THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Australian M2 thread

07-19-2016, 09:17 AM   #419
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffa12 View Post
Saw my first M2 on the road just now, coming in opposite direction from afar. Couldn't have missed it with its distinctive LBB, low wide front profile and large inverted trapezoidal front grill. The growl it made when we passed was quite impressive even with my windows up. Unsure if its stock, MP or aftermarket pipes and box but I was duly impressed. I was sure I wouldn't dabbled in the M2 but I'm not so sure now!! lol Looked and sounded great
And you still haven't driven a 3.8 flat six yet,
Yeah that's true but Porsche didn't want me, didn't give me an allocation so I say f** them! *middle finger*
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:49 AM   #420
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Yeah that's true but Porsche didn't want me, didn't give me an allocation so I say f** them! *middle finger*
dude they were throwing GT4 allocations around about 2-3 months ago, couldn't give em away
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 05:53 PM   #421
Dave-A
Serial Car Buyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: E82 1 Series M and E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer
Quote:
dude they were throwing GT4 allocations around about 2-3 months ago, couldn't give em away
Pm me mate- I just cancelled my order and am happy to put you in touch with the dealer.

Past: '16 F87 M2, '09 987 Cayman, '08 B7 RS4 Avant, '08 E92 M3, '01 B5 RS4 Avant, '05 987 Boxster S, '03 E46 M3, '04 Evo 8MR, and '01 8L S3.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 08:17 PM   #422
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemer View Post
probs the 70 extra allocations but i had moved on after first round snub. just very glad i didn't fork out $270k for a speculator's car, albeit preferred specs. all good now
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #423
billwoods
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2017 F30 330i

Garage List
M2 pretty much beats M235 in every possible way. Gotta admit that
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #424
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwoods
M2 pretty much beats M235 in every possible way. Gotta admit that
It does.. Including a $30k+ premium!

I've mentioned this previously, if I didn't already have a M235i without a doubt I'd get the M2.

The M2 is a little bit better in every single way... It's got a slightly better gearbox, slightly more powerful engine, better looking, handles a little better, LSD and a better chassis.

I still believe it's very dependent on what you use the car for... Day to day driving, I don't think the difference will be that big... On a track? YES! Went to a skid pan the other night and the M235i just doesn't perform that well.

So I think it's really up to the person.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #425
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Hi my m2 reaches Brisbane in 10days!

I got a quote for some m performance parts from my dealer

Carbon rear diffuser
Carbon bootlit spoiler
Carbon mirror caps
Black kidney surrounds

$3950

Don't know the exact breakdown and haven't had an opportunity to Compare to importing it from IND
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 03:11 AM   #426
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
Hi my m2 reaches Brisbane in 10days!

I got a quote for some m performance parts from my dealer

Carbon rear diffuser
Carbon bootlit spoiler
Carbon mirror caps
Black kidney surrounds

$3950

Don't know the exact breakdown and haven't had an opportunity to Compare to importing it from IND
Congrats on your impending arrival.

Does the price include fitting?

rrp from my local dealer was:
Carbon rear diffuser - $1545
Carbon bootlit spoiler $930
Carbon mirror caps - $682
Black kidney surrounds $400

I think IND may be a bit cheaper but you may find shipping is pricey.

Last edited by Prodigy.; 09-13-2016 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 06:09 AM   #427
danielt
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 F87 M2 / 2013 M5 LCI comp

Garage List
Looks like that price quoted was full RRP, having found this article:

http://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-m2-performance-102565/

Priced from IND, including GST but excluding shipping & duty, was $3800, so I imagine with shipping added & further duty, and the hassle of DIY, it would actually cost more than supply/install from dealer.

I'm not sure how negotiable the dealer is on the M-performance parts ...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 03:56 AM   #428
TWD
Australia
Rep
Drives: All sorts of Cars

Been a while....just finished this one

Appreciate 2
      12-08-2016, 10:44 PM   #429
x328x
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M Sport

God that is such a beast. Most aggressive M i reckon

the only thing that lets me down is the interior, cant wait for them to update it
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 10:31 PM   #430
Lukkyphil
Paddleslapper
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5 aka The Tractor

Test drove M2 DCT this morning, had the BMW Sports Exhaust fitted.

The Sales Managers mentioned the build queue goes a bit skewif from August, due to the LCI coming into production.

Driving an RS3 this afternoon, so will either order the RS3 Sedan or the LCI M2.

M2 was very nice, the controlled rear drift round corners was enjoyable after three years in AWD cars. Engine sound, throttle response, brakes, in reminded me of my old LCI 135i, just turned up to 11.

