THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior Trim

08-07-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior Trim

Today I decided to upgrade my interior trim from aluminum to carbon fiber without paying the expensive price tag for the real M performance CF interior trim. I removed, wrapped, and re-installed all of the interior trim. Everything was wrapped in Vvivid Dry Carbon Fiber. The interior trim removal tools, wrapping tools, and wrap cost me about $35. Let me know what you guys think!
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      08-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #2
714_2er
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 AW M235i

Looks pretty damn good.
What part(s) did you find hardest to wrap and why?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #3
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 714_2er View Post
Looks pretty damn good.
What part(s) did you find hardest to wrap and why?
The gear selector was probably the most difficult to wrap because of how curved and small the surface is. Also, the back of the trim had to have almost zero extra wrap, otherwise it would not fit properly. That piece alone took almost an hour and a half.

The passenger side dash/vent trim was by far the most difficult to remove because there were so many clips. Only patience and time can get you through removing that piece lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:33 PM   #4
stevenvillatoro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 M240i, Estoril Blue

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilax59 View Post
Let me know what you guys think!
Extremely impressive, really. Nice work!!

'19 MX-5 Miata GT-S soft top
Past BMWs: two '57 Isetta 300s, '70 1600, '72 Bavaria, '78 320i, '18 M240i
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 10:37 PM   #5
wntrsnowg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Nice work but I'm most impressed of your quality of work on the shift knob. Super close macro shots you can def tell its a wrap but from a distance it looks great
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 01:33 AM   #6
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
The gear selector was probably the most difficult to wrap because of how curved and small the surface is. Also, the back of the trim had to have almost zero extra wrap, otherwise it would not fit properly. That piece alone took almost an hour and a half.

The passenger side dash/vent trim was by far the most difficult to remove because there were so many clips. Only patience and time can get you through removing that piece lol.
I did everything except the gear selector and the surrounding piece at the base. With the base, did you have any difficulties? I started wrapping mine and gave up because it was taking too long to get it cut out with a exacto knife. What method did you used for yours? Also, did you remove the gear selector to wrap?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
Quote:

I did everything except the gear selector and the surrounding piece at the base. With the base, did you have any difficulties? I started wrapping mine and gave up because it was taking too long to get it cut out with a exacto knife. What method did you used for yours? Also, did you remove the gear selector to wrap?
I tried wrapping the gear selector without removing it and there were some crease marks and it did not look good. Also, when the inside of my car got hot really hot, the wrap started peeling up a little bit off the sides, so I decided to remove the gear selector trim and do it the right way. It turned out much, much better; the edges of cleaner and nothing peels off.
      08-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #8
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I tried wrapping the gear selector without removing the trim at first and I did not turn out well. Even with cutting the edges really well, over time the wrap began creasing and peeling off due to the heat. I decided to remove the trim and wrap it that way, and it came out much better. No creasing or peeling and the she's look much better tucked under the trim. Definitely worth the time and effort to wrap it by removing the trim.
      08-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #9
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]

Quote:
Quote:

I tried wrapping the gear selector without removing the trim at first and I did not turn out well. Even with cutting the edges really well, over time the wrap began creasing and peeling off due to the heat. I decided to remove the trim and wrap it that way, and it came out much better. No creasing or peeling and the she's look much better tucked under the trim. Definitely worth the time and effort to wrap it by removing the trim.
      08-08-2018, 10:06 AM   #10
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Sorry for the extra posts, phone was glitching out
      08-09-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i THP M-Sport Tech Lig

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Quote:
Hey just curious if this (
) is the same process for removing the gear selector? I noticed one of the comments mentioned that they couldn't reuse the sticky adhesive once they removed the glass to get access to the screw and remove the trim. Did you have to get some double sided tape or were you able to reuse it?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:47 PM   #12
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRMIAGI View Post
Quote:
Hey just curious if this (
) is the same process for removing the gear selector? I noticed one of the comments mentioned that they couldn't reuse the sticky adhesive once they removed the glass to get access to the screw and remove the trim. Did you have to get some double sided tape or were you able to reuse it?
Yeah that's the video I used to remove the gear selector trim and the base below it. So far, there are no issues with the adhesive or the glass part having difficulty sticking. Time will tell, but I suspect that since it was removed I will eventually have to put some double sided tape.
      08-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #13
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Okay awesome thanks for the feedback! I planned on just reusing mine too.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #14
saadams95
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2020 F87 M2C

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
CF wrap

Quote:
Everything was wrapped in Vvivid Dry Carbon Fiber. The interior trim removal tools, wrapping tools, and wrap cost me about $35. Let me know what you guys think!
Where did you purchase your CF wrap?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #15
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadams95 View Post
Quote:
Everything was wrapped in Vvivid Dry Carbon Fiber. The interior trim removal tools, wrapping tools, and wrap cost me about $35. Let me know what you guys think!
Not OP, but I got mine on Amazon. I believe it was $13 for a 1.5x6ft roll of the vvivid dry carbon fiber vinyl wrap. And $9 for my trim removal tool kit.
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #16
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
So far I've done the silver trim for the steering wheel, this is my favorite. Then my right and left side vents. And the entire year shifter bottom piece. I plan on doing the gear shifter itself, the middle piece next to it, and the door handles. I also have an alcantara wheel wrap on the way and a blue start stop button. can't wait to get it all installed!

Exterior mods I'm planning on getting the m style mirror caps with the wing, black grille, PSM spoiler, black wheels, front reflector delete, dual exhaust diffuser, and muffler delete.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:08 AM   #17
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
So far I've done the silver trim for the steering wheel, this is my favorite. Then my right and left side vents. And the entire year shifter bottom piece. I plan on doing the gear shifter itself, the middle piece next to it, and the door handles. I also have an alcantara wheel wrap on the way and a blue start stop button. can't wait to get it all installed!

Exterior mods I'm planning on getting the m style mirror caps with the wing, black grille, PSM spoiler, black wheels, front reflector delete, dual exhaust diffuser, and muffler delete.
Looks good! How did you wrap your steering wheel? Did you remove the airbag and everything or did you just pop out the piece of trim?
      08-12-2018, 01:09 AM   #18
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Not OP, but I got mine on Amazon. I believe it was $13 for a 1.5x6ft roll of the vvivid dry carbon fiber vinyl wrap. And $9 for my trim removal tool kit.
Yeah this is what I used too. The 5ft x 1.5ft is more then enough for the whole interior plus some extra if you mess up.
      08-12-2018, 08:09 AM   #19
saadams95
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Does this appear to be it? It's 1 ft x 5 ft. Not 1.5 ft. Will this still work and be plenty for interior? How about the trim tool kit? Looks like this set will work? More worried about the correct CF.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #20
trilax59
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Does this appear to be it? It's 1 ft x 5 ft. Not 1.5 ft. Will this still work and be plenty for interior? How about the trim tool kit? Looks like this set will work? More worried about the correct CF.
Yeah that's the trim removal kit I used. The wrap I used was 1.5 ft x 5 ft, so they might have removed that one. I would rather do the 3 ft x 5 ft because it will allow you to wrap everything with the carbon fiber going in the same direction. If I could do it over again, I would have done that.
      08-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #21
MRMIAGI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228I  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah that's exactly what I used. Looking back I would get a bigger roll, the sole reason being if you want all the carbon fiber weave to be going in the same direction you need more material.

The stuff is cheap so yeah I wish I would've ordered a bit more, I think they might have one that's a 2ft by 6ft or bigger. Just get more than you need you'll be happy.

I just filmed a video last night of me doing the middle trim with the idrive controller. I'll post it on here once it's done.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2018, 10:28 AM   #22
saadams95
Banned
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah that's the trim removal kit I used. The wrap I used was 1.5 ft x 5 ft, so they might have removed that one. I would rather do the 3 ft x 5 ft because it will allow you to wrap everything with the carbon fiber going in the same direction. If I could do it over again, I would have done that.
Are you able to look back at your amazon order and see what exact wrap name you used? Or a like "part number" ?
Appreciate 0