THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB Any reason to keep going to dealership for scheduled maintenance?

11-18-2023, 08:27 AM   #1
Misnomer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Any reason to keep going to dealership for scheduled maintenance?

My 2020 M240i's warranty has expired, and it's time for an oil change. I might still have some time left on the supplemental maintenace package I bought, but dealership appointments are such a PITA that I'm feeling ready to go back to the shop I used for my previous car*. This is my first BMW, though, so before I make the switch I had the impulse to check here first.

Money aside, is there any reason to get dealership service for as long as possible?

(*They have solid BMW creds.)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 09:04 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

No, unless you like to spend money. I too am in Nova and my go to shop is J&F Motors in Shirlington (South Arlington). Also, check www.bimrs.org to find a reputable independent shop that specializes in bimmers in your area. Even better, DIY. It's not hard at all. I have found that Ravenol VMP 5w/30 oil is a great oil for the B58 engine.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2023, 11:15 AM   #3
Misnomer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
No, unless you like to spend money.
I had a feeling...thanks.

DIY isn't an option, but thanks for mentioning J&F. My previous shop was G&C in Chantilly: I really liked them, but they're no longer convenient. I might go back to them anyway, but if I decide to go more local I'll probably try Eurasian Service Center in Tysons.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2023, 05:49 PM   #4
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Or use one of the Craftsman Auto Care locations, sponsors of the National Capital Chapter BMW CCA - https://www.craftsmanautocare.com/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2023, 07:04 AM   #5
Misnomer
United_States
Rep

Craftsman looks like a great option; thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 09:45 AM   #6
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Matt Curry! I used to go to Curry's in Falls Church (?).
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 02:31 PM   #7
John in VA
Colonel
Rep

Yep - Matt sold Curry's Automotive to Mr. Tire, took some time off and started adding shops to the new venture, Craftsman Auto Care. Be sure to ask for your BMW club discount!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 05:00 AM   #8
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

You definitely do not need to continue going to the dealership for service. A trusted BMW service shop is your friend post-warranty.

Interesting. I used Curry’s once when I was in a time crunch and needed to cornerbalance my e46 M3. Service wasn’t close to what I was expecting after having talked to several people. Ended up charging me considerably more because my front Moton struts didn’t come with helper springs. I mentioned how the suspension was setup, height adjusters, GC sliding sway bar , etc. Acted surprised when it came time to do the work. Never went back and never recommended them to anyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2023, 07:23 AM   #9
Misnomer
United_States
Rep

Thanks again, everyone! I have an appointment at Craftsman in McLean tomorrow morning; just an oil change and a state inspection, but we'll see how it goes.

My baby's first non-dealership service...they grow up so fast!
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2023, 12:47 PM   #10
John in VA
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Interesting. I used Curry’s once when I was in a time crunch and needed to cornerbalance my e46 M3. Service wasn’t close to what I was expecting after having talked to several people. Ended up charging me considerably more because my front Moton struts didn’t come with helper springs. I mentioned how the suspension was setup, height adjusters, GC sliding sway bar , etc. Acted surprised when it came time to do the work. Never went back and never recommended them to anyone.
As Matt is a racer, I'm surprised the shop wasn't more knowledgeable - maybe some were better equipped than others.
RRT usually gets high marks for the work you were after.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:54 PM   #11
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
As Matt is a racer, I'm surprised the shop wasn't more knowledgeable - maybe some were better equipped than others.
RRT usually gets high marks for the work you were after.
Perhaps the tech was having a bad day.

I was in a time crunch and RRT couldn’t fit me in so I had to look elsewhere. Do my own corner balance and alignments now. Investment in equipment is returned fairly quickly when you add up the costs of corner balance and alignments from true race shops.
Appreciate 1