THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) windshield wipers skipping after ceramic coat

07-19-2023, 11:14 PM   #1
Zingaling18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Stage 1 BM3 F30 N20 Sport

windshield wipers skipping after ceramic coat

Anyone experience wipers skipping after applying ceramic coating on windshield?
Appreciate 1
      07-19-2023, 11:53 PM   #2
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I had it happened to me a few times. Especially when i was in
a hurry applying the coating.
I believe the windshield wipers might skip/shudder because of the coating none-uniformity. You either had high and low spots on the windshield. You could try to polish the windshield and reapply in a more uniform fashion (cross-hatch pattern).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 12:02 AM   #3
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

No issues with windshield wipers skipping on a ceramic coated windshield on two cars. I do have Exoshield applied to the windshield and then ceramic on top of that.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 02:36 AM   #4
Zingaling18
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I had it happened to me a few times. Especially when i was in
a hurry applying the coating.
I believe the windshield wipers might skip/shudder because of the coating none-uniformity. You either had high and low spots on the windshield. You could try to polish the windshield and reapply in a more uniform fashion (cross-hatch pattern).
Ahh that sucks, looks like I have to buy another bottle of coating and redo it.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 02:49 AM   #5
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
You either had high and low spots on the windshield.
Huh? Ceramic coatings are measured in the micrometers, there’d be more variance in the surface of the wipers than a ceramic coating.
Appreciate 1
TboneS541043.00
      07-20-2023, 09:13 AM   #6
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Huh? Ceramic coatings are measured in the micrometers, there’d be more variance in the surface of the wipers than a ceramic coating.
Yes, the coating is actually in sub microns (nano) but it will change the characteristics of the glass and cause the wiper to skip.
Sure, wiper has more variance but it is more compliance. Also, rhe wiper will skip in various area if it is due to the wiper. The problem usually happen in the same areas of the windshield.
I am just giving the OP my experiences. It actually drove me crazy and changed several wipers and got the same result.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 04:29 PM   #7
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Put a light layer of coating on the wiper blade.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2023, 07:40 PM   #8
Zingaling18
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Yea I also read this somewhere online so I will try this before polishing off the coating from the windshield and recoating. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 07:21 AM   #9
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Call me crazy but I have ceramic on my car and wheels but never felt the need to do the windshield.

Does it really make that big a difference and do you also put it on the side and rear glass??
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 08:39 AM   #10
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Guy View Post
Call me crazy but I have ceramic on my car and wheels but never felt the need to do the windshield.

