THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Harman Kardon retrofit on F22 Chassis

09-03-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
darckmate
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw m240i lci

Harman Kardon retrofit on F22 Chassis

Hi everyone!

I've recently bought an f22 m240i Lci.

Overall I'm very happy with the car but the sound system is nothing but desapointing.

I know that HK was an option but my car did not came with it and to be onest while looking for the right 240 i did not came a cross many with this option.

So with this in mind i made my way to ECStuning, where i find many upgrade parts of the HK kit but in most of them it implies that this are only compatile with cars that came with the HK option from the factoy.

I'm aweare of the splicing requierd for the tweeters to be instaled but i wanted to know of any other issue or particularity that i should know before pulling the trigger.

I'm planing on installing this miself so any help is appreciated. Is there any cooding requiered?

Does anyone know of any other alternatives for a semi plug&play solution?

Thanks!

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...t/51337269362/
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
j2dad5389
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

You're not missing much tbh. The H/K sound is okay at best on the 2 series. For some reason the 2 series got skimped out on the actual H/K system that other bmw's have.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2020, 04:05 PM   #3
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by darckmate View Post
Hi everyone!

Overall I'm very happy with the car but the sound system is nothing but desapointing.

I know that HK was an option but my car did not came with it and to be onest while looking for the right 240 i did not came a cross many with this option.

So with this in mind i made my way to ECStuning, where i find many upgrade parts of the HK kit but in most of them it implies that this are only compatile with cars that came with the HK option from the factoy.

I'm aweare of the splicing requierd for the tweeters to be instaled but i wanted to know of any other issue or particularity that i should know before pulling the trigger.

I'm planing on installing this miself so any help is appreciated. Is there any cooding requiered?

Thanks!

Many better and likely cheaper options.
      09-03-2020, 06:47 PM   #4
BeautyInMotionF22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36,E92,F22

My recommendation is to get the Etons or Focals with the tweeters then buy the HK sails above the door no splicing required with that. Then do the JLs for the back deck they require some pigtails that can be had on ebay if you dont wanna splice. If you are still not satisfied you can put in the SWS-8XI underseats using technics spacers that allow for plug and play and if you still need more bass then you will have to do a dedicated trunk sub. Someone else can speak to replacing the amp cause i didn't do that.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2dad5389 View Post
You're not missing much tbh. The H/K sound is okay at best on the 2 series. For some reason the 2 series got skimped out on the actual H/K system that other bmw's have.
For some reason = it's the lowest cost series and started at $30k USD. They saved money in lots of places, stereo system included. Believe it or not there's an even worse system below HiFi avail ROW.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #6
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
For some reason = it's the lowest cost series and started at $30k USD. They saved money in lots of places, stereo system included. Believe it or not there's an even worse system below HiFi avail ROW.
The base system on my eGolf is better than the HK system on the F22 and not by a little.
      09-03-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
FCBuff
Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: '16 M235I XDrive

Don't waste your hard earned $$$ on the HK. They have ruined it. If you are willing to spend the $, then go after market.
      09-04-2020, 02:21 AM   #8
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

I don't have the HK but what the standard system reminds me of the audio on a cheapy Costco-sourced TV that I once returned. I swear, the OEM Bose system on my old '91 Saturn had a fuller, clearer sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

The F22 audio systems-hifi and HF-have several issues. First, the speakers are junk. The magnets are small and the cones are paper. The second issue is the amp. It's an adequate amp but it's not tune-able. Lastly, the digital to analog converters in the head unit are mediocre. Retail prices for 2 channel digital to analog converters on www.mouser.com range from less than $2 each to more than $60 each. The differences include sampling rate, conversion algorithm, bits, etc.

The first thing is to create a budget. Then start with the speakers. I recommend that you buy a pair of sails for the component tweeters. Then, select your speakers. Eton, Audiotec-Fischer, Focal all make direct replacement speakers for the front pair. The rears aren't as critical. I went with JL 2 way speakers.