RS3 is only the 270KW Sportback as the 294KW Sedan is still a few months off, but it is going to need to be amazing to beat the M2 in my mind. Will keep the SQ5 as my wife pretty much stole it off me a year ago anyway, its a great cruiser and country road mile eater.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 01:09 AM   #431
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukkyphil View Post
Test drove M2 DCT this morning, had the BMW Sports Exhaust fitted.

The Sales Managers mentioned the build queue goes a bit skewif from August, due to the LCI coming into production.

Driving an RS3 this afternoon, so will either order the RS3 Sedan or the LCI M2.

M2 was very nice, the controlled rear drift round corners was enjoyable after three years in AWD cars. Engine sound, throttle response, brakes, in reminded me of my old LCI 135i, just turned up to 11.

RS3 is only the 270KW Sportback as the 294KW Sedan is still a few months off, but it is going to need to be amazing to beat the M2 in my mind. Will keep the SQ5 as my wife pretty much stole it off me a year ago anyway, its a great cruiser and country road mile eater.
I went out for a drive in this the other week, i assume it's the MG demo at AC? I was happy with the stock exhaust until i heard this, track mode sounds incredible.

I drove the RS3 when it first was released, the exhuast note was lovely and the interior is quality but the overal look didn't do it for me, the one i drove was black with plain silver wheels and it looked boring, also the drive itself didn't feel that special. Sedan may be a different story though.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts after driving both cars on the same day.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #432
Lukkyphil
Paddleslapper
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5 aka The Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I went out for a drive in this the other week, i assume it's the MG demo at AC? I was happy with the stock exhaust until i heard this, track mode sounds incredible.

I drove the RS3 when it first was released, the exhuast note was lovely and the interior is quality but the overal look didn't do it for me, the one i drove was black with plain silver wheels and it looked boring, also the drive itself didn't feel that special. Sedan may be a different story though.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts after driving both cars on the same day.
RS3 - Interior is nicer, no real argument. M2 looks better from every external angle, based on the RS3 Sedan being an S3 with 10mm odd added to each guard it will still be nice, but fairly reserved.

New Virtual cockpit was shown to me on installed on a S3, pretty nice tech and electronics.

As to the drive yeah the M2 has that lovely slight tail out drift before the nanny aids kick in - fun. The M exhaust was maybe a little too loud with the baffles open, screamed copbait to me. Felt good under brakes, ride was firm but not too jarring on crap roads through Burswood then East Perth.

I got to the Audi dealer thinking it was a done deal on the M2. Took out the RS3 (with performance pack - so 255 tyres on front, 235 on rear), first corner I am winding on the throttle as I am straightening the wheel and was pretty stunned by the grip and acceleration. Kept turning up the wick through a few more corners, and I am thinking that this is defying physics with the ability to accelerate and have it rocket out without more than a wiggle in the back end. No adjustable Quattro in the sportback, unlike the forthcoming sedan.

Brakes are very capable. Ride varied from almost plush in comfort to firm in dynamic. No doubt the M2 is a better track car, but I have paid to play that game and I am not sure I will be doing often enough for it to be a consideration. That said I have a fairly lumpy 1970 Mach 1 Mustang which has no issues getting the back end out - wet, dry and everything in between.

The Performance Pack with the Crystal Blue Paint, and Matt Aluminium external trims is still $8.5K cheaper than the M2. Not alot over the 3-4 years of ownership, as the M2 will probably have better resale percentage. My head is leaning towards the RS3 as being a easier car to drive and live with day to day. To be fair I don't think you could be disappointed with either car - they both are pretty amazing - supercars of twenty years ago were inferior in pretty much every way.

BM Dealer has offered me an extended test drive of the M2, I will take them up on the offer, and see if the M2 can win my heart over, but the head is thinking RS3, and the heart doesn't really mind either way.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 08:18 PM   #433
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Sounds like you have a tough decision ahead (although a nice one to have)

I guess it really comes down to want you are wanting out of the car, as you say both are pretty amazing, RS3 is definitely more practical for daily duties, having 4 doors and awd is a plus, also the more sedate looks will attract less attention from wannabe racers and other degenerates out on the street.

I guess for me i was sold on the M2 as soon as i saw pictures of it, the flared guards and aggressive looks similar to the 1M had me sold. (Always wished i bought a 1M over my 135i) Although i knew it would be a good drive being an M car, the fact it has won so much recognition since release is just a bonus.
Appreciate 0