THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) car cleaning products

07-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #1
Axylus
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 (waiting)

car cleaning products

Just curious as to what everyone is using to wash their g87 as I’m awaiting mine.

Currently use Meguiars deep crystal for the exterior and Meguiars ultimate all wheel tire cleaner for the rims and tires.

Of note, I don’t plan on ppf’ing, waxing, or ceramic coating the car as I’m not big on detailing.

Any thoughts on what I use and what you all use to keep your cars clean looking is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 12:59 PM   #2
T_U_D
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI

I use Gyeon and CarPro exclusively.

In my opinion anything that can be purchased via Pep Boys, AutoZone, O’Reilly’s, Advanced Auto, and Walmart is typically subpar.
Appreciate 3
Game7408.50
cmgbk752631.50
      07-06-2023, 01:06 PM   #3
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

I just decided to go "all in" on Adams only because they offer a constant 25% vet discount. Apparently there's a cult surrounding them too, but I'm driven purely by the discount.
      07-06-2023, 01:47 PM   #4
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

i'd say it depends on color. I have gray/silver cars which require minimal upkeep. If you have black, its a full time job to maintain.

i use chemical guys citrus wash
dr. beasley's matte car wash for satin/frozen wheels
chemical guys v07 for wax
meguiars quick detailer for touch ups.

i haven't found a tire shine that doesn't fling off doing 100+ so i dont use them. Just scrub the sidewall with a brush.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 02:03 PM   #5
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
I tend to go with Chemical Guys and Auto Finnesse, easy to use and leaves a good mark free finish

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 02:08 PM   #6
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_U_D View Post
I use Gyeon and CarPro exclusively.

In my opinion anything that can be purchased via Pep Boys, AutoZone, O’Reilly’s, Advanced Auto, and Walmart is typically subpar.
100% same.

Was a CarPro fanboy but Gyeon has swayed me over. I should be ceramic coating my car tomorrow with Gyeon Mohs.
      07-06-2023, 03:23 PM   #7
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Incredible work here by Gyeon. Lots of great detailing tips too …

Appreciate 1
Game7408.50
      07-06-2023, 03:25 PM   #8
Ravenseal
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 6MT

I don't personally wash my car, but Gtechniq or CarPro is what I'd use otherwise per recommendations. I use Griot's Garage for interior and exterior detailing when necessary.

Retired: 2022 M240i xDrive | 2021 Audi RS5 | 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT | 2016 428i GC | 2011 BMW 335is
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 03:51 PM   #9
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

ONR for initial dwell and rinse before starting the wash.

Chemical Guys wash.

Chemical Guys VRP tire dressing.

Light misting of ONR again used as a drying aid.

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro Graphene Flex Wax to protect the paint. It's not wax per se but rather a sealant. Stuff is amazing, just need to top it off once every 4~6 months and it'll last forever.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #10
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
I just decided to go "all in" on Adams only because they offer a constant 25% vet discount. Apparently there's a cult surrounding them too, but I'm driven purely by the discount.
I use Adams as well, how about breaking me off a piece of that discount Officer Hemi.
Appreciate 2
JustinHEMI7445.00
M2siast5876.00
      07-06-2023, 03:53 PM   #11
cmgbk75
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87, G26, E46, Mk6 5K

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.66]
2022 i4 40  [8.33]
2001 325Cic  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post

Chemical Guys wash.

Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Pro Graphene Flex Wax to protect the paint. It's not wax per se but rather a sealant. Stuff is amazing, just need to top it off once every 4~6 months and it'll last forever.
Sounds like a recipe from Breaking Bad. How long did it take to master that formula?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 04:01 PM   #12
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgbk75 View Post
Sounds like a recipe from Breaking Bad. How long did it take to master that formula?
Let's just say I've tried many, many, many products over the years and found these to work the best for my needs. They're also fairly inexpensive. I also don't like that ceramic coatings are prone to water spots and need a 'topper' to prevent them from etching in which is counterintuitive IMO. So, I need to apply another product to protect the product that I applied to protect the paint and it costs much more than a sealant? Forgot that noise.
Appreciate 2
M2siast5876.00
cmgbk752631.50
      07-06-2023, 08:30 PM   #13
JamnF87
HEA Spec Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW G87, Rubicon 392, BMW G07

I religiously wash my car every two weeks at least. I have used Adams Graphene Ceramic coating on mine, so I am currently using the Adams Graphene Car Shampoo in a foam cannon / two bucket method. With the ceramic coating there is no further need for wax, clay bar, or paint sealants - I mist it with the Adams graphene booster as a drying lubricant after I dry with a leaf blower.

I’m exploring the rinseless wash options for the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 08:33 PM   #14
rons e92
60-130 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

I made a video on my process and the products I use if you're interested. I don't get the G87 until Saturday, but I'll follow the same process as my G42.

Appreciate 1
      07-07-2023, 01:47 AM   #15
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Optimum No Rinse (ONR).
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 08:17 AM   #16
txmav
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i (sold); 2022 X5; 2022 M2

There are a lot of really good suggestions at the following: https://g87.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=954. It can be a little overwhelming.