The next step is to buy a tune-able amp. I went with the Audiotec-Fischer MATCH 7UP BMW amp. It's tune-ability is daunting. But, I took my time and learned the software and experimented with it. I also added the Bluetooth module to the amp. I tried the USB module first, but my iPhone was finicky and sometimes would stop interfacing with the amp. The Bluetooth module has the latest Bluetooth and format capabilities. JL also make a tune-able amp but it's not plug and play like the Audiotec-Fisher amp,

Lastly, chuck the subs under the seat. Like the other speakers they are crap. I'm still researching these. But, the Audiotec-Fischer amp can be tuned for which ever subs you install.
Appreciate 1
JonOhh672.00
      07-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #10
tweetyblu
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22 230i

I just did this retrofit yesterday. I've bought the complete set with 5 speakers and 5 tweeters plus 2 woofers and one amplifier.
Please note my car is an LCI model that also has ASD right besides the amplifier. You will need two CAN wires + and - to connect the HK amplifier, because the stock one that comes from HIFI doesn't have CAN, but it's easy since it's on the same CAN bus as the ASD amplifier that sits right next to it.
Also the speaker grills must be replaced from the back speakers. In order for the best experience use ISTA to code the car and also there is an update in 2021 for the iDrive that also includes an update for the HK amplifier.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2022, 06:42 AM   #11
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

Quote:
I was told by a BMW technician that the F series 1 and 2 HK system was an “upgrade” rather than a complete ground up (and different) system used in the F 3 series car.
Having formerly owned an F30 330D MSport fitted with HK, I can confirm the F22 HK system is somewhat inferior.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2022, 05:00 PM   #12
JonOhh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330i

Garage List
Yeahhh, unfortunately this is one of those instances where aftermarket may be the way to go. F30 HK is pretty lacking compared to the E90 HK/L7 depending on taste (different/less lively surround upmixer, better amp, but generally worse speaker hardware and mounting depth), and the 2 Series HK is without a surround processor, and not as good as even the F30. It's more similar to the mid range BMW hifi systems used on older models, with no MOST loop.

If you can do without surround and rear fill, it has potential with aftermarket hardware though.

Oh, additionally, I'm not sure if this holds true for the non-HK 2er amp, but you can code it to different cars which have different EQ and timings. Despite likely being "less correct", I found a remarkable improvement in the soundstage on our 16' F23 w/ HK by doing this- it's livable now.

Last edited by JonOhh; 07-23-2022 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:35 AM   #13
frangyrc
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 120I

Quote:
Originally Posted by darckmate View Post
Hi everyone!

Thanks!

Did you manage to set up the HK amplifier?
I'm facing the same issue. I have the Hifi equipment and doesn't come with CAN wires. Did you manage to code everything? Do you have to code itor will it work without code it?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2023, 04:54 AM   #14
Myabo
Registered
Rep
Drives: F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangyrc View Post
Did you manage to set up the HK amplifier?
I'm facing the same issue. I have the Hifi equipment and doesn't come with CAN wires. Did you manage to code everything? Do you have to code itor will it work without code it?
Hi,
I’m very interested too.

I’ve purchased HK amp to replaced the stock Hifi Amp (674).
The harness is exactly the same (no fiber ******ion in 2 series).
But when I connect it, I’ve no sound.
Suppose it’s need coding !?

Thanks for help !!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 09:36 AM   #15
frangyrc
Registered
Rep

As far as I could find, HK amp needs CAN line and code it. I'm trying to get more info about how to do it but it's quite dificcult since people doen't convert from hi-fi to harman kardon usually.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 01:26 AM   #16
frangyrc
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetyblu View Post
I just did this retrofit yesterday. I've bought the complete set with 5 speakers and 5 tweeters plus 2 woofers and one amplifier.
Please note my car is an LCI model that also has ASD right besides the amplifier. You will need two CAN wires + and - to connect the HK amplifier, because the stock one that comes from HIFI doesn't have CAN, but it's easy since it's on the same CAN bus as the ASD amplifier that sits right next to it.
Also the speaker grills must be replaced from the back speakers. In order for the best experience use ISTA to code the car and also there is an update in 2021 for the iDrive that also includes an update for the HK amplifier.
Hi, could you explain how to do the coding part? Is that something needed or will it work anyway without coding?
Do you know if the coding can be done with bimmercode?
I don’t have ISTA so the only tool that I have right now for coding is bimmercode.
Appreciate 0