THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Winter around corner... who has snow plows or what do you use?

10-28-2018, 09:36 PM   #23
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Excuse the semi-threadjack, but how bad are stones with snowblowers. Years ago I was running the snowblower where I worked and picked up a good size stone. It broke the shear pin as it was designed to do, so no big deal. Just the time it took to replace the pin. But my driveway has an 8 foot section of stone between the end of the driveway and the street. There's a drainage culvert under it as well as the utility lines. The town doesn't mind if you pave that section, but they won't repave it or reimburse you if they need to dig it up for maintenance. I don't intend to pave it. But I have no doubt when the plows come by they'll throw some stones into the driveway along with the snow they plow. Are the newer blowers better with stones? The time I broke the one at work was back in the late 80's.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:48 PM   #24
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Looking forward to the day I never have to live around snow again.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #25
CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Excuse the semi-threadjack, but how bad are stones with snowblowers. Years ago I was running the snowblower where I worked and picked up a good size stone. It broke the shear pin as it was designed to do, so no big deal. Just the time it took to replace the pin. But my driveway has an 8 foot section of stone between the end of the driveway and the street. There's a drainage culvert under it as well as the utility lines. The town doesn't mind if you pave that section, but they won't repave it or reimburse you if they need to dig it up for maintenance. I don't intend to pave it. But I have no doubt when the plows come by they'll throw some stones into the driveway along with the snow they plow. Are the newer blowers better with stones? The time I broke the one at work was back in the late 80's.
Depends on the size of the stones. I have a friend with a gravel driveway, and by raising the snowblower skids so the blower scraper bar is 3/4" off the ground, it barely picks up any rocks.

In my experience, the biggest issue with stones is them getting jammed in between the second stage impeller and housing on a two-stage machine. Someone posted a pic of a Toro Snowmaster on the first page, and that is a large single stage with rubber paddles, which would work much better if you hit gravel.

-Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #26
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Looking forward to the day I never have to live around snow again.
same here! after I retire the wifey and I both agreed to move back to Sunny San Diego
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9701.00
      10-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #27
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Of course I usually only see it when I go for Christmas/NYE, but I always go the hand route.

First world problems. . .
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 02:52 PM   #28
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Of course I usually only see it when I go for Christmas/NYE, but I always go the hand route.

First world problems. . .
That is dedication. I at least use a shovel.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 2
________4158.50
UncleWede17979.50
      10-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
same here! after I retire the wifey and I both agreed to move back to Sunny San Diego
Yup either Cali (not shitty LA though) or Miami for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 04:22 PM   #30
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
So did I until I moved to a place with a ~100 foot driveway and had a ~36" snowfall. I was even young and fit at the time. After I finally dug out I got in the car and bought the first snowblower I could lay hands on.
Appreciate 1
UncleWede17979.50
      10-30-2018, 04:25 PM   #31
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Excuse the semi-threadjack, but how bad are stones with snowblowers.
In general, not good. I had a beast of a snowblower for many years that laughed at the gravel it heaved off my driveway. Then I got a fancy Honda and, while it tosses the gravel further, it decidedly does not like doing so. My gravel is too small to jam the machine but it is a fine size for beating the bejeezus out of the impeller housing.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:46 AM   #32
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
So did I until I moved to a place with a ~100 foot driveway and had a ~36" snowfall. I was even young and fit at the time. After I finally dug out I got in the car and bought the first snowblower I could lay hands on.
#whippersnappers.

In my day, we had to shovel uphill, both ways, barefoot, and like I said, by hand. None of this snow blower, shovel, boots/gloves namby-pamby stuff. We didn't have time for no grande half-caff soy latte with a shot of xanax either.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #33
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
#whippersnappers.

In my day, we had to shovel uphill, both ways, barefoot, and like I said, by hand. None of this snow blower, shovel, boots/gloves namby-pamby stuff. We didn't have time for no grande half-caff soy latte with a shot of xanax either.
that's what i'm currently doing now shoveling by hand. sucks pretty bad especially with long drive ways. so my neighbors would wave at me hi as they're using their fancy smancy snow blowers laughing to themselves as they see me for hours plowing the driveway and sidewalks by hand

I will report back on how the snow blade works out. worst case scenario I tell my boys to shovel the snow
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 09:58 AM   #34
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my neighbors would wave at me hi
Yeah, but when you're out there, shirtless and steaming up the neighbor's WIFE/DAUGHTER'S panties . . .

You/your boys can thank me later.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:01 AM   #35
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Yeah, but when you're out there, shirtless and steaming up the neighbor's WIFE/DAUGHTER'S panties . . .

I was unaware that the feeling of repulsion causes this reaction in women. Interesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #36
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

that's funny because i'm fairly built since I workout and I usually mow without my shirt and the wifey keeps telling me all the wifes' husbands are gonna write a letter to HOA complaining of you! the wifey teases me and says when it's hot outside you're sweating pretty good and from inside the house when I look outside you look like you're glistening
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:03 AM   #37
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I was unaware that the feeling of repulsion causes this reaction in women. Interesting.
Every now and then your wife still gets damp drawers. . .
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #38
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Quote:
#whippersnappers.

that's what i'm currently doing now shoveling by hand. sucks pretty bad especially with long drive ways. so my neighbors would wave at me hi as they're using their fancy smancy snow blowers laughing to themselves as they see me for hours plowing the driveway and sidewalks by hand

I will report back on how the snow blade works out. worst case scenario I tell my boys to shovel the snow
Oh so you want to buy a plough for status reasons... ok
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #39
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Every now and then your wife still gets damp drawers. . .
Nothing to do with me. I'll have to figure out the source.
Appreciate 0