For ease, I am thinking about the following (it comes from a very knowledgeable member of that message board):

The minimum viable safe carwash setup is:
• De-ionized water from the grocery store
• High quality "rinseless" wash (e.g., ONR, McKees, P&S)
• Good wash media, i.e., chenille mitts
• Mister / sprayer: could be a cheap spray bottle from Despot, or a great pump sprayer like a Marolex, or a Hydroshot, ideally with the "shower" watering wand that comes on the low power versions
• High quality microfiber drying towel or blower
Unless the car is super dirty, i.e., caked on mud from off-roading, then the process is pretty simple and can be done anywhere without access to running water or a hose:
1. Spray down the car with rinseless solution (de-i water + RW)
2. Use the Garry Dean Method, working panel by panel
3. Dry with a good drying towel or a blower
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 11:23 AM   #17
Axylus
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Chemical Guys wash.

Any short or long-term hazards for the car when using the Turtle Wax? I’m not a detailer, and I look to remain a beginner washer. I’m not sure how to buff the car or anything if there are permanent stains from the wax, though I understand you referenced it as a sealant here
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 11:44 AM   #18
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axylus View Post
Any short or long-term hazards for the car when using the Turtle Wax? I’m not a detailer, and I look to remain a beginner washer. I’m not sure how to buff the car or anything if there are permanent stains from the wax, though I understand you referenced it as a sealant here
It's a really tough sealant so you need to buff it according to the directions or you may get streaks. I wouldn't let that intimidate you. Just apply the product one section at a time that's roughly 2' x 2' and immediately buff it off. Once you're done with the whole car that will be what's considered your 'base coat'. The beauty of it is you can maintain it by applying a second coat after the car has been washed and still while wet. There are a million videos on how to use it, check them out.

The long lasting durability of the product, its relative ease of use, insane gloss level and inexpensive price won me over. I've been using it for nearly three years. I still have my original base coat that I applied to my daily back in 2020 and all I've done to maintain it is apply another coat every 4~6 months. All I do to apply another coat is while the car is wet right after a wash, I spray one panel at a time and then immediately rinse it off. Literally rinse and repeat the entire car and then dry it off. To this day water still beads like crazy.
Appreciate 1
Axylus42.00
      07-07-2023, 11:52 AM   #19
Axylus
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's a really tough sealant so you need to buff it according to the directions or you may get streaks. I wouldn't let that intimidate you. Just apply the product one section at a time that's roughly 2' x 2' and immediately buff it off. Once you're done with the whole car that will be what's considered your 'base coat'. The beauty of it is you can maintain it by applying a second coat after the car has been washed and still while wet. There are a million videos on how to use it, check them out.

The long lasting durability of the product, its relative ease of use, insane gloss level and inexpensive price won me over. I've been using it for nearly three years. I still have my original base coat that I applied to my daily back in 2020 and all I've done to maintain it is apply another coat every 4~6 months. All I do to apply another coat is while the car is wet right after a wash, I spray one panel at a time and then immediately rinse it off. Literally rinse and repeat the entire car and then dry it off. To this day water still beads like crazy.
Thanks for your response. Can you use my same question for the Turtle wax, but apply it for the ONB drying aid or drying aids in general? Any concerns or procedures there?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 12:12 PM   #20
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your response. Can you use my same question for the Turtle wax, but apply it for the ONB drying aid or drying aids in general? Any concerns or procedures there?
Sounds like you might be concerned these products can damage the paint somehow or leave behind residue. If that's what you're getting at they do not. The Turtle Wax sealant dries clear but as I said you just need to follow the directions and do one section at a time to avoid high spots. ONR is a rinseless car wash that can be used for many things. Both products are safe to use even for a beginner. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

I actually use ONR to wash my car in the garage during winter. When I can actually wash my car outside, I use ONR as a pre-wash to get off any contaminants before I start a traditional wash. I spray the car with ONR, let it dwell for a 2~3m and then rinse it off. I then proceed to wash the car normally. When done washing and while the car is still wet, I lightly mist it again with ONR and then immediately dry it like you normally would. ONR acts as a lubricant while drying to prevent any micro scratches, swirls marks, etc. It also prevents water spots and doesn't leave behind residue. Super safe stuff.
Appreciate 1
Axylus42.00
      07-07-2023, 12:19 PM   #21
Axylus
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sounds like you might be concerned these products can damage the paint somehow or leave behind residue. If that's what you're getting at they do not. The Turtle Wax sealant dries clear but as I said you just need to follow the directions and do one section at a time to avoid high spots. ONR is a rinseless car wash that can be used for many things. Both products are safe to use even for a beginner. Just follow the directions and you'll be fine.

I actually use ONR to wash my car in the garage during winter. When I can actually wash my car outside, I use ONR as a pre-wash to get off any contaminants before I start a traditional wash. I spray the car with ONR, let it dwell for a 2~3m and then rinse it off. I then proceed to wash the car normally. When done washing and while the car is still wet, I lightly mist it again with ONR and then immediately dry it like you normally would. ONR acts as a lubricant while drying to prevent any micro scratches, swirls marks, etc. It also prevents water spots and doesn't leave behind residue. Super safe stuff.
I really do appreciate your response as this is the exact answer I’m looking for!!!

After you applied your base coat of turtle, did you apply one more coating immediately after, or wait 4-6 months
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 12:24 PM   #22
Tag
this is the way
Rep

Quote:
I really do appreciate your response as this is the exact answer I’m looking for!!!

After you applied your base coat of turtle, did you apply one more coating immediately after, or wait 4-6 months
I did do a second coat but not until the following day. I don’t remember how long you have to wait for the base coat to cure before applying another, check the directions.
Appreciate 1
Axylus42.00