Does it really make that big a difference and do you also put it on the side and rear glass??
"Ceramic" is basically the new buzz world (sometime hype) for any coating that contained Silicon Dioxide (SiO2). The another trendy marking hype is Graphene.
Yes, using window coating with Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) will help with water beading off the windshield. Basically they are the new "Rain-X".
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 08:48 AM   #11
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
"Ceramic" is basically the new buzz world (sometime hype) for any coating that contained Silicon Dioxide (SiO2). The another trendy marking hype is Graphene.
Yes, using window coating with Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) will help with water beading off the windshield. Basically they are the new "Rain-X".
Years ago I used Rain-X on my windshield and also at home on my glass shower doors. It was an ok product but I wasn't blown away. Is a Silicon Dioxide coating on the glass make a major difference?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 08:56 AM   #12
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Years ago I used Rain-X on my windshield and also at home on my glass shower doors. It was an ok product but I wasn't blown away. Is a Silicon Dioxide coating on the glass make a major difference?
Rain-X leaves a hazy film after applied.
Glass coatings with Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) usually crystal clear after applied.
Based on my personal experiences, it makes a big difference when the rain isn't that hard and I don't like to have the wiper dragging across the windshield. When the rain is heavier, the water mostly bead off the glass. It is also last much longer than the typical materials like Rain-X.
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2023, 08:57 AM   #13
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Rain-X leaves a hazy film after applied.
Glass coatings with Silicon Dioxide (SiO2) usually crystal clear after applied.
Based on my personal experiences, it makes a big difference when the rain isn't that hard and I don't like to have the wiper dragging across the windshield. When the rain is heavier, the water mostly bead off the glass. It is also last much longer than the typical materials like Rain-X.
Is there a particular brand that you like using and recommend?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 09:09 AM   #14
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Is there a particular brand that you like using and recommend?
I am using Kamikaze Intenso and really like it (a bit hard to apply). They have the newer Kamikaze Window Coat so I might try that once I am out of Intenso. They are more expensive but worth it for me.
My buddy is using Gyeon Product and also happy with it.
I am sure there are many products out there and they're most likely performing equally OK. Just like Paint Coatings, prepping and applying will determine how well the coat will work and last.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 09:13 AM   #15
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I am using Kamikaze Intenso and really like it (a bit hard to apply). They have the newer Kamikaze Window Coat so I might try that once I am out of Intenso. They are more expensive but worth it for me.
My buddy is using Gyeon Product and also happy with it.
I am sure there are many products out there and they're most likely performing equally OK. Just like Paint Coatings, prepping and applying will determine how well the coat will work and last.
When you say it is hard to apply, please elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2023, 09:44 AM   #16
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
When you say it is hard to apply, please elaborate.
I guess it is more user's errors as I didn't apply evenly and had similar issues as the OP. Now, I am more careful and taking my times to ensure even coverage. Plus don't apply to hot windshield (or out in the sun).
Also, it is bit harder to remove (probably indicates that the coating is bonding well) but my buddy showed me a trick where I slightly mist the towel and the excess coating come right off.
Check out Esoteric, one of my favorite cars care/detailing Channel.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2023, 01:27 AM   #17
Zingaling18
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess it is more user's errors as I didn't apply evenly and had similar issues as the OP. Now, I am more careful and taking my times to ensure even coverage. Plus don't apply to hot windshield (or out in the sun).
Also, it is bit harder to remove (probably indicates that the coating is bonding well) but my buddy showed me a trick where I slightly mist the towel and the excess coating come right off.
Check out Esoteric, one of my favorite cars care/detailing Channel.
Applying a light coating to the wipers fixed my issue. Not sure what the issue is but I think it’s due to the coating being more grabby against the wiper blades.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      07-24-2023, 09:29 AM   #18
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zingaling18 View Post
Applying a light coating to the wipers fixed my issue. Not sure what the issue is but I think it’s due to the coating being more grabby against the wiper blades.
I am glad you eliminated the issue without having to do over. Yes, I forgot to mention that coating the wiper blades help. However, I noticed that the blades became a bit too slippery and sometimes not effective at wiping off contamination. IMHO, the rubber blades need a bit of "fiction" to effectively clean the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 05:00 PM   #19
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
All my cars have coated windshields and I recently drove a new car (which I hadn't coated yet) in a torrential downpour and it was like driving blind in comparison. Yes, it makes a huge difference.

I coated my shower doors 3 years ago and the coating also helps tremendously. I'll wipe them down every few months and that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2023, 05:24 PM   #20
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

The biggest advantage is actual visibility through the glass. With the coating, the glass doesn't get flooded with fluttering water film, but all the rain drops condense into a small, individual droplets. This will provide significantly better visibility through every window at any precipitation intensity and/or road speed. Wiper intensity requirement is also reduced but that is a subjective variable.

Like most ceramic paint coatings, window coatings are tacky. If you polish a paint or glass and then wipe it with a dry towel, it is usually smoother then after coating. This increased interface friction is what induces wiper judder. As the interface friction has many variables like wiping angle, rubber friction, glass/coating friction, wetting agents, wiper arm speed, surface contamination and so on, it is not a one solution fits all scenario.

You cant modify coating friction in non destructive way, but you can modify wiper friction in different ways. New wipers are always smoother in the beginning of their life, but you can also coat them with the coating product as you have done. I personally prefer Carpro PERL to decrease interface friction. Not only does it do a great job to reduce friction, but it also rejuvinates the rubber and makes it more pliable. I have a feeling that coatings do the opposite and benefits are short lived.

Just make sure you dont put paint ceramics on your windshield unless it is clearly stated to be compatible.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 02:39 PM   #21
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
This.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 09:07 PM   #22
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Some glass coatings will cause skipping in some environments. There is a tradeoff in the chemistry between slickness and durability for a glass coating. The more durable and hydrophobic glass a coating tends to be, the tackier it is in general. That tackiness contributes to skipping in some situations. My wipers skip sometimes with the coating I used but mostly when dry or there is very little moisture on the windshield. There are glass coatings that won't do this at all, but they tend to be less durable on the whole or at least will lose that slickness over time. You may or may not have luck coating the blade.
Appreciate 0