THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning GSR Technik 228i N20 ECU Flash Tune Now Available 50whp/90wtq

07-02-2015, 08:28 PM   #133
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubok View Post
Thanks for the input!

Those are some low dyno numbers. I baselined 248hp and 260lbft on a dynojet on a 80deg day here in TX.

Based on those delta's I would be about 290hp and 310 lbft at the wheel.

In any case I know of at least 3 other guys plus me having some anomalies with stage 1. So there is something else at play with stage 1 and either coils, MAF, boost leak, stock DV or something else.
Dyno's run different depending on type, the key is the delta. I am curious about your Stage 1 issues though.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2015, 08:16 PM   #134
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 | E92 M3 | '15 Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Hey not sure if you saw this question but I'm quite curious so I reposted it.
Hey man, in racing situation absolutely. With long periods of constant high RPMs, deceleration, operating temps, etc. and desire to get every little bit out of the car it makes sense. Also falls into standard post race maintenance regimen. For street cars we hardly ever add catch cans because typically most of the performance is in short spurts and the advantage vs convenience is much less.

One could argue that running on the razors edge this would help but most of issues we are seeing is just dealing with boost leaks and DVs, not necessarily misfires created by oil displacement.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #135
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm on stage 1 with CEL delete for DP.

Only put 93 in.

It seems like there is something funky going on with the DP and 93 combo.

That said I may not be a good example, as suspect a boost leak.
Boost leaks are one of the most common issues we are seeing.
Appreciate 1
      07-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #136
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBNYC View Post
GSR Autosport has the 350wtq limiter been revised if it only affects Automatics and not Manual cars?

For us with 93 octane otherwise stock wanting to get the ECU Flash stage1 what will happen? Is the issue happening with 91 octane or 93 as well ?

goon Stubok what do you guys think
We have only seen this on the autos and unfortunately have not resolved. We have seen some cars running 93 bump into the limiter so on the latest Stage 1 tune we have rounded out the initial torque spike to reduce the chance to bump into the limiter.
Appreciate 2
      07-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #137
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
I've got one in my car, and I plan on looking at it this weekend...will let you know if it "catches" anything. I will say that when I installed it, there was oil in the tubes...

How did the test go?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #138
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport View Post
How did the test go?
It's been raining every day since Friday

Haven't had a chance to crawl under the hood and check it out. I'm hoping to try tomorrow as it's supposed to clear up.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #139
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red F30 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport View Post
Hey not sure if you saw this question but I'm quite curious so I reposted it.
Hey man, in racing situation absolutely. With long periods of constant high RPMs, deceleration, operating temps, etc. and desire to get every little bit out of the car it makes sense. Also falls into standard post race maintenance regimen. For street cars we hardly ever add catch cans because typically most of the performance is in short spurts and the advantage vs convenience is much less.

One could argue that running on the razors edge this would help but most of issues we are seeing is just dealing with boost leaks and DVs, not necessarily misfires created by oil displacement.
Nick, are you guys planning to do any upgrades to the stock DV? I have the DV+ kit from GFB, but it's not a quick job. Seems the Exhaust/Turbo Assembly has to come out to access the DV.

Also do you guys plan on writing up an engine rebuild thread? I know I speak for everyone when I say we would love to know what it takes to rebuild one and what parts can be upgraded.

A while ago I spoke to Alex at ABR Houston about rebuilding my engine with better bottom end components to cope with a turbo upgrade and the numbers you guys were running. This is what he had to say...

The N20's are still in uncharted territories. We've been in about 5 of them for flood damage, and know their inner workings, but have yet to have a client want to build one (and be serious) about it. The N20's have some VERY strange things going on with them inside, and because of that we had to learn the hard way over those issues when taking them apart and putting them back together.

These engines, along with the N54 engines have taken us over a year in development to properly put them back together without any issues. They are a real bugger. Besides that, the huge investment in special tools needed as well.

I'd say budget wise, to pull an engine/completely strip it down/build it/put it back together/reinstall it, you'd be looking in the 12-20K range depending on what we're doing with the engine specifically.
Appreciate 5
      07-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #140
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR Autosport View Post
We have only seen this on the autos and unfortunately have not resolved. We have seen some cars running 93 bump into the limiter so on the latest Stage 1 tune we have rounded out the initial torque spike to reduce the chance to bump into the limiter.
Any reports back on the flash update from those running the latest version? With 91 octane here in CA, we're pretty limited it seems........
      07-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #141
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Had a chance to open up the Catch Can, not much for DD but there was some oil considering it's been in the car for a month or so.

After wiping it out, not much at all...but then again I don't really push my car at all, just an occasional blip through the gears.

Appreciate 1
      07-08-2015, 09:39 PM   #142
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

If you baby your car, i dont think the catch can will be necessary. If you track and push it 24/7 then different story

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
Had a chance to open up the Catch Can, not much for DD but there was some oil considering it's been in the car for a month or so.

After wiping it out, not much at all...but then again I don't really push my car at all, just an occasional blip through the gears.

Appreciate 1
      07-08-2015, 09:45 PM   #143
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post
If you baby your car, i dont think the catch can will be necessary. If you track and push it 24/7 then different story
Yep, that was my point!
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #144
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Any feedback from people running the GSR tune?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 11:52 AM   #145
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

My ECU came back with the latest stage 1 flash a couple days ago. I filled up with VPower 93 and spent over an hour testing it out yesterday.

Performance wise it's good. Maybe I was expecting a little more. But I guess they had to turn it down from the last version that was running into trans limiter and other stuttering issues.

The stuttering has largely gone, but there is still an occasional lighter stutter under load and mid to high acceleration around 3000rpm. Though this may be the engine, as there are reports of this from others running stock and with various other tunes.

I should be on a dyno in a couple weeks, so we will see what it's making with my AFE intake, ER downpipe, ER Chargepipes and ATM FMIC.

GSR Autosport A tuner I know asked if we are maybe running into compressor surge. He says it's very common on VW/VAG 2ltr engines running 22psi boost between 3000 & 4000rpm. I seem to remember reading a comment by you on compressor surge. Can you comment on this?
Appreciate 3
      07-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #146
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I put a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in my tank this morning and did some runs throughout the day. A few stints through town and out on the highway.

I don't know if it's the cleaner or if the ECU is adjusting the AFR to the new tune, but the car is running really strong and smooth now! No hesitation, no jerks, just pulls and pulls.

I was grinning from ear to ear on the motor way. 40 to 80 is amazing!

Fingers crossed this is the solution. I'm also going to put some induction/vacuum system cleaner through the engine, as that also seems to be a go to for hesitation etc.

My car group all told me that they put techron through their system every 5 or so tanks. I wonder what you guys think of this?
Appreciate 2
      07-15-2015, 07:13 PM   #147
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
So I put a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in my tank this morning and did some runs throughout the day. A few stints through town and out on the highway.

I don't know if it's the cleaner or if the ECU is adjusting the AFR to the new tune, but the car is running really strong and smooth now! No hesitation, no jerks, just pulls and pulls.

Fingers crossed this is the solution. I'm also going to put some induction/vacuum system cleaner through the engine, as that also seems to be a go to for hesitation etc.

My car group all told me that they put techron through their system every 5 or so tanks. I wonder what you guys think of this?
Pretty sure all premium gasolines have the Techron..but it's probably highly diluted so a moderate 'hit' of a quart or so (whatever the size is) seems to have helped your issues .

Awesome.
      07-15-2015, 09:23 PM   #148
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:

Hey I'm also going to adopt the practice of putting a bottle of techron in my fuel system every once in awhile. It's not the first time I've heard BMW engines benefit from it. Glad to hear you're back on track with a strong engine and little to no stutter. I saw another thread on the 3 forum about the n20 having stuttering issues around 3-4k. It's starting to look like theres a common issue with our engine contributed to dirty fuel, intake, or vacuum. Which frankly is good news to me if that's the case because that's an inexpensive easy fix. I had the stutter one time with an accompanied "exhaust valve position" error code like the guy in the 3 forum. I hope that's all it is. Thanks for putting so much research into this. I've been following your posts around bummerpost. I wish bmw would be more helpful in letting us know known issues with this.

Btw how are you go to clean the induction/vacuum line? Seafoam spray?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #149
Stubok
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport
Quote:

Hey I'm also going to adopt the practice of putting a bottle of techron in my fuel system every once in awhile. It's not the first time I've heard BMW engines benefit from it. Glad to hear you're back on track with a strong engine and little to no stutter. I saw another thread on the 3 forum about the n20 having stuttering issues around 3-4k. It's starting to look like theres a common issue with our engine contributed to dirty fuel, intake, or vacuum. Which frankly is good news to me if that's the case because that's an inexpensive easy fix. I had the stutter one time with an accompanied "exhaust valve position" error code like the guy in the 3 forum. I hope that's all it is. Thanks for putting so much research into this. I've been following your posts around bummerpost. I wish bmw would be more helpful in letting us know known issues with this.

Btw how are you go to clean the induction/vacuum line? Seafoam spray?
Not sure how to get it in the vacuum line. Have to work that out.

The engine PCV works in a few different ways. One way when normally aspirated, another when transitioning from NA to Boost and then one way under boost.

Getting it into the induction system should be easy enough. I'll probably just spray it through one of the bungs on the charge pipe while the engine is idling.

Edit: when the engine goes to boost the crankcase ventilation method changes from going through the PCV and to bypassing it. So I don't think this is causing any hesitation.

Last edited by Stubok; 07-16-2015 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 01:06 AM   #150
GSR Technik
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My ECU came back with the latest stage 1 flash a couple days ago. I filled up with VPower 93 and spent over an hour testing it out yesterday.

Performance wise it's good. Maybe I was expecting a little more. But I guess they had to turn it down from the last version that was running into trans limiter and other stuttering issues.

The stuttering has largely gone, but there is still an occasional lighter stutter under load and mid to high acceleration around 3000rpm. Though this may be the engine, as there are reports of this from others running stock and with various other tunes.

I should be on a dyno in a couple weeks, so we will see what it's making with my AFE intake, ER downpipe, ER Chargepipes and ATM FMIC.

GSR Autosport A tuner I know asked if we are maybe running into compressor surge. He says it's very common on VW/VAG 2ltr engines running 22psi boost between 3000 & 4000rpm. I seem to remember reading a comment by you on compressor surge. Can you comment on this?
Mostly on the VAG cars it was the diverter valves which would be forced open with higher boost levels and at specific sustained boost levels you would hit a harmonic with the spring rate in the diverter valve and it would open and close creating a surging effect.

Nick...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 12:28 PM   #151
kanucks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i xDrive

Will there possibly be another group buy for the GSR F22 N20 ECU Flash tune, if there's enough interest from forum members? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #152
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
GSR Autosport what is the target boost on the N20 AT on each of your stages?

Is 20 too conservative?
Is 21.7-21.9 w/ DP & 93 octane ok?
Would this cause DTMAL on your flash ?

I've ran 22.1 on my piggyback previously with 0 issues, so trying to understand why my friend is getting DTMAL w/ a BR-P flash

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Last edited by FSociety; 09-12-2015 at 02:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #153
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Quote:
Stubok;18259803]

Dyno results? Tried to PM you but your box is full
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2015, 06:23 PM   #154
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

GSR Autosport Have you run into shaking engines upon startup after cold start with the n20's?
Appreciate 1