THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Clutch chatter...trip to dealer necessary?

02-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #1
JoyRin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i manual

Clutch chatter...trip to dealer necessary?

Background: 15 m235i 6spd manual, bought CPO w/ 5.5k miles, now has 12k miles.

Ok so to set the stage, i bought the car CPO'd from dealer in Sept.. Thru all the excitement, i forgot to check the tires to get an idea of the previous owner's (returned lease) driving habits. As soon as i got home, i checked and saw that the rear tires were halfway worn (7/32) whereas the fronts were barely worn (9/32). First time experience with pss tires so i thought that after researching on the forums that rear tires only last 10k-15k miles, maybe it was just normal since these are super sticky and wont last that long. Fast forward to the end of Jan. (over 6k miles driven), i swapped to my winter set and measured my tires again. Fronts were right at 8/32 and rears at 6/32. Soooo, 1/32 of wear on both sets during my 6k miles but rears wore down 3/32 (should be around 10/32 brand new) during the 1st owners 5k miles!? Sounds like whoever had this car first was launching the crap out of the car or doing madz donuts. Since i never told the dealer of my suspicions since i originally thought it was normal, it may be too late to bring it up now.

Ok so Im getting clutch chatter only when im using the clutch a lot, ie. mostly traffic or if i accidently ride clutch too much. Doesnt happen in the morning (cold start) or anything like that. Usually the chatter stays for a day or so then goes away until the next time im stuck in traffic. Otherwise, no slippage. Just chatter. I understand that some may say that the chatter is normal on bmws but the 'tale of the tires' has too much suspicion of abuse that i dont think it can be ignored.

Should i take it to the dealer?

Edit: wanted to add my driving habits incase anyone is wondering why i only used 1/32 in tread over 6k miles....mostly commuting, back roads on weekends @ 7/10ths driving, still can count on my hands how many 2+ gear WOT pulls i've done, and only rolling start 1st gear pulls so never launched ever.

Last edited by JoyRin; 02-12-2016 at 11:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Take it to dealer just to get a response.

But as a daily driver I'm rather sedate in my 235 and for fun times more into high speed turns and never accelerate hard from a stop or even crawling speed.
But in warm temps in traffic will get the chatter - just as you describe.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
JoyRin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i manual

For me, itll chatter even in cold temps as long as im using the clutch a lot. The reason i brought this up bc it was chattering again when it was <30 degrees outside.
Appreciate 0