THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Apple Care with theft and loss for iPad

10-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Apple Care with theft and loss for iPad

So apparently you can only get this for iPhone. Anyone know why they don't offer this for iPad?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

AppleCare contracts vary depending on the device.

Had it on both my MacBook and iPhone. On the iPhone you get 2 counts of accidental damage. 0 on the MacBook.

My thinking was that it's kind of expected that you'll drop your phone, but not your laptop.
Same thinking would apply to being robbed/losing a phone versus a big tablet.

I just learned from you that AppleCare covers losses and robberies...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post

Had it on both my MacBook and iPhone. On the iPhone you get 2 counts of accidental damage. 0 on the MacBook.

My thinking was that it's kind of expected that you'll drop your phone, but not your laptop.

Also on an unrelated topic Apple offers built in LTE support on iPads but not MacBooks. Not sure why that is. You can even get an Apple Watch with lte and every pc laptop can be ordered with lte built in. Of course you can tether any WiFi device to an iPhone but still seems odd not to offer it as an option, as well as theft and loss for laptops.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-31-2018, 03:35 PM   #4
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:

Also on an unrelated topic Apple offers built in LTE support on iPads but not MacBooks. Not sure why that is. You can even get an Apple Watch with lte and every pc laptop can be ordered with lte built in. Of course you can tether any WiFi device to an iPhone but still seems odd not to offer it as an option, as well as theft and loss for laptops.
I guess it's like the manual transmission discussion...

I for one would never buy a laptop with builtin LTE if it costs more, let alone theft/loss for more money.

YMMV
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #5
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I guess it's like the manual transmission discussion...

I for one would never buy a laptop with builtin LTE if it costs more, let alone theft/loss for more money.

YMMV
I had an old dell that I added Bluetooth after the fact so I didn't need a dongle. They could probably charge $130 more to have lte like they do with lte iPads. But like the iPad you couldn't add it after the fact unless ifixit discovers a way to do it.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-31-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Charge it to your AMEX. AMEX provides up to 90 days of accidental damage and theft. They will also double the manufacturer's warranty up to 1 extra year of coverage. And it's free.
Appreciate 3
________4158.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      10-31-2018, 04:07 PM   #7
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Charge it to your AMEX. AMEX provides up to 90 days of accidental damage and theft. They will also double the manufacturer's warranty up to 1 extra year of coverage. And it's free.
I get that with my visa signature with no annual fee and 1.75% cash back. If I want coverage beyond 90 days there is a fee. The claims process would be more of a hassle than doing it through Apple.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
________
________
Rep

What's in your wallet
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:10 PM   #9
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
What's in your wallet
I had one of those capitol one cards but didn't want to pay the annual fee as I can get a travel rewards card with no fee.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-31-2018, 04:14 PM   #10
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
I get that with my visa signature with no annual fee and 1.75% cash back. If I want coverage beyond 90 days there is a fee. The claims process would be more of a hassle than doing it through Apple.
I've made two claims with AMEX. Both were very easy. One was for an item that was accidentally damaged. All I had to do was provide a copy of the receipt and the statement which it was charged. They credited me back the full amount into my AMEX account and told me I could keep the damaged item.

Second claim was for a Xerox Phaser 8560MFP/D printer. Extremely expensive printer. Ran into a problem with the main board with it just out of warranty. AMEX asked for an estimate and then approved the $900 repair bill. I charged the repair onto my AMEX and the credit washed out the balance.

ETA: I forget the cash back rewards I get on my AMEX Blue. But I do get cash back and with no annual fee.
Appreciate 3
________4158.50
Kyngofpop676.00
      10-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #11
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Quote:
I've made two claims with AMEX. Both were very easy. One was for an item that was accidentally damaged. All I had to do was provide a copy of the receipt and the statement which it was charged. They credited me back the full amount into my AMEX account and told me I could keep the damaged item.

Second claim was for a Xerox Phaser 8560MFP/D printer. Extremely expensive printer. Ran into a problem with the main board with it just out of warranty. AMEX asked for an estimate and then approved the $900 repair bill. I charged the repair onto my AMEX and the credit washed out the balance.

ETA: I forget the cash back rewards I get on my AMEX Blue. But I do get cash back and with no annual fee.
I do like visa though as it is accepted everywhere I can use it for mundane things like groceries or big ticket items. I had a discover card but had to keep another card because it wasn't accepted everywhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:27 PM   #12
saeyedoc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 Carrera S, 2013 Panny GTS

You could get it through ATT if you buy from them. It can include devices not connected to a wireless plan. https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saeyedoc View Post
You could get it through ATT if you buy from them. It can include devices not connected to a wireless plan. https://www.att.com/offers/device-protection.html
I could probably do it through square trade or other third party insurance after I score a deal at frys or Best Buy with their insurance plan.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
________
________
Rep

Just came back to say AppleCare never covered equipment lost or stolen, even iPhones. I thought so before but you said otherwise, so you might want to check again.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 12:53 PM   #15
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just came back to say AppleCare never covered equipment lost or stolen, even iPhones. I thought so before but you said otherwise, so you might want to check again.

Cheers
They do now starting with iPhone Xs. You have to have find my iPhone turned on however. Who told you they don't offer theft and loss it is on the Apple website but just for iPhones.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/S...7a627efd231bdb
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
________4158.50
      11-02-2018, 12:58 PM   #16
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Cheers
This is in the US don't know about Canada.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-04-2018, 01:32 AM   #17
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
Of course you can tether any WiFi device to an iPhone but still seems odd not to offer it as an option....
iPhone + MacBook > MacBook
Appreciate 0