THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Android users - am I crazy?

10-03-2018, 03:28 PM   #23
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Not interested in an 8 at all ... why would I go backwards? I'm assuiming Apple will get the charge gate issue fixed pretty quickly. However, what's your take on the XR and why do you think it's garbage?
It's the poor man's iPhone Xs
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #24
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
It's the poor man's iPhone Xs
I did not want to say that but...basically yes. LOL
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #25
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Actually, it's the size of the XR I like ... but point taken.

Since I don't want to go 8 or X then you're saying back to Android ... in which case Android users, which phone is catching your attention these days?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #26
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

Quote:
Actually, it's the size of the XR I like ... but point taken.

Since I don't want to go 8 or X then you're saying back to Android ... in which case Android users, which phone is catching your attention these days?
Note 9.....end of story.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 03:59 PM   #27
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Pixel 3 is coming out soon (supposed to be announced this week). I have a Pixel 2 XL and love it. And since its googles brain child, it generally gets updated first.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #28
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The0pportunist View Post
So weird. My experience has always been the other way around. Maybe it's simply the demographic in the area that I live in. People around here act like they reinvented the wheel because they bought an iPhone and talk shit about android users; pretty comical actually. My favorite are the people that have a multitude of those apple stickers in their back window.
Appreciate 2
      10-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #29
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i Sport (Non M)

I'm gonna be honest ive read a lot of these replies and a lot of people that prefer android just never learned or figured out the simplicity of apple? Ive had 5 or so generations of iphones (3Gs,4s,5s,6s,X) and a lot of the complaints are easy fixes? I have an imac and a macbook pro, yes its seamless with those products but I also have an Asus G752vs and i have no problem using it with that, need to send a photo in an email? not rocket science like some make it out to be, need to share a file? i have pages and word or drop box on my phone that sync on all platforms. You can merge all your data from old to new on both platforms and cross platforms so theres nothing really holding you back if you want to switch. I'm not a fan boy of either side, I just stick to apple because ive always ahd great custom service (making appointments to a local apple story is usually pretty quick for me), and its what i know and everyone has.

I'm just giving another perspective because as far as im concerned its personal preference and you can do almost everything on both platforms.
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:15 PM   #30
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Android was originally modeled to compete with Windows Phone (which was the dominate smartphone at the time). But when Apple launched the iPhone, they changed things to compete with iOS. That's why if you like Windows, Android is much more familiar to use.

That said, I find iPhone much easier to use. It is not about the features and potential (tons of stuff you can do on Android that you can't do on iPhone) but it's about the simplicity. I use my PC because I can do everything with it. Games and my work stuff run flawlessly on it. I can run anything on PC. Mac can never take that place.

But my phone is not my PC. I need it to run without fail, be simple to use and be reliable all the time. iPhone does that for me. I don't want to tinker or make my phone do everything. And iOS is so locked down that you can't catch a virus or install unapproved APKs like Android can so I never have to worry about where I browse or what I install.

That said, I like my Android TV box so I can run my pirated movies and TV
      10-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #31
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 519.E82 View Post
I'm gonna be honest ive read a lot of these replies and a lot of people that prefer android just never learned or figured out the simplicity of apple? Ive had 5 or so generations of iphones (3Gs,4s,5s,6s,X) and a lot of the complaints are easy fixes? I have an imac and a macbook pro, yes its seamless with those products but I also have an Asus G752vs and i have no problem using it with that, need to send a photo in an email? not rocket science like some make it out to be, need to share a file? i have pages and word or drop box on my phone that sync on all platforms. You can merge all your data from old to new on both platforms and cross platforms so theres nothing really holding you back if you want to switch. I'm not a fan boy of either side, I just stick to apple because ive always ahd great custom service (making appointments to a local apple story is usually pretty quick for me), and its what i know and everyone has.

I'm just giving another perspective because as far as im concerned its personal preference and you can do almost everything on both platforms.
I never really liked Apple because of the simplicity. It's too cut and dry for me and doesn't offer the depth of customization and personalization that I come to expect from Android. It has gotten better but still not enough to win me over. Also, the way Apple treats their fans when it comes to addressing issues is another huge turn off.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:27 PM   #32
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Beefaroni View Post
I never really liked Apple because of the simplicity. It's too cut and dry for me and doesn't offer the depth of customization and personalization that I come to expect from Android. It has gotten better but still not enough to win me over. Also, the way Apple treats their fans when it comes to addressing issues is another huge turn off.
Im just curious, what do you do that it lacks in those aspects, and what issues?
2008 SGM 128i - 3 Stage IM - 130i Tune - Dinan Camber Plates - BMW PE - Injen Intake - 1M Mirrors - LCI Blacklines - M4 Spoiler - Blacked 263's - Aero Bumper - Aero Side Skirts - OMGSplitter - AFE Intake Scoops
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #33
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
Im just curious, what do you do that it lacks in those aspects, and what issues?
The biggest thing for me are the widgets in Android. I have a full agenda as well as a the weather forecast one swipe away from my home screen.

In terms of the way Apple addresses issues...I'll leave explaining that to a someone who repairs these devices on a daily.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #34
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The biggest thing for me are the widgets in Android. I have a full agenda as well as a the weather forecast one swipe away from my home screen.

In terms of the way Apple addresses issues...I'll leave explaining that to a someone who repairs these devices on a daily.
Sorry to bust your balls but iphones have the widgets? I have news, weather, calendar, reminders, Hue light controls, amazon orders, and mail, all one swipe away. As for the video i will watch it
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #35
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
AntennaeGate, BendGate, BatteryGate, ChargeGate....
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #36
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to bust your balls but iphones have the widgets? I have news, weather, calendar, reminders, Hue light controls, amazon orders, and mail, all one swipe away. As for the video i will watch it
Welp. I'm glad I'm wrong about that but I still don't think Apple will win me over any time soon.
Appreciate 1
519.E82245.00
      10-03-2018, 04:48 PM   #37
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I also have a full schedule and weather a swipe from my home screen... or from my lock screen. Customizable widget screen was introduced with iOS 10 I think.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #38
519.E82
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
AntennaeGate, BendGate, BatteryGate, ChargeGate....
None of those have affected any of my phones, but i rather have a phone that can only charge through wireless charging temporarily, then explode my face off.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #39
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Android was originally modeled to compete with Windows Phone (which was the dominate smartphone at the time). But when Apple launched the iPhone, they changed things to compete with iOS. That's why if you like Windows, Android is much more familiar to use.

That said, I find iPhone much easier to use. It is not about the features and potential (tons of stuff you can do on Android that you can't do on iPhone) but it's about the simplicity. I use my PC because I can do everything with it. Games and my work stuff run flawlessly on it. I can run anything on PC. Mac can never take that place.

But my phone is not my PC. I need it to run without fail, be simple to use and be reliable all the time. iPhone does that for me. I don't want to tinker or make my phone do everything. And iOS is so locked down that you can't catch a virus or install unapproved APKs like Android can so I never have to worry about where I browse or what I install.

That said, I like my Android TV box so I can run my pirated movies and TV
What a bad history lesson.

Windows phone was launched in 2010.
iPhone in 2007, android in 2008.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #40
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post

Sorry, meant Windows Mobile - the precursor for Windows Phone.

Android was started in 2003. It is well documented that Android was started with the "Sooner" project to compete with Simbian, WebOS and Windows Mobile. This was before iOS arrived. That is why the interface has legacy menus that are distinctly like the menus in Windows OS. Windows was the dominate "smart phone" interface at the time. The early Android interfaces had a "desktop" much like computer OS did and it was not designed for touch screen use. The physical "back button" is one such legacy of this.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Android Inc. was founded in Palo Alto, California, in October 2003 by Andy Rubin, Rich Miner, Nick Sears, and Chris White.[14][15] Rubin described the Android project as "tremendous potential in developing smarter mobile devices that are more aware of its owner's location and preferences".[15] The early intentions of the company were to develop an advanced operating system for digital cameras, and this was the basis of its pitch to investors in April 2004.[16] The company then decided that the market for cameras was not large enough for its goals, and by five months later it had diverted its efforts and was pitching Android as a handset operating system that would rival Symbian and Microsoft Windows Mobile.

Speculation about Google's intention to enter the mobile communications market continued to build through December 2006.[23] An early prototype had a close resemblance to a BlackBerry phone, with no touchscreen and a physical QWERTY keyboard, but the arrival of 2007's Apple iPhone meant that Android "had to go back to the drawing board".[24][25] Google later changed its Android specification documents to state that "Touchscreens will be supported", although "the Product was designed with the presence of discrete physical buttons as an assumption, therefore a touchscreen cannot completely replace physical buttons".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_(operating_system)

Last edited by Z K; 10-03-2018 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #41
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post

I think he means Windows Mobile, not Windows Phone but I wouldn't have called WM the dominant phone at the time of the iPhone 1 ... I seem to recall something about RIM, made a device called BlackBerry?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #42
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I think he means Windows Mobile, not Windows Phone but I wouldn't have called WM the dominant phone at the time of the iPhone 1 ... I seem to recall something about RIM, made a device called BlackBerry?
Yes, Windows Mobile.

Android was started in 2003 and the goal was to create a OS to rival the top smartphone OSes at the time, this was way before iPhone existed. Android changed direction after iOS came out but as I said, many of the legacy interfaces carried over.

That is also why I can connect a mouse and keyboard to my Android box and use it like a desktop computer.

Android's target was to take on Microsoft. Eric Shmidt CEO of Google said they were afraid of Windows and that they were targetting Windows - not iOS.
Quote:
Well, at the time, we were quite concerned about Microsoft's products. It's hard to relate to that now, but at the time we were very concerned that Microsoft's mobile strategy would be successful.

It's also true at the time that the primary player in the industry was Nokia, who had an operating system called Symbian, which we were also concerned about.

This was before the iPhone was announced and before the whole iPhone revolution occurred.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/14/1...one-not-iphone
      10-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #43
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Note 9.....end of story.
Kind of too big, no? I already think my S8+ is a bit long.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:54 PM   #44
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_Judy View Post
Note 9.....end of story.
Kind of too big, no? I already think my S8+ is a bit long.
You'll get used to how big it is. I had to tell my girlfriend the same thing for a while.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50