THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The job interview shananigans thread

10-31-2018, 11:17 PM   #89
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukicabuki View Post
I don't know the context of you being asked that question but there are situations where it is a requirement to ask. If the company/project you'll be working for have ITAR (International Traffic in Arms) requirements then nationality is a legitimate question. A number of nationalities (~23 last I saw) are barred from working under ITAR requirements. Dual citizenship and even being married to someone with citizenship of one of these countries can be grounds for rejection.

Recently, we were forced to pass on a very qualified engineer due to his Chinese citizenship even though he is a permanent resident (green card) because we are an ITAR facility.

With that being said, based on your username, German is not one of the nationalities affected by ITAR.
He is Turkish
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2018, 11:21 PM   #90
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
He is Turkish
Turkey isn't on the list but given the number of countries in that region that are, its not surprising that its scrutinized. Granted, if the job doesn't require ITAR then it's a BS question with no merit.
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2018, 11:23 PM   #91
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

I’ve only ever had one set of interviews, which was for my current job right out of my MS degree. Honestly, the interview process terrifies me and I never really want to do it again.
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2018, 11:30 PM   #92
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
I’ve only ever had one set of interviews, which was for my current job right out of my MS degree. Honestly, the interview process terrifies me and I never really want to do it again.
Understandably.

The part I hate the most is "references". I hate asking people for favours, and this is likely one of the worst things to ask a person, to me.

I wouldn't mind doing it for anyone though.
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2018, 11:32 PM   #93
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

When asked about my previous accomplishments I stated I married a hot younger chick once.
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2018, 11:38 PM   #94
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
When asked about my previous accomplishments I stated I married a hot younger chick once.
How'd that work out for you?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:52 PM   #95
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I don't know the context of you being asked that question but there are situations where it is a requirement to ask. If the company/project you'll be working for have ITAR (International Traffic in Arms) requirements then nationality is a legitimate question. A number of nationalities (~23 last I saw) are barred from working under ITAR requirements. Dual citizenship and even being married to someone with citizenship of one of these countries can be grounds for rejection.

Recently, we were forced to pass on a very qualified engineer due to his Chinese citizenship even though he is a permanent resident (green card) because we are an ITAR facility.

With that being said, based on your username, German is not one of the nationalities affected by ITAR.
I will be making buildings, not selling guns
I do need sponsorship which understandably is something a lot of companies are not looking forward to because it's anywhere from $5k-10k and a shit ton of paperwork

Quote:
Turkey isn't on the list but given the number of countries in that region that are, its not surprising that its scrutinized. Granted, if the job doesn't require ITAR then it's a BS question with no merit.
As I said, I'm a civil engineer (in the making) so I don't think I'll ever need ITAR clearance, unless me and my classmates work on a concrete gun startup but I highly doubt that'll happen soon...

I do know a shit ton of foreign Aero majors here though, it's great that they're pursuing education here but they all know they can't do much with that here...
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      10-31-2018, 11:55 PM   #96
________
________
Rep

If you need sponsorship that's a different story. Sorry about that, it's a shitty position to be in but you're smart and graduating college locally, you'll find the right fit and they'll invest in you to get you.
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2018, 12:06 AM   #97
Turkish Pickle
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 330i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
If you need sponsorship that's a different story. Sorry about that, it's a shitty position to be in but you're smart and graduating college locally, you'll find the right fit and they'll invest in you to get you.
Yeah, that's the plan. I'm hopeful of the company I had an interview with on friday, even reached out to one of their employees (who's also Turkish, they mentioned him a lot in the interview because our last names are similar) and said he'd put in a good word for me, hopefully it goes well...

Until then though applying online has to do as we don't have another career fair until next semester :I
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 12:08 AM   #98
aozer
Lieutenant
Rep

I know a lot of kids that needed sponsorship that ended up getting sent back to India. You need to be exemplary if you want to beat out all of your peers who won’t need the additional investment.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 02:13 AM   #99
Chasing Dreams
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Understandably.

The part I hate the most is "references". I hate asking people for favours, and this is likely one of the worst things to ask a person, to me.

Eh?

I can easily give a handful of names I have worked with. If you work in close collaboration where you always give it your best, people will want to repay you however they can.

And interview process is terrifying? I guess you don't often sit in boardrooms filled with customers or prospects then. After that, you are never again impressed from a recruiter.
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
2000cs3496.50
      11-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #100
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
is this qualify
^ This. Happens all the time. WTF? I get people that come in, sit there and text during the interview - which ends pretty much immediately. Had one last week that was taking a video from the moment she walked in the door. You can't write this shit.
Appreciate 3
King Rudi13154.00
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:19 AM   #101
tigger_643
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Off topic, but this just happened to me yesterday. I was working in my office, and let off a terrible one. Within 3 seconds, my female boss comes strolling in saying "do you have a moment to go over something" and proceeded to sit down. It literally smelled like someone died and rotted whilst eating moldy eggs and she just sat right down and started talking.
I can't stop laughing. Maybe she has no sense of smell or just a wicked kinky side you didn't know about.
Appreciate 2
Run Silent15127.00
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:25 AM   #102
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Quote:
Interviewing for jobs is terrible. I DESPISE it. I'm also terrible at in person interviews. Uncomfortable as hell sitting there in a suit, some stranger that, most times, I'm smarter than asking me stupid questions, I'm an introvert to begin with, blah blah
Appreciate 4
________4158.50
fravel1644.50
      11-01-2018, 07:26 AM   #103
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
^ This. Happens all the time. WTF? I get people that come in, sit there and text during the interview - which ends pretty much immediately. Had one last week that was taking a video from the moment she walked in the door. You can't write this shit.
WTF?!
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #104
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmartyPants View Post
I'm in engineering and one question we ask to some candidates, for several reasons, is "how does a toilet work?"

Holy shit does this stump people. Typically if someone is mechanically adept they get it, no problem. If not we like to see how they work through it. We will even help.

Some answers are gems though.

One person who supposedly had 10-15 years of MRO (maintenance, repair & operations) experience and worked on large capital projects said "you pull the lever and it goes down a black hole". Uh huh, yep.

Another guy had no idea beyond float and lever. But did say his toilet was overflowing once and so he pulled the top cover and held up the float to stop the water flowing. He did this for over an hour waiting for his landlord. I kindly informed him the little valve on the wall shuts off water to the toilet.

Neither were hired.
As am I. For the interview of my first "real" job, I was asked to describe how a floor jack works. Toilet is a smarter way to go since EVERYONE has used one - floor jack can be a bit esoteric.

In general, it is a bit surprising how few engineers are 'hands-on.'
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:30 AM   #105
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
I have to say I'm glad that I have not encountered this, but then again I've not sat on the other side of the desk in about 10 years. I have thrown out "Thank you for time, but I don't think you would be a good fit for our company. Good luck on your job search." half way through interviews before. The look on their faces is genuinely priceless.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:34 AM   #106
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
I have to say I'm glad that I have not encountered this, but then again I've not sat on the other side of the desk in about 10 years. I have thrown out "Thank you for time, but I don't think you would be a good fit for our company. Good luck on your job search." half way through interviews before. The look on their faces is genuinely priceless.
I'd rather that than the aholes that act like I'm still in the running only to hide behind a generic rejection email
Appreciate 2
King Rudi13154.00
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:39 AM   #107
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Even worse are people that come in and try and BS their way through the interview. Especially when they are applying for a truck driving job. This happened last week. Didn't do well talking about his experience during the interview, even though he claimed to be driving for one company for 15 years. Got worse when he was brought out to the yard for the road test portion. I'll spare you all the technical stuff he tried to bluff through. At this point my VP knew the guy was full of it and just went with it to see how bad it would get for laughs. He didn't even know how to get the truck in gear. How the hell do you think you can bluff your way through having driving experience? Pretty scary - what if there is a company out there that didn't road test and just put the guy behind the wheel of a tractor trailer?
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:51 AM   #108
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Understandably.

That's the thing. If you aren't a shitty human being, people generally want you to be successful and are more than willing to write a reference letter or be listed as one on your resume. In all of the places I have worked/left for a better position, each time my supervisor offered to write me a letter of reference in case I needed it in the future.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:52 AM   #109
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Wow. Where the hell do you work, casting couch?

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      11-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #110
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTinline-six View Post
Wow. Where the hell do you work, casting couch?
Just an office....I guess she wanted to document to post somewhere
Appreciate 4
King Rudi13154.00
________4158.50
Germanauto9698.00