 PM   #24
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I am still making my way through of the gallon of Optimum Instant Detailer. It's amazing. Will order another gallon for sure.
Their spray wax was one of the most incredible products I have ever used
Appreciate 1
P111572.00
      02-08-2024, 12:50 PM   #25
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Anyone got an opinion on P&S Bead Maker?

True story: had almost fifty bucks invested in a gallon of this stuff... bottle punctured during a move and made quite the mess. Needless to say, not much of that gallon made it onto my F30

I remember liking it but definitely didnt get to use enough to make an honest opinion and havent been able to bring myself to drop more nice coin on a new bottle. I think Im still punishing myself from my mistake.

https://psdetailproducts.com/collect...40268981862597

Last edited by sspade; 02-08-2024 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 03:41 PM   #26
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post

True story: had almost fifty bucks invested in a gallon of this stuff... bottle punctured during a move and made quite the mess. Needless to say, not much of that gallon made it onto my F30

I remember liking it but definitely didnt get to use enough to make an honest opinion and havent been able to bring myself to drop more nice coin on a new bottle. I think Im still punishing myself from my mistake.

Application process is nice with a slick feel. Decent drying aid. Doesn't last long at all in terms of protection.
Appreciate 1
sspade2466.00
      02-08-2024, 06:53 PM   #27
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

The most overhyped product in the world. There are probably at least a dozen better quick detailers or "drying aids". It's not horrible or anything, but there's better out there. What are you looking for, a drying aid / detail spray or a true spray sealant?
Appreciate 1
s_ribs37.50
      02-08-2024, 07:12 PM   #28
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Do they still make Optimum Opti-Seal? I'm almost out. It's been a long time since I bought this bottle.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 07:16 PM   #29
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Do they still make Optimum Opti-Seal? I'm almost out. It's been a long time since I bought this bottle.
They do, but it's actually crap.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:00 PM   #30
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
The most overhyped product in the world. There are probably at least a dozen better quick detailers or "drying aids". It's not horrible or anything, but there's better out there. What are you looking for, a drying aid / detail spray or a true spray sealant?
Truth be told, I do like a drying aid... something with high lubricity as I hand dry the vehicle. And of course, something that leaves a glossy hydrophobic film behind. I've used H2O Guard & Gloss by Adam's and thought that was a nice product. May go for it again.

Appreciate any other suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 09:07 PM   #31
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Truth be told, I do like a drying aid... something with high lubricity as I hand dry the vehicle. And of course, something that leaves a glossy hydrophobic film behind. I've used H2O Guard & Gloss by Adam's and thought that was a nice product. May go for it again.

Appreciate any other suggestions!
If that's what you're looking for, I recommend Armour Detail Amplify or Adam's Slick & Slide. Gyeon Ceramic Detailer is pretty good too.
Appreciate 1
sspade2466.00
      02-09-2024, 12:08 AM   #32
RussV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Competition XDrive

Jescar Ultra Lock is a highly rated paint sealant and easy to use.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
sspade2466.00
TboneS541043.00
      02-09-2024, 07:45 AM   #33
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
Adam's Slick & Slide
I've read about that, looks good. I saw it as a polymer spray, and wondered if it might work well on a car covered in Zaino?

I bought some ceramic stuff from them, the little bottle of graphene coating, to try a DIY this summer. Also got some "graphene detail spray" and "graphene ceramic spray coating" as well. The sprays having some but very little ceramic in them and hopefully won't be needing the steps of waiting for the rainbow thing, all that followed with multiple wipes. Hoping to use them something like a quick spray followed with a towel, to be used after drying the car. I'll plan to keep these with the car I put the ceramic on and not cross pollinate with the car that has the Zaino.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 12:49 PM   #34
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
I've read about that, looks good. I saw it as a polymer spray, and wondered if it might work well on a car covered in Zaino?

I bought some ceramic stuff from them, the little bottle of graphene coating, to try a DIY this summer. Also got some "graphene detail spray" and "graphene ceramic spray coating" as well. The sprays having some but very little ceramic in them and hopefully won't be needing the steps of waiting for the rainbow thing, all that followed with multiple wipes. Hoping to use them something like a quick spray followed with a towel, to be used after drying the car. I'll plan to keep these with the car I put the ceramic on and not cross pollinate with the car that has the Zaino.
Slick & Slide will probably work fine on Zaino, it's just a question of will it impair the hydrophobics at all. These sprays can do that on many coatings and sealants. It is very slick. Either way, no big deal because it wears off within a couple weeks probably if you get rain etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 01:15 PM   #35
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Slick & Slide is the same thing as beadmaker - polymer sealant.

I'm surprised you rate beadmaker so low, but then suggest something like slick N slide.

Maybe beadmaker is overhyped, but it's for a reason - it looks amazing. Decent durability. Cheap, easy to use (dilute it a bit).

I stopped using polymer sealants as they were attracting too much dust for me. Plus, I'm all in on coatings now.
Nettles761.00
      02-09-2024, 02:13 PM   #36
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post

I'm surprised you rate beadmaker so low, but then suggest something like slick N slide.

Maybe beadmaker is overhyped, but it's for a reason - it looks amazing. Decent durability. Cheap, easy to use (dilute it a bit).

I stopped using polymer sealants as they were attracting too much dust for me. Plus, I'm all in on coatings now.
On the topic of Bead Maker...if you understand what it's really meant to be used for and are an actual maintenance person then it's a great product. Personally I always want to use something after a wash for shine/protection/wipe up. It fits that bill perfectly, but otherwise yeah there's a lot that will beat it in every category.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 08:11 PM   #37
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:

On a coated car I like weaker products that don't change the repellency of the coating too much or for too long. I think Beadmaker is more of a longer lasting sealant than I want on a coated car. I want my coating's performance not the performance of Beadmaker or I would just not coat my car and use Beadmaker every week. Slick and Slide is the same thing as OG Drying Aid with scent and color. Armour Amplify I have actually tested does not impair the hydrophobics of a real coating and adds a very slick feel.

Last edited by chris719; 02-09-2024 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 07:34 AM   #38
Condorll
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_ribs View Post
I have been incredibly impressed at the Turtle Wax, Hybrid Solutions, Ceramic spray wax. My only complaint is it can be a bit tough to wipe off, but if you use a super light mist of water it wipes off easily. TW Seal 'n Shine is also good and even easier to apply. Impressive lifespan on each.

Have some nicer waxes and sealants from back in the day and I won't waste my time with them anymore. The modern spray on solutions are just so dang good.

PS. don't actually spray them on the car, you'll waste a lot of product and get it on adjacent panels/pieces. Spray directly to the microfiber towel, or better yet, the rag company application pad (the one that doesn't absorb product).
I have a 3/4 bottle of Collinite 845 that I don't use anymore. It was one of the best in the day. The Griots 3 in 1 ceramic spray is so easy to use and lasts longer.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 10:50 AM   #39
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On a coated car I like weaker products that don't change the repellency of the coating too much or for too long. I think Beadmaker is more of a longer lasting sealant than I want on a coated car. I want my coating's performance not the performance of Beadmaker or I would just not coat my car and use Beadmaker every week. Slick and Slide is the same thing as OG Drying Aid with scent and color. Armour Amplify I have actually tested does not impair the hydrophobics of a real coating and adds a very slick feel.
I see. I go back and forth on topping a coating or not. Have you tried something like ech20 or mckees? I use Wolfgang sio2 + cure, diluted as my topper. No extra dust attraction. And only seems to enhance existing coating.
      02-10-2024, 01:24 PM   #40
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I go back and forth on topping a coating or not.
I've been doing the same, in more of a future tense. 2 cars currently with Zaino, but 1 will probably sell soon and be replaced. I'll put ceramic on it and then also trying to learn what I should do with it after.

I get leaving the coating alone to do its job, but if I can spray something on occasionally that actually boosts its thickness or durability a little at a time, I'm all for it. I know you can't exactly layer ceramic and make it "thick" but if there's a spray in existence that helps the original coating last a little longer, I'll use it. Doesn't really seem to work that way?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 01:55 PM   #41
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep

I look at it like- I don't think it's possible to improve the coating when it's new, but after months/year, I think a spray could fill in where the coating has diminished? Idk, I'm not a chemist.
chris7197334.00
      02-10-2024, 02:34 PM   #42
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
I look at it like- I don't think it's possible to improve the coating when it's new, but after months/year, I think a spray could fill in where the coating has diminished? Idk, I'm not a chemist.
This is exactly where I am and you're essentially correct. Like I stated on another forum, modern products such as professional ceramic coatings really only allow people to go longer at neglecting their vehicles.

Otherwise, I like to perform a minor correction each year via clay bar and buffing with a machine glaze or such as Sonax Profiline Final. No product can make your vehicle look better than a properly polished surface. So for me, it is counter productive to go with a long term professional ceramic coating because it does not allow you to make corrections in keeping your vehicle looking it's best. You're still going to experience some microscopic marring over time even with a ceramic coating. So, long term coatings only make sense for people who have no desire in maintaining a vehicles finish.

Anyhow, I'm looking to go with Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray which is good for around 1 year. I'll then look to use their SiO2 Silica Spray on occasion and/or their si02 car paint sealant.

Good luck,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 02-10-2024 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2024, 03:17 PM   #43
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph III View Post
... modern products such as professional ceramic coatings really only allow people to go longer at neglecting their vehicles.
Interesting way to look at it. In a good way I mean, thought provoking.

I take great care of my cars, I don't wash them weekly but I do wash them quite a few times a year, always by hand, and often followed up with a "wax" (Zaino specifically, wax being a generic verb). If I move to ceramic, I don't really need a 7 or whatever year coating - I don't mind doing something annually if it actually lasts at least that full year until I do it again. I can do some touch-up / boosting along the way of course.

Hmm.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 07:48 PM   #44
Ralph III
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 650i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Interesting way to look at it. In a good way I mean, thought provoking.

I take great care of my cars, I don't wash them weekly but I do wash them quite a few times a year, always by hand, and often followed up with a "wax" (Zaino specifically, wax being a generic verb). If I move to ceramic, I don't really need a 7 or whatever year coating - I don't mind doing something annually if it actually lasts at least that full year until I do it again. I can do some touch-up / boosting along the way of course.

Hmm.
That's precisely what I am saying Tracer. I've used Wolfgang Paint Sealant for years and it's a phenomenal product. I'm sure there are other comparable products others may suggest, otherwise Wolfgang has some Si02 products that are exactly what I am looking for and such that gets excellent reviews.

I'm probably going to be applying their Uber Ceramic Spray as my base. It's supposed to last up to one year. I'll then use their Si02 Silica Spray on occasion after a wash in order to maintain the paint. Dmitry's Garage found the Silica Spray to be very pretty and one of the most durable sprays made. It can be used as a topper and as often as you desire. These products are supposed to be very easy to apply.

FYI, they also offer a professional type ceramic coating named Profi. It's supposed to last up to 3 years which is longer than I personally desire.

My plan is to make a minor paint correction every year which is what I've always done. I'll clay the vehicle and then buff it with Sonax Profiline Final or Meguiars M03 machine glaze in getting the best shine out of the finish. I'll then apply the Si02 products to maintain that finish for the year.

God Bless,
Ralph

Last edited by Ralph III; 02-10-2024 at 07:53 PM..
Appreciate 0