THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Airconditioner problem

03-12-2015, 05:08 AM   #1
ddmyte
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Airconditioner problem

Hi All,
Wondered if any of you have had any issues with the air-conditioner on your cars. Mine seems to have a mind of it's own. I don't use the air-conditioner until I have to - prefer the windows down, the sunroof tilted up and the ventilation fan blowing supposedly fresh air (no green air-con lights on at all). On numerous occasions cold air blows out when the air-conditioner is not switched on. This often happens the first time I use the car during the day, I have even done the short 2km or so trip to the local shops and returned to the car to see the water from the air-con on the ground and then got in and returned home without the air-con ever turning off (even though it's not on).
As a general rule it does usually stop after a couple of Kms but I still can't work out why it comes on at all. Anyone else have any experience of this? I don't use the auto ventilation timer stuff on the car - Am I maybe missing a "magic" setting somewhere? The service department at the dealers where I bought the vehicle are just a bunch of arrogant @#$%* who know nothing about the cars they sell (even said the reason why the navigation system didn't have speed camera warnings and red light camera warnings was because it was illegal in Australia ), the technicians are great but the problem has to "present" itself before they can fix it.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 07:54 AM   #2
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

I'm in the US and this happens to me. I turn the A/C off before exiting the car. When I return the A/C is still off (no green light above the A/C button) but the car blows cold air for a few miles.

It's still winter here, but last summer more than once I got in the car at the end of the work day, was greeted by cold air (even with the A/C supposedly off), and drove off. A few miles later I was wondering why it was so hot in the car before realizing that the A/C was off.

No clue why it happens.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 08:03 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Didn't someone post indirectly about this - that as designed the A/C components will function (maybe every time the engine is run) to circulate the oil to keep the A/C components lubricated.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 05:23 PM   #4
ddmyte
Australia
Rep

Hi ScottSinger,
I've performed a search of the forums as best I can for a Newbie but haven't managed to find anything related to this "issue". Only had one response from a forum member that noticed this issue which leads me to believe it's a "fault". But hey it's a pretty boring topic It would be appreciated if anyone could point me to the "indirect post"
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

dd, this is the thread I recalled
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...ning+off+A%2FC
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
BenWM
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

This is a feature that stops (or at least dries) condensate build up in the air-con system after the system has been turned off. This is designed to prevent "that musty smell" that usually emanates from air-con systems.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2015, 12:08 AM   #7
ddmyte
Australia
Rep

Hi BenWM, thanks for taking the time to respond - wondered where you found this out? My BMW dealer couldn't answer my question and I can't find anything written down from BMW. Do you have something in writing from BMW you could point me to?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
BenWM
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F22 M235i

Hi, no I don't.

My M 235i just had it's first service, and I highlighted this issue (along with loose door trim). At the time, they had no idea why the fan was also on by default.

When I came to pick it up, that's when the service adviser told me this. So no, I don't have it in writing anywhere.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2015, 11:01 PM   #9
ddmyte
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWM View Post
Hi, no I don't.

My M 235i just had it's first service, and I highlighted this issue (along with loose door trim). At the time, they had no idea why the fan was also on by default.

When I came to pick it up, that's when the service adviser told me this. So no, I don't have it in writing anywhere.
Hi BenWM,
Thanks for responding again. I feel it would have been in the owner's manual if it was supposed to work like that - would have been a selling "feature" specific to BMW and they'd blow their own trumpet as to how clever they are (no temperature gauge shows they're not that clever ). I've owned a few new cars in the last 10 years and that feature wasn't on any of them including Lexus (who make a better car and give better service, but I just wanted a beemer this time). I'm going to insist on it in writing as I've found my BMW dealer to be completely arrogant with no knowledge of the M235i at all.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 01:00 AM   #10
ddmyte
Australia
Rep

Real Reason AC has a mind of it's own

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff View Post
I'm in the US and this happens to me. I turn the A/C off before exiting the car. When I return the A/C is still off (no green light above the A/C button) but the car blows cold air for a few miles.

It's still winter here, but last summer more than once I got in the car at the end of the work day, was greeted by cold air (even with the A/C supposedly off), and drove off. A few miles later I was wondering why it was so hot in the car before realizing that the A/C was off.

No clue why it happens.
Hi, I've finally got it in writing as to why the AC has a mind of it's own. It's not something BMW want anyone to know about (otherwise it would be in the AC part of their manual as a wonderful idea). They are basically giving us believable BS as to why the AC comes on. The real issue is they did a software upgrade that caused the issue and they don't want to fix it. Their secret system states what needs to be advised to their customers so we don't get up in arms. I only wanted to know the real reason as it was obviously BS. It's not worth the time and hassle to push further so I'll live with it.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #11
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Interesting. What does their "secret system" say to tell customers?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #12
ddmyte
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbuff View Post
Interesting. What does their "secret system" say to tell customers?
Hi Bimmerbuff, I've attached the secret document and you can see it's BS.
1) If it was intended it would be in all their manuals and a "selling point"
2) In my car the air-con doesn't have to be on for an "extended" period of time to experience this.
3) They are expecting customer complaints - so why have it if no-one wants it.
4) It's due to a software update - obviously a bug and they don't want the expense of fixing it.
5) If the air-con stays on how does it dry out anything as it's still working the same. Example: you have Air-con on and turn car off without turning Air-Con off. For it then to do the job they say it's designed to do it would need to carry on after the car was switched off to actually do anything
6) They have obviously translated from German to English and the document doesn't read well.
7) Prevention of window mist - A bit of a joke for 2 reasons, that'll only happen on a cold morning and I think all of us owners know how to deal with it - turn the friggin AC on

Anyway I guess we have to live with it. BMW are the most arrogant manufacturer I have ever come across and give the worst customer service.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf F22 puma.pdf (14.7 KB, 792 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 03:47 AM   #13
im_dave
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: R53 MCS

This happens to me. Doesn't really bother me that much. Another thing, my fan turns on (no AC) every time I turn the car on, even though I turn it off before turning the ignition off.

Weird. Anyone else get this?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:34 AM   #14
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmyte View Post
Hi Bimmerbuff, I've attached the secret document and you can see it's BS.
Thanks for posting it - I agree, it's BS and we're probably losing a lot in the translation.

Running the compressor for 240 seconds won't dry out the evaporator. If you want to try and do that, turn the compressor off and just run the fan. I do that on hot days when close to wherever I'm going to try and dry out the evaporator and avoid the dreaded A/C funk smell.

I've also never experienced this after turning the A/C off while driving. It's only if I have the A/C off when the car is first started.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2015, 07:36 AM   #15
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_dave View Post
This happens to me. Doesn't really bother me that much. Another thing, my fan turns on (no AC) every time I turn the car on, even though I turn it off before turning the ignition off.

Weird. Anyone else get this?
Yes. I don't know of anyone who doesn't. I thought I read there was a way to code the car to fix it though. I've never gotten into coding, so I didn't pay much attention to it.

By default, there appears to be no way to turn the climate control completely off, leave the car, and then return with it remaining completely off.

These two issues are minor, but they're annoying for sure.
Appreciate